WS1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber
I just got a WS1040 from Amazon yesterday. I am a ham operator, so I know a lot about conventional radio, but the digital trunked stuff has totally got me baffled. I have a handheld using the stock rubber- ducky antenna (unfortunately, an external antenna is out of the question). My QTH is Scottsdale/Osborn. I am literally across the street from the hospital. I use PSREdit software, bought and paid for. After progamming the scanner for Scottsdale, MCS0, DPS, Phoenix PF & Fire, Tempe, Chandler, Pinal County and some airccraft, I am not getting much TRS traffic and only SOME DPS. When I program site locations, should I use Thompson or Simulcast H: Scottsdale or both or what? I'm not sure how that works. I would think that I can get Thompson Peak just fine. I DO get MCSO pretty oftend and very, very sporatic Phx PD and SOMETIMES Phx Fire Digital. The TRS traffic that I do get is full quieting. In scan mode, the S meter is full bars. Is there maybe a signal strength setting I need to write to the radio? I am disappointed with my new toy. Can somebody please help?

Perhaps its my QTH.

KB7MIB

One issue with simulcast systems, is that your scanner is receiving the same data from multiple transmitter sites, all slightly out of phase, so each signal interferes with the others. This is multi-path interference.
Unless you are in exactly the right spot, or you can put up a directional antenna and figure out the best direction to point it in, in order to isolate just one of the simulcast transmitter sites and null the others within range, your reception of the RWC simulcast system will be hit or miss. You'll have to walk around inside your house to figure out the best spot to locate your scanner.

As for what to program, you want Simulcast H for all of Scottsdale PD. The Thompson Peak IR site only carries the North channel. You may hear some Scottsdale TG's on Simulcast B as well.

Phoenix FD K-decks can be heard on both Simulcasts B and H. The Thompson Peak IR site typically only carries K-2.

Phoenix PD can be heard on Simulcast A, and at least a few precinct TG's should be carried on Simulcast H.

Tempe PD will be on Simulcast F. Simulcast F will also carry Phoenix FD K-decks, and perhaps a Phoenix PD precinct or two.

Chandler PD will be on Simulcast C, again, along with Phoenix FD K-decks and a Phoenix PD precinct or two. I don't know if you're within range of Simulcast C.

For MCSO, you want the Maricopa County Thompson Peak site, and maybe the Central Courts site. (Thompson Peak, White Tanks, and Central Courts typically carry all MCSO traffic. Any other sites are fill-in only, and only carry traffic if a deputy's radio affiliates with that site.)

For DPS on the Pima leg of the 101, you want Metro East and Metro East Tac. CI 2 is probably worth programming in as well.

I like to monitor ADOT on the AZWINS system in conjunction with the DPS conventional channels. The ALERT East TG in particular would help keep you abreast of a freeway closure on the 101 Pima due to collisions, but the other ADOT TG's can be useful as well, particularly for construction closures, as opposed to collision closures. Use the Thompson Peak, North Mtn. and South Mtn. sites for that system.

Good luck.

John
Peoria

Last edited:

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber
Thank so much, I will change it to Simulcast H. Hopefully that does the trick.

Also, who uses MCSO Central?

Steve

KB7MIB

Civil service deputies. Those who serve various subpeonas, other court orders and the like. I'm not sure who else may, as I don't typically listen to it. Perhaps the constables, although I occasionally hear the West dispatcher include a constable or two in the Code 20 rollcalls.

Central isn't a patrol TG, although you may catch a hot call dispatched out on it depending on how the TG's get patched by the dispatcher, and how your scanner handles patched TG's when they do. I've heard hot calls go out on Info as well. I'm not sure if a deputy who is on Central and who witnesses a traffic violation or a crime in progress will switch to East or West, or if they will just go on Central. I've never heard that happen, since I don't normally listen to Central.

John
Peoria

Last edited:

Cameron1055

Hello, I live in the same area as you, but I have all uniden scanners and a radio shack scanner, I can hear all of Scottsdale on Simulcast H and Thompson Peak, but mainly listen to Simulcast H. I prefer to hand program rather than use a computer.

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber
Programming

i agree with you on hand programming, but unfortunately I had a stroke that left me paralysed on my entire left side and my vision is not so good now, so I have no choice but to program it with my PC. But if I was able, I'd program it by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.