Visiting Phoenix (Talkgroup question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twintip720

Premium Subscriber
So I'm flying out to Phoenix tomorrow for the week. I am very advanced with scanners but I don't know how the Phoenix FD/PD use their systems. I see there is still some analog channels being used out there but also have a p25 system. Just trying to Listen to Phoenix PD/FD and maybe a couple neighboring burbs (FD) like Scottsdale. Would love any input. Thanks

PS if anyone has a 536HP file they wanna send, I could check it out. Also I know there are a couple good PD talk groups here to listen to at night for Helicopters/Chases if you guys have one you see a lot of traffic off let me know and I will input that as well.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
So I'm flying out to Phoenix tomorrow for the week. I am very advanced with scanners but I don't know how the Phoenix FD/PD use their systems. I see there is still some analog channels being used out there but also have a p25 system. Just trying to Listen to Phoenix PD/FD and maybe a couple neighboring burbs (FD) like Scottsdale. Would love any input. Thanks

PS if anyone has a 536HP file they wanna send, I could check it out. Also I know there are a couple good PD talk groups here to listen to at night for Helicopters/Chases if you guys have one you see a lot of traffic off let me know and I will input that as well.

I'm still relatively new to the area, but let me give you some pointers:

Most every police department in the area utilizes either the Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC), or the TOPAZ Regional Wireless Cooperative P-25 systems (all the info you can find in the DB). The bulk of the metropolis is on the RWC, but the Mesa-Gilbert area is on TOPAZ. If you're into MCSO, they have their own Motorola Type 2 system, though they're working on upgrading it which is kinda slow.

Fire is a bit different. The analog (A-deck) is used for hazard calls (pretty much any incident where firefighters would have to suit up in bunker gear). Dispatch is on A-1 channel 154.19, and then the response could happen on one of the A channels (A5 for example) or K-deck channels on the RWC for non-hazard calls (medical emergencies). In that case, dispatch would tell them to use "K Deck 8" for instance when paging out.

The TOPAZ is a different world (something I personally hate). The Mesa Fire Center dispatches Mesa, Gilbert, and Apache Junction area fire companies, and they use the TOPAZ system I told you about earlier. I heard it through the grapevine that they may go to using the VHF network for hazard zone calls, but don't know how far they've come with that.

I do not have a 536HP file unfortunately.

Here's a link where you can read up on the various trunked systems. It helped me too as it greatly explains who uses what system so you can get more familiar.

Phoenix Area Trunked Radio System Quick Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

Long post, but hope it helped.

twintip720

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for the quick reaponse, makes a little more sense now. Will help when monitoring.

rwier

PS if anyone has a 536HP file they wanna send, I could check it out. .................................

Each attached .hpe file is a FL. Each FL has its own QK. These QKs will undoubtedly interfere with those of your own and will need to be changed. Also, most of the Channels/TGs are avoided as I don't monitor all of these all the time. Much editing may be necessary in order for you to utilize these FLs.

The attached FLs are the ones I use being located near I-17 and Greenway. I have a different set for both the "East Valley" and the "West Valley". If you believe that one of those groups might be preferable for your visit, let me know, and I will attach another set.

Also, I was limited to 5 attached files. I would have included LAFB. If desired, I will attach LAFB to a different "Reply".

Attachments

• Home Fire Scene.zip
    1 KB · Views: 31
  • Home Rescue Scene.zip
    767 bytes · Views: 26
  • Home Phoenix PD.zip
    1,008 bytes · Views: 29
  • Home AZ DPS.zip
    581 bytes · Views: 21
  • Airports Maricopa County.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 21

KB7MIB

The Phoenix FD Regional Dispatch Center (RDC) handles communications for:
Phoenix (also covers Paradise Valley and Laveen)
Glendale
Peoria
Sun City-Youngtown
El Mirage
Surprise
North County (Sun City West and Wittmann)
Tolleson
Avondale
Goodyear
Buckeye
Buckeye Valley
Tonopah
Harquahala Valley
Gila Bend (Rescues)
Daisy Mtn (New River and surrounding area)
Scottsdale
Tempe
Guadalupe
Chandler
Sun Lakes
Maricopa (in Pinal County)

Mesa FD RDC handles communications for:
Mesa
Gilbert
Apache Junction and surrounding area
Queen Creek
Rio Verde

The Ft. McDowell Indian Community FD uses the Mesa TOPAZ RWC, but self dispatches.

