TEMPE PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF7SVY

Hi is there anything about Tempe PD I need to know? I have tried for hours to get this to work It is SUPPOSED to be a P25 system on the RWC system. Anyone know what I am missing here?

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Well, what have you tried? Some of Tempe PD is encrypted, but not all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InlandAZ

Which CC's are you using? I have both Simulcast C & F for my control channels and hear them quite frequently.

KB7MIB

Assuming that your scanner is programmed correctly, the problem may be the LSM, or Linear Simulcast Modulation, that the RWC (and TOPAZ RWC) utilizes.
Each of the Simulcasts has multiple transmitter locations, which can cause multi-path interference. This essentially cancels out the digital signal in our scanners, because they don't have the same circuitry that commercial grade two-way radios do to handle it.

One potential fix, at least for a base scanner at home, is to buy a directional antenna, and experiment with which direction to point it in. (Pointing it at the closest tower site isn't always the best direction.)

A second fix would be to purchase a Unication G4 or G5 P25 pager, which has a commercial grade receiver that handles LSM systems such as the RWC and the TOPAZ RWC.

Good luck.

John
Peoria

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Hi is there anything about Tempe PD I need to know? I have tried for hours to get this to work It is SUPPOSED to be a P25 system on the RWC system. Anyone know what I am missing here?

Make sure you have Simulcast F enabled and are able to receive from your location. Tempe PD talkgroups are currently only carried on this site. Tempe is quite active on talkgroups 2601 A2 North and 2603 A4 South of the RWC.

KF7SVY

UPDATE

Make sure you have Simulcast F enabled and are able to receive from your location. Tempe PD talkgroups are currently only carried on this site. Tempe is quite active on talkgroups 2601 A2 North and 2603 A4 South of the RWC.

Thanks for trying to help. I have tried over and over. I go to RR and download the plug. I make sure I use Simulcast F. I hear ASU. I don't here Tempe. Honestly the radio was just for fun. I am not going to go base station and of antennas and do any of that. I am really not at that interest level. Frankly, I have put the radio back in the drawer and am working on my ham radios for a while. Figure anything that is supposed to be fun that ends up making me angry sure ain't worth it. Thanks for trying to help!

KF7SVY

hi

Which CC's are you using? I have both Simulcast C & F for my control channels and hear them quite frequently.

I use Simulcast F. Clearly I am doing something wrong. Just have tried like 10 times and it never works. I hear ASU. I LIVE in TEMPE. Frankly I am just kinda done. Radio back in box, back in drawer.

KF7SVY

Assuming that your scanner is programmed correctly, the problem may be the LSM, or Linear Simulcast Modulation, that the RWC (and TOPAZ RWC) utilizes.
Each of the Simulcasts has multiple transmitter locations, which can cause multi-path interference. This essentially cancels out the digital signal in our scanners, because they don't have the same circuitry that commercial grade two-way radios do to handle it.

One potential fix, at least for a base scanner at home, is to buy a directional antenna, and experiment with which direction to point it in. (Pointing it at the closest tower site isn't always the best direction.)

A second fix would be to purchase a Unication G4 or G5 P25 pager, which has a commercial grade receiver that handles LSM systems such as the RWC and the TOPAZ RWC.

Good luck.

John
Peoria

YEAH I am assuming IT ISN'T. I am not denying I am probably the issue here, not the radio. Just stumped.

KB7MIB

I have a GRE PSR-500, and am unable to receive Simulcast G, which covers the West Valley, or Simulcasts A & B which cover the City of Phoenix.
Yes, it's programmed properly. It just can't handle the LSM issues.
I am fortunate however, in that Peoria PD can be heard on the White Tanks and Towers Mtn IR sites, and is receivable most of the time. Surprise PD is also carried on the White Tanks IR.
I cannot, however, listen to Glendale PD, El Mirage PD, or Tolleson, Avondale or Goodyear PD's.
By listening to the Thompson Peak IR, I can hear Phoenix PD's Black Mtn 200 precinct in far north Phoenix, but I can't hear the Cactus Park 900 precinct or the Maryvale/Estrella 800/300 precinct on either Simulcast A or G, where they're carried.
On occasion, I can hear Phoenix FD's K-1 and K-6 off of the Towers Mtn IR, and I can hear K-2 off of either the White Tanks or Thompson Peak IR's, but most of my listening to the FD is limited to the analog VHF channels. I'd really like to be able to hear K-10 through K-15, because they're the most exciting K-decks to listen to, with the mountain rescues and major motor vehicle accidents.

John
Peoria

Last edited:

KF7SVY

Thanks

I have a GRE PSR-500, and am unable to receive Simulcast G, which covers the West Valley, or Simulcasts A & B which cover the City of Phoenix.
Yes, it's programmed properly. It just can't handle the LSM issues.
I am fortunate however, in that Peoria PD can be heard on the White Tanks and Towers Mtn IR sites, and is receivable most of the time. Surprise PD is also carried on the White Tanks IR.
I cannot, however, listen to Glendale PD, El Mirage PD, or Tolleson, Avondale or Goodyear PD's.
By listening to the Thompson Peak IR, I can hear Phoenix PD's Black Mtn 200 precinct in far north Phoenix, but I can't hear the Cactus Park 900 precinct or the Maryvale/Estrella 800/300 precinct on either Simulcast A or G, where they're carried.
On occasion, I can hear Phoenix FD's K-1 and K-6 off of the Towers Mtn IR, and I can hear K-2 off of either the White Tanks or Thompson Peak IR's, but most of my listening to the FD is limited to the analog VHF channels. I'd really like to be able to hear K-10 through K-15, because they're the most exciting K-decks to listen to, with the mountain rescues and major motor vehicle accidents.

John
Peoria

Well thanks. At least now I know it probably isnt me! Thats why I am not too into scanning. I knew a lot has been encrypted. If I cant hear Tempe I really have little reason to listen in my opinion. Oh well not a biggie. Didn't spend a lot and maybe I will sell it for a few bucks back!

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Well, you can still use it for DPS, if you’re into those calls. They’re my favorite, personally. Aviation band is also fun, especially when you live close to an airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

DPS
ADOT (Enforcement and especially ALERT can be interesting)
MCSO
Other county agencies, such as MCDOT's REACT emergency traffic control unit
ASU
Phoenix Regional Fire (VHF)
Mesa Regional Fire is supposed to be reestablishing their own set of VHF channels, but at least their dispatch can currently be monitored via the Thompson Peak and Shaw Butte IR sites of the TOPAZ RWC, even if the Mesa simulcast gives you the same issues as the RWC Simulcast F does.
Ft. McDowell FD is on the TOPAZ RWC. (PD is encrypted.)
Rural/Metro FD is on VHF
Sky Harbor air traffic control. (The RWC IR site is encrypted except for one general dispatch TG.)
The Union Pacific railroad runs through Tempe
The Light Rail can be monitored via the South Mtn, North Mtn, and Thompson Peak IR sites of the RWC.

Salt River FD is in the clear, although their system is P25 Phase II, which your scanner can't receive. PD is encrypted. I believe that Gila River FD (clear) and PD (encrypted) are the same on their P25 Phase II system.

There's still plenty to listen to in the area, though.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.