Luke AFB Scanner Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

milcom_chaser

While we haven't read the rules and regs from last year, we wanted to know what your experience has been previously regarding bringing a scanner on to base property during their open house airshow?

Thank You.

KB7MIB

At least once in years past, scanners had been prohibited during the open house.
I looked at the flyer for this year's open house when it was first announced, and I didn't see any mention of scanners being prohibited, or allowed, so it could go either way at the gate when you're searched by security forces.

John
Peoria

milcom_chaser

At least once in years past, scanners had been prohibited during the open house.
I looked at the flyer for this year's open house when it was first announced, and I didn't see any mention of scanners being prohibited, or allowed, so it could go either way at the gate when you're searched by security forces.

John
Peoria

Thanks John, gonna call Lukes PAO manyana.

K2RNI

Just leave a scanner at home/hotel or in the car off base and remote tune it over the smartphone.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
It is listed on their website under prohibited items.

http://www.luke.af.mil/2018-Luke-Days/

When I went in 2016, it was not listed on their website under prohibited items, so I brought my BCD436HP along. However, when I arrived at the gate there were huge signs with prohibited items, including scanners listed. I was worried I would have to take it back to the car (about 15 minute walk away from the gate). When they checked me at security, they asked what it was... and I said it was a “radio”. They let me through. I wouldn’t press your luck.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, but why would scanners be an issue for them?

milcom_chaser

It is listed on their website under prohibited items.

2018 Luke Days

When I went in 2016, it was not listed on their website under prohibited items, so I brought my BCD436HP along. However, when I arrived at the gate there were huge signs with prohibited items, including scanners listed. I was worried I would have to take it back to the car (about 15 minute walk away from the gate). When they checked me at security, they asked what it was... and I said it was a “radio”. They let me through. I wouldn’t press your luck.

Thanks, just too much post 911 hyper-vigilant culture.

We used to sit with a group of dudes out at Edwards with our radios - it
made the show so much more interesting, especially hearing Chuck Yeager calling out his mach numbers
as he flew at altitude to make a sonic boom over the base.

K2RNI

What do you use on the scanner side of the link to receive commands from the cell phone?

Small win8 laptop with freescan and a usb serial adapter and VPN and iPhone freescan app. I've heard of people using Raspberry PI and otyer advanced setups with their own self written software but I just kept it simple.

milcom_chaser

Small win8 laptop with freescan and a usb serial adapter and VPN and iPhone freescan app. I've heard of people using Raspberry PI and otyer advanced setups with their own self written software but I just kept it simple.

That's cool. thanks for the reply.

KB7MIB

A secure United States military base?

I don't agree with their policy, but they have a right to implement it.

And scanner hobbyists/ham radio licensees have the right to not attend, and not spend money on food, drink and merchandise, if they don't like their policy.

John
Peoria

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
A secure United States military base?

I don't agree with their policy, but they have a right to implement it.

And scanner hobbyists/ham radio licensees have the right to not attend, and not spend money on food, drink and merchandise, if they don't like their policy.

John
Peoria

Very true. Their P25 is encrypted no doubt. So what does it matter? I’ve been to other military installations without this policy.

KB7MIB

They're not encrypted, actually. I regularly listen to the FD. The security forces conduct too many drills/exercises, and would tie up my scanner, making it difficult to listen to anything else I want to hear. If I could afford to do so, I'd have a couple more scanners, and dedicate one of them for the base trunked radio system.

I have to assume it's up to each base commander as to whether scanners are allowed on the base during open houses/air shows.

John
Peoria

CORN

Premium Subscriber

How much of a delay is it? Would be weird to hear smoke on after the smoke was turned on.

milcom_chaser

Apple App store says Freescan not available in the US...
Anyway around this?

Status
Not open for further replies.