The Salt River and Gila River Indian Communities self dispatch on their own radio systems.

Luke AFB self dispatches, after the Phoenix FD RDC receives the 911 call and transfers the call to them.

Rural/Metro FD, INC. covers Carefree and Cave Creek, county islands in the East Mesa area, county areas around Queen Creek, and the adjacent San Tan Valley area in Pinal County, unincorporated areas of the West Valley not otherwise covered by other departments, and Fountain Hills.

Tonto Hills FD covers a small neighborhood in Carefree.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

I forgot to mention, Circle City-Morristown FD, at the junction of US 60 and AZ 74, or Grand Ave and Carefree Highway, as well as Wickenburg FD, are self dispatched in the far northwest Valley.

Black Canyon City FD, on I-17 north of New River, just across the Yavapai County line, is frequently assisted by Daisy Mtn FD on motor vehicle accidents.

You should also check out Phoenix FD RDC's online public CAD page. There's a link there with all of the apparatus numbering for Maricopa and Pinal County. Black Canyon City is also included:

https://htms.phoenix.gov/publicweb/

John
Peoria

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I would love to get my hands on a good ProScan or FreeScan file for Phoenix, as well. Been living out of town for a while, but plan on coming to town for a visit within the next couple of weeks. I’m sure there have been some changes. Would like to get my BCD325P2 up to date.

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwier

I would love to get my hands on a good ProScan or FreeScan file for Phoenix, as well. Been living out of town for a while, but plan on coming to town for a visit within the next couple of weeks. I’m sure there have been some changes. Would like to get my BCD325P2 up to date.
Any help appreciated.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opening ProScan, and clicking on "Database" (upper left), I am presented with 5 saved files. The names are:

1) ********\ProScan\996T BK.txt
2) ********\ProScan\996T.txt
3) ********\ProScan\996T test.txt
4) ********\ProScan\396XT.txt
5) ********\ProScan\996XT.txt

Windows Explorer indicates that the most "complex" file of the five is the *\396XT.txt (#4). It shows as size 40 KB. I have renamed said file to ProScan RR AZ Test File, zipped the same, and attaching to this post.

I am very unfamiliar with ProScan's database file manipulation options. If the above doesn't help you, give me specific (so simple a child can understand) step-by-step instructions and I will attempt to follow them.

Also, ProScan shows an importing option using the .hpd and .hpe file system. I have extensive HP-1 and *36HP files. If you believe that is a better option, give me those same details instructions for saving and attaching.

Attachments

• ProScan RR AZ Test File.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I am very unfamiliar with ProScan's database file manipulation options. If the above doesn't help you, give me specific (so simple a child can understand) step-by-step instructions and I will attempt to follow them.

I was able to import this into ProScan. Thank you!! I'll be working on updating my file that I use when traveling from where in live in Glendora, CA to the Phoenix Metro area. I will share here when complete.

Thanks again for sharing!

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Here's what I have, so far. It's in ProScan format.

Attachments

• CA to AZ-20180222.zip
    10.7 KB · Views: 11

rwier

Here's what I have, so far. It's in ProScan format.

And I was successful in getting your file into ProScan! You are probably already aware of anything I might suggest, but just in case, lol.

If one actually scanned all those Sites, TGs, and Frequencies, together with the 2 second Delays, it would probably take 5-10 minutes for the scanner to work through the list and get back to the starting point. GPS might help if your scanner does that.

Out and about in Phoenix, within a 3 mile radius of I-17 and Greenway Rd, I scan:

Phx FD
Phx Analog FD (AN 5, 6, and 10) and
RWC Site B: 770.83125 (TG K1)

Phx PD
RWC Site A: 771.68125 (TGs 200, 600, 700, and 900)

That's 3 analog and 2 site frequencies, together with 5 TGs. It would take something of special interest for me to open up additional frequencies or TGs. There's enough activity on that small group to still miss dispatch calls while the scanner is locked on unit activities.

Now that I understand ProScan a little better, I will try to attach a much larger group that I found for my 436/536 scanners. This file is probably "in-the-process" of being trimmed down and edited to my liking. Most of the stuff close to home should already be trimmed down a bit.

Attachments

• ProScan AZ.zip
    22.3 KB · Views: 33

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
If one actually scanned all those Sites, TGs, and Frequencies, together with the 2 second Delays, it would probably take 5-10 minutes for the scanner to work through the list and get back to the starting point. GPS might help if your scanner does that.

Yes, I use the 2 second hold time as a default and adjust as necessary. My delay time is generally 2 or 5 seconds, depending on how important I consider the traffic on a particular channel.

I do use GPS for some multi-site systems, but prefer to have each site saved as a separate system, along with the groups that consider that site home. I've found that works waaaaaay better than having one big honkin' system, but I do sometimes use that type of setup, for sites that I don't use often. That's when I find GPS to be a big help, when setup correctly.

I'm on my Mac right now, but I will check out your file, as soon as I get a chance. I love the idea of exchanging files with other users and comparing the info and programming strategies, more so the latter.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
This file is probably "in-the-process" of being trimmed down and edited to my liking. Most of the stuff close to home should already be trimmed down a bit.

I was able to import the files, one by one, into ProScan. Interesting stuff. I'll definitely have to give a listen to those systems, the next time I'm in town.

Do you just plug it all in and listen to it all at once? That's different than the way I monitor. I tend to only have a couple of systems enabled at a time, depending on where I am. I suppose that's why I can get away with longer hold and delay times, because I'm only scanning a few systems at a time. I would use GPS more, if it weren't for the circle radius approach. Would be great, if it were smarter than that and I could draw a border around a particular area. I suppose by the time we get to that point, it'll all be encrypted anyway.

Definitely good info, though. I appreciate it. I'll probably post an updated file, once I get further along in my process.

Cheers!

rwier

I.......................... Do you just plug it all in and listen to it all at once?............................................ Cheers!

Oh heavens no, lol. I've probably never even tried to scan 90%-95% of the total Channels and TGs in that whole set up. I keep a printout in my vehicle of the FL QKs, just in case I happen to drive to any of those areas. I rarely (probably never) scan more than 15-20 combined Channels and TGs at the same time. For additional scanning, I would simply dedicate another scanner to the task.

Also, jfyi, I go the other way with the delays. I set zero for all delays. That's just dead air that may make me miss a hot call on a different Channel/TG. To me, if it's important enough to have a long delay, it's important enough to dedicate a scanner to it.

rwier

.................... it'll all be encrypted anyway ...... Cheers!

A good example is the Phoenix PD/FD. If it's a PD "hot" call and you miss the first "dispatch" you may not ever realize something big is going on (due to "E").

Also, with the FD on-the-scene (non-medical) events being carried on analog channels, you need to be (in most cases) nearby to hear them.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I definitely use more than one radio when it's "mission critical," I usually have three with me in the car when I'm working. Used to use just one in the airplane, though. Was mostly interested in CHP calls, which is still really my main interest. here in SoCal.

rchjr

Rwier,

I have tried to open these files and cant, am using winrar. could you email them to me as a attachment by any chance?

Thanks,

Rchjr......rchjr@cox.net

rwier

Rwier,

I have tried to open these files and cant, am using winrar. could you email them to me as a attachment by any chance?

Thanks,

Rchjr......rchjr@cox.net

Are you having difficulty un-zipping my attachmentys All my attached files open in ProScan. Do you have ProScan installed on your computer? If so, which file/s exactly are you interested in?

rchjr

Yes I have proscan. I was clicking on pdf files you have and trying to unzip it and was not working.

At the risk of sounding stupid, how would I open them in proscan?

Thanks for the response

Rchjr

rwier

I got it to work by:
1) Download/copy zipped .hpe file to desktop
2) Unzip All to a new folder on the desktop (this new folder should contain one .hpe file)
3) Open ProScan
4) Upper left > Database > New
5) Name and Save the new database file (.txt) to the Desktop
6) In Proscan
7) Upper left > Database > Import > Sentinel .hpd (FLs) and .hpe files
8) Select the new folder on the Desktop
9) Select the .hpe file
10) Check All
11) Import
12) Edit if desired and Upload To Scanner

Note: I kept an eye out for a .pdf file and I failed to see one?

and sorry for the delays, probably too late now.

Status
Not open for further replies.