Status
Not open for further replies.

ChPhx96

I've programmed in the frequencies and IDs on the APS SmartZone Trunking system found here. But, I turned on ID search and I keep seeing ID 4816, which seems to be very active and very clear. Does anyone have any idea what this talk group is for?

ChPhx96

Hopefully this brings it to others' attention, because I have it saved as "Unknown" and it's the most active talk group.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Speaking of APS word on the street is they bought a new system from Harris.

Interesting. I knew that APS engaged Harris earlier this year to handle frequency rebanding work on the existing Motorola system, but that project did not involve a new system (of course, that work wouldn't be needed if they were installing a new system).

Do you have any more specifics or online references to information about the new system you heard of?

Dan

radioguru6613

Interesting. I knew that APS engaged Harris earlier this year to handle frequency rebanding work on the existing Motorola system, but that project did not involve a new system (of course, that work wouldn't be needed if they were installing a new system).

Do you have any more specifics or online references to information about the new system you heard of?

Dan

I won't be in Phoenix until the 11th after we leave Texas I've been chatting with someone in Phoenix that keeps my equipment up to date, he's connected and shared that tidbit. I wasn't able to find out anything online either, Harris doesn't update their press release page.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Hopefully this brings it to others' attention, because I have it saved as "Unknown" and it's the most active talk group.

You can also submit what you have identified to the database too. Does it sound like the APS folks, i.e. electrical in nature ? Or does it sound like LE ? Or what does it sound like ?

Also, which site are you hearing this TG on? Many times on APS, the TG is not active on even the surrounding sites, but mainly heard on one site.

These things help to take it from "unknown".

I'll give a listen down here in the Tucson area for a bit :)

Thanks,

ChPhx96

You can also submit what you have identified to the database too. Does it sound like the APS folks, i.e. electrical in nature ? Or does it sound like LE ? Or what does it sound like ?

Also, which site are you hearing this TG on? Many times on APS, the TG is not active on even the surrounding sites, but mainly heard on one site.

These things help to take it from "unknown".

I'll give a listen down here in the Tucson area for a bit :)

Thanks,

I think it might be them. I've heard them talking about pole numbers which I assume are those numbers you see vertically on power poles. Tomorrow is my day off, so I'll pay closer attention, and perhaps transcribe a few conversations here. I've also found a few more active IDs on that system. They are 4880, 14448, 11376, 1712, and 368. Based on addresses they mentioned, I assume that 4816 is Phoenix (or North Phoenix) and 11376 is Tempe. I'll post some more info tomorrow.

rwier

In Phoenix, AZ, and using the HP-1(E):

In my primary FL (Home 1), I observed that I had the APS System programmed in previously. It has probably been in the scanner more than three years. I renamed the System APS (OLD). This old APS System only had one (1) Department (APS). This Department (APS) has three (3) Channels. They are APS Field Operations, APS Field Operations, and APS Transmission Maintenance. I set all 3 channels to Avoid Off. This System is showing 28 Sites. I avoided all except the three (3) named Aguila (Maricopa), Oatman Mountain (Maricopa), and Shaw Butte (Maricopa).

I then created a new APS System in the same FL (Home 1), and named it APS (NEW)1. This was using the HP DB that was in the scanner. It might be be "outdated" by several months. This new System has four (4) Departments. I avoided 3 of these departments, "Arizona Division of Emergency Management", Arizona State Agencies, and Miscellaneous. This leaves department APS, which is showing Nineteen (19) Channels. I avoided all except #2 APS Field Operations, #3 APS Field Operations, and #4 APS Transmission Maintenance. This System is also showing 28 Sites. I again avoided all except the three (3) named Aguila (Maricopa), Oatman Mountain (Maricopa), and Shaw Butte (Maricopa).

At this time I updated the HP DB. I then created a new APS System in the same FL (Home 1), and named it APS (NEW)2. This was using the HP DB that was just updated. This new System has four (4) Departments. I avoided 3 of these departments, "Arizona Division of Emergency Management", Arizona State Agencies, and Miscellaneous. This leaves department APS, which is showing Nineteen (19) Channels. I again avoided all except #2 APS Field Operations, #3 APS Field Operations, and #4 APS Transmission Maintenance. This System is also showing 28 Sites. I again avoided all except the three (3) named Aguila (Maricopa), Oatman Mountain (Maricopa), and Shaw Butte (Maricopa).

I set Sentinel to upload to the HP-1(E). I set the scanner to scan only FL (Home 1), Systems APS (OLD), APS (NEW)1, and APS (NEW)2. As the scanner began scanning, right away I noticed something unusual. The scanner is spending right at one (1) second on each System. This is a lot faster than usual. I suppose that this is due to all of the TGs being Analog?

Using the Analysis function of the HP-1 (E), and analyzing the three (3) Sites being used for all three System scans, I determined that I am receiving a signal only from the Shaw Butte Site. I now have avoided all Sites but the Shaw Butte Site. I am located near I-17 and Greenway and the signal off of Shaw Butte is very strong (8.5/10) and of maximum quality (100%). However, activity is shown as basically non-existent.

It is about midnight, lol. I'll listen to this configuration for a few days and report on any activity heard.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Rob,

Wow, some extra work there :)

I travel throughout the state quite frequently, and I can tell you that the APS system, on the whole, is very quiet.

That being said, I have come across new TG's, most, I would categorize as some form of APS related TG's.

Over the past couple of days, I've heard two new TG's consistently from the Tucson area, off the Mt Lemmon sites.

TG3472 which used DTMF tones to get the attention of someone. The person calling ID'd himself as "West Phoenix", and said it was just a radio check and was gone.

TG27248, which is almost always patched with TG27280 (Casa Grande), most assuredly an APS Field Ops TG. Locations mentioned include Prescott Valley.

APS has always been a challenge due to the widespread availability of the TRS itself, and the low usage of the same system, making TG ID's a bit of a challenge to properly ID.

AZ DEMA still conducts tests on it, but haven't heard AFIT in a very long time.

We did a mass look at this system a few years ago and were lucky to ID a few more items, but this system continues to offer challenges, for those willing to accept :)

Likely to see the most activity during inclement weather as lines get knocked down, power outages, etc.

rwier

Rob, Wow, some extra work there :) ...

Hi John,

Took 10-20 times as long to type the narrative as it did to create, program, and upload the 3 new systems to the scanner.

Switching to Discovery Mode, as a result, I. can only analyse 1 System at a time..Will run each TRS for 24 hours.

Thanks,
Rob

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Wow ! That was started in 2006 and we still don't have this one under control LOL. Time to revisit this.

I just completed a quick trip to Farmington, NM and went via Pima, Pinal, Gila, Navajo, and Apache counties and didn't hear a peep out of any of the APS sites.

Even my dedicated HP-1 on MT L-S is only catching four TG's....

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Ok folks,

I updated the database with information based upon these discussion group submissions, as well as, some information submitted to me personally.

I corrected and/or deleted some talkgroups as they were incorrectly submitted with the Motorola status-bit entries on. Back way when, the database did not check for that, but it does now. As a side note, any talkgroup not evenly divisible by 16, is the talkgroup plus the Motorola status bit. So, all of those odd numbers were corrected to the talkgroup that all radios will hear the activity on.

Feel free to take a look and update as necessary the submissions that I just made to the database.

Also, I will in the near future create a Wiki entry that is associated to the APS TRS, so that we may be able to collaborate on the many unknown talkgroups....

Thanks one and all....

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
APS TRS Wiki Created

Ok folks,

It's later :)

I just created a start-point for us to look at the inner workings of the APS TRS system.

It is found in the associated Wiki page to the database entry page for the APS TRS. I've done this with some other systems too, in case you haven't noticed this. There is a "Wiki" button just to the right of the title, once you are on the APS TRS page. If an associated Wiki was created by myself or anyone, it will display it for you. If there is none, you'll see nothing :(

That being said, anyone can create an associated Wiki, for items that may not be included in the database, which helps us to understand what we are listening to. There are guidelines for doing this, so be sure to check that what you add is within the Wiki Guidelines.

The Wiki link I just created is at the following:

Arizona Public Service Corporation - The RadioReference Wiki

Please keep in mind that anyone can edit the Wiki data, but if you do, please follow the protocol and identify what was added/changed/edited, etc. This helps with currency and the validity of the data.

As they say in Germany, Viel Spass !

ChPhx96

Wow, I wasn't expecting this kind of response to my simple question. You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for all of your effort.
I've also made a 7 minute video of a conversation on 4880. Most of it sounds like instructions being read to someone on the field. You can see the video here.
youtu.be/q4Zr10sv1d8

Last edited:

kd7ckq

Sounds like North East Valley. Maybe Scottsdale or Fountain Hills area. I hear the same type of traffic on 24080 FLAGSTAFF - APS Field Operations and 24208 SNOWFLAKE/HAPPY JACK - North East District.
Could be a Outage or Field ops channel.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I've programmed in the frequencies and IDs on the APS SmartZone Trunking system found here. But, I turned on ID search and I keep seeing ID 4816, which seems to be very active and very clear. Does anyone have any idea what this talk group is for?

I can tell you that in the recent storms, they used this TG to manage the replacement of eight large power poles brought down in a a microburst....two weeks ago. This is in the area of 51st ave and Union Hills in NW Phoenix.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
TG3472 is associated to the APS ECC (Energy Control Center). Heard the APS ECC talking with Yucca and Red Hawk. This is in addition to West Phoenix.

Heard the APS ECC call on the Mule Mountain repeaters, so this one seems to be system wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.