RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2018, 1:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Maricopa Amb in Scottsdale????

Did AMR/Rural/SW whatever they are these days loose the Scottsdale transport contract? Starting yesterday I'm hearing Maricopa601, etc being dispatched for transports in Scottsdale. Just wondering...
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2018, 4:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've heard them the past couple of days. I believe that several of them have consolidated into one big company, but I don't know if Maricopa Ambulance is a part of it.

Peoria Fire and Medical have a couple of rescues now, but the city is still served by private ambulance as well. The RDC pages them out as "PMT 19x", but they're Lifeline units. They're still using the station behind the strip mall at 85th and Peoria Aves.

John
Peoria
Old 02-20-2018, 4:44 PM

February 19th was the switch from AMR to Maricopa Ambulance. Scottsdale wanted all BLS Units only, AMR said no, they needed to be ALS Units. So Scottsdale went with Maricopa who would go BLS.
Old 02-20-2018, 8:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Glad I saw this before coming out there this weekend! What system/TGs or frequencies are they on in Scottsdale? Can't find any reference to Maricopa Ambulance in the RR database.

Thanks!

Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew...
Old 02-20-2018, 8:57 PM

I believe they are on the same Creative plumber radio system that we are on at AMR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 9:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know about the company radio system, but when responding with Scottsdale FD, they'll be on whichever RWC TG (medical response) or VHF fire channel (medical standby at a fire or hazmat scene) the FD unit(s) are assigned.

They'll be dispatched on VHF A-1/RWC K-1 the same as any other units. Their company channels will also carry dispatches, as well as movements around the city to best provide coverage, in and out of service, etc.

John
Peoria
Old 02-20-2018, 9:42 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Maricopa Amb in Scottsdale????

I think they are talkgroup 266 on the Creative System. There are references of transporting to Scottsdale Osborne, and 6xx Fire Stations.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is confirmed. I added Maricopa Ambulance to the DB.
Old 02-21-2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill71 View Post
February 19th was the switch from AMR to Maricopa Ambulance. Scottsdale wanted all BLS Units only, AMR said no, they needed to be ALS Units. So Scottsdale went with Maricopa who would go BLS.

That is crazy! Maricopa 601 and 603 i believe were dispatched to stabbings the past few days. SO hopefully no one in Scottsdale needs a ALS wagon...
Old 02-21-2018, 8:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

FD paramedics will ride in the ambulance treating the patient enroute to the hospital. The engine/ladder company will follow behind and pick them up after they deliver the patient to the ER docs.

John
Peoria
Old 02-21-2018, 9:09 PM

This is the "curse" of the Phoenix Valley! EMS here is Fire driven, us AMR Maricopa Units deal with it a lot. Our Units, our Medics are in charge, Valley Fire doesn