Unication G4 / G5 on RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone using the Unication G4 or G5 to listen to the RWC?

I ordered a G4 today, downloaded the software, and already have my program file awaiting the G4's arrival. The software has a couple of areas where it could be improved, but overall it's surprisingly easy to use.

I would be interested in hearing how others have set up their "zones" / "systems" / "knob positions" to handle the various simulcasts, departments, talk groups, etc., to work best with the RWC. Phoenix PD is probably the biggest challenge of any department. Since it's not technically a scanner, creative programming is required to achieve what one wants to do with the G4 / G5. I think I have found a pretty good system, but I'm interested in hearing ideas from others as well.

I am SO looking forward to being able to listen to simulcast and actually hear everything without the cut-outs.

HEReAZ

Premium Subscriber
I have the g5 and it works great for me.
so my zones are my department i like to listen to.
knob one in each zone is all the dispatch in one. kind of like scanning all. the other 7 knobs are individual district dispatch so to hold on a certain dispatch.
hope that make sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, and that's what I'm doing basically.

With Phoenix PD Simulcast A (zone one), knob one is all of the A & B Dec TGs, and then the rest of the knobs are individual TGs so I can "park" on a given TG to follow what is going on if I hear something good. Scottsdale and other smaller agencies are nice, because I can do the same, but not even need all of the knobs to cover the smaller number of TGs. My Phoenix FD / Simulcast B zone works out well with the eight knobs. I also have a Simulcast G zone, that catches Glendale, El Mirage, and Avondale, as well as a Glendale only zone, and zones for the South Mountain, North Mountain, and White Tanks RWC sites.

Maybe you could provide a dropbox link for the video or use Youtube? If not no big deal, just suggestions. I appreciate the feedback.

From what I am hearing the Unication G4 & G5 blow away traditional scanners at simulcast reception, so I can't wait to see how mine works.

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
I have the G4, and it works great here in Phoenix. I am near 27th ave & Camelback. NO Simulcast distortion at all. I monitor Phoenix PD, Fire, Mesa FD, TOPAZ System, RWC Sim A,B,C, Scottsdale PD, Chandler & Tempe & ASU PD.

HEReAZ

Premium Subscriber
i don’t have a dropbox,and this evening i can try create a youtube then give u the link.

HEReAZ

Premium Subscriber
so for me.
zone: 1 is Phx Pd on simulcast A
ch knob 1 is all phx dispatch scan all
ch knob 2 is maryville dispatch
ch knob 3 is mountain view dispatch
zone: 2 is Scott Pd on simulcast south scottsdale
ch knob 1 scottsdale north & south dispatch
ch knob 2 is north dispatch only
ch knob 3 is South Dispatch.
those are just examples.
but that’s how i got it laid out for each PD i listen too.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the infomation HEReAZ, you are doing pretty much exactly what I am.

mswells, the fact that you are scanning all of those Simulcasts from your one location is amazing to me, considering that no traditional scanner could never get all of those from any location, regardless of antenna type, and I've owned every model of digital scanner ever made, so I speak from first-hand experience. I'm psyched!

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
KR7CQ, I can email you the pps file I use for my G4... if you want to take a look at it...let me know your email.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to report back after the first day on the RWC with the G4. In short, it's amazing. Whether stationary or mobile, it's probably 98% on the receive side, and the decode is very good. I was surprised to find that the most amazing thing isn't just the way it handles simulcast, but actually the range this thing works at. It decodes far-off simulcasts that no handheld scanner could ever dream of picking up at all. It can pick up a tower 9-10 miles away with the antenna off (2-3 bars)! And that is sitting deep inside of a metal-framed building! And I'm not talking about a tower on a mountain, but the simulcast G towers which have antennas maybe 30-40' off the ground. Simulcast G has always been tough to bring in with various scanners, but is no issue with the G4. You can also drive around the Phoenix area listening to Simulcast A without a single cutout, with the G4 just laying on your car seat. This device just shames "scanners" with simulcast systems.

The price of admission is stiff, but it's a great show.

KB7MIB

I'm curious about the programming of the G4/5.

How many channels/TG's can be programmed into it? Is it divided into X many zones, then into Y many channels under each zone?

John
Peoria

troymail

Silent Key
I'm curious about the programming of the G4/5.

How many channels/TG's can be programmed into it? Is it divided into X many zones, then into Y many channels under each zone?

John
Peoria

32 zones
8 knob positions (groups of channels) per zone
up to 64 talkgroups (single control channel) or 16 conventional channel (per knob position)

KB7MIB

And you can only listen to 1 zone at a time, correct?

If I were to be able to afford one, I'd probably just get a G4, rather than a G5. I wouldn't need the VHF or UHF coverage. I'd use it just for the RWC, and primarily just for Simulcast G (I might include the White Tanks, Towers Mtn and Quintero IR sites if that's possible), to listen to the West Valley PD's, (including Phoenix's 200/800/900 A/B, out through Surprise and Goodyear), PFD's K and L-decks, (including the West Valley department and district K-2's and K-3's), the PSAP's (East/West and the individual departments to all), and the G and Ocean-deck interoperability TG's.

Not having a computer of my own to program it would present an issue, however, lol

John
Peoria

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
If I were to be able to afford one, I'd probably just get a G4, rather than a G5. I wouldn't need the VHF or UHF coverage....John
Peoria

Same here. The only UHF stuff left that I care about is DPS and listening to them with a handheld stinks because some sites are so far away that they are super noisy but still strong enough that you can't easily squelch them. That applies to all of the frequencies. If I want to listen to them I head over to the BC780XLT connected to an outdoor antenna 30' off the ground. The G4 does all that most of us need around here these days as far as handhelds go.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
How is it programmed?

John
Peoria

I believe he meant you can't program it without a computer. There is no number keypad so it's not like a scanner that you can hand-program. The good news is that the programming isn't that hard. With some help I had my dumb mistakes figured out within three days.

troymail

Silent Key
I believe he meant you can't program it without a computer. There is no number keypad so it's not like a scanner that you can hand-program. The good news is that the programming isn't that hard. With some help I had my dumb mistakes figured out within three days.

Oops ... without.... you can't program it WITHOUT a computer.... rough day.... sorry 'but that...

Status
Not open for further replies.