RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Funny how many of the "full-encrypters" are the more small-time departments, while Phoenix PD, which handles more major incidents than all of those departments put together at least leaves dispatch in the clear. Other major departments across the nation also leave dispatch in the clear. Makes you wonder why a podunk town like Marana thinks it needs full encryption....and makes it pretty clear that they really DON'T. It's called CYA....the less the public sees and hears the better. When mistakes happen, the public is less likely to know.

My home town PD (Glendale) has the best approach of all. All dispatch, and most incidents are in the clear. Only if something really needs an encrypted talk group does it get switched. The only other exception is when something like a perimeter is going to tie up a channel for a long time, then they will switch it which is understandable. They are the most transparent agency in the valley using P25 simulcast that I know of.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2018, 11:17 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is a list of fully encrypted agencies that maintained by Radio Reference Users:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde...ypted_Agencies

Feel free to edit if an agency is missing or not correct.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7CQ View Post
Funny how many of the "full-encrypters" are the more small-time departments, while Phoenix PD, which handles more major incidents than all of those departments put together at least leaves dispatch in the clear. Other major departments across the nation also leave dispatch in the clear. Makes you wonder why a podunk town like Marana thinks it needs full encryption....and makes it pretty clear that they really DON'T. It's called CYA....the less the public sees and hears the better. When mistakes happen, the public is less likely to know.

My home town PD (Glendale) has the best approach of all. All dispatch, and most incidents are in the clear. Only if something really needs an encrypted talk group does it get switched. The only other exception is when something like a perimeter is going to tie up a channel for a long time, then they will switch it which is understandable. They are the most transparent agency in the valley using P25 simulcast that I know of.
I've always wondered why if a large metro city like Los Angeles could get away with using no encryption, why a small City with less than 60,000 and much less crime needed to fully encrypt.

In my town, everything is in the clear and still analog, and not likely to change anytime soon due to lack of money. I'm sure they could encrypt if they wanted to though since they have motorolla radios with the encryption switch on it, but they never use it, even on the tactical channel when they do search warrants, and drug raids.
Old 02-24-2018, 8:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I used to make fun of smaller departments that went the encrypted route for wanting to hide their lack of activity. Not so sure now. I think a lot of it is a combination of pressure from salesmen looking to increase the price of a small contract with extras and the "Homeland Security" mentality that's gripped the entire country's law enforcement community over the last decade-plus.
I also think large departments don't go total encryption simply because the option is sold per-radio, and it ain't cheap. When you're buying thousands of radios, you have to buy extra batteries before you buy an option that realistically isn't needed most of the time.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0doz View Post
I used to make fun of smaller departments that went the encrypted route for wanting to hide their lack of activity. Not so sure now. I think a lot of it is a combination of pressure from salesmen looking to increase the price of a small contract with extras and the "Homeland Security" mentality that's gripped the entire country's law enforcement community over the last decade-plus.
I also think large departments don't go total encryption simply because the option is sold per-radio, and it ain't cheap. When you're buying thousands of radios, you have to buy extra batteries before you buy an option that realistically isn't needed most of the time.
Sold per radio? I might be missing something, but let me use Phoenix PD as an example. Any radio can go to an encrypted talk group at any time. All radios are capable of encryption. Therefore there would be no extra cost to simply use full time encryption on all talk groups. Now 20 years ago it was as you say. Detective radios could use encryption but most radios couldn't. Once they moved to their new P25 system about 12 years ago every officer then had the ability to move to any encrypted talk group. I believe most modern P25 systems work in this way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2018, 2:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Encryption can be strapped full time to TG now, rather than per radio like it may have used to be, so I think the cost has gone down.

Or, like a lot of things, the cost of technology has simply decreased over time.

Unfortunately.

I may be wrong, of course.

John
Peoria
Old 02-25-2018, 8:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Like anyone else, I can only go by what I'm told. In this case, I've been told more than once that features such as encryption are options that are purchased on a per-unit basis.