F-16 Hit something during low level

Status
Not open for further replies.

milcom_chaser

10:24 Local

Gypsie F-16 flight of 2, diverting to PHX, due to one aircraft struck something upon entering low-level IR route...

Could not divert to Luke AFB as it is closed.

139.9 AM

JPSan

Extensive damage to the aircraft

The F-16 that hit a cable was a Dutch Air Force,
F-16B, #J-369.

This information was confirmed by the Dutch Defense Ministry.

Here's a photo of the aircraft involved. Photo by Jerry Gunner, U.K.

Attachments

• J-369_F-16BM_Dutch_Air_Force_(3218400344).jpg
    J-369_F-16BM_Dutch_Air_Force_(3218400344).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 434

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Is there an up-to-date list somewhere of what mil-air frequencies are actually active in central AZ? I have a huge list of frequencies but I'm probably missing several of the best ones. I didn't have this one programmed in.

KB7MIB

He may not have seen the cable, although he should have seen one or more towers that should have been supporting it.
But how low was he, not in an MOA, to hit a cable? If he was in an MOA, why is there any kind of cable there in the first place?

John
Peoria

milcom_chaser

He may not have seen the cable, although he should have seen one or more towers that should have been supporting it.
But how low was he, not in an MOA, to hit a cable? If he was in an MOA, why is there any kind of cable there in the first place?

John
Peoria

Hey John, he wasn't in a MOA, he was on an IFR low-level route when it happened. Also MOA's have a base altitude, but the pilot is responsible for all obstructions within the airspace. Think of a MOA as an overlay to a large real estate of land.

If you get your hands on a TPC (Tactical Pilotage Chart), the details of towers, tanks, and structures is numerous and comprehensive. Pilots study, and mark-up these maps before flying.

Also, it's not uncommon for F-16's to fly their IR route at 500 Ft. AGL, at 540 Knots. You can imagine things move by rather quickly.

We could surmise that being a dutch pilot, he was out here for Snowbird seasonal training, and may have not been as familiar with the route as some of our local ANG/Luke AFB pilots.

kb7yvx

Is there an up-to-date list somewhere of what mil-air frequencies are actually active in central AZ? I have a huge list of frequencies but I'm probably missing several of the best ones. I didn't have this one programmed in.

i have a group on facebook that keeps track of milcom traffic and other things going on in the area
central arizona scanner chat

https://www.facebook.com/groups/374971476028236/

jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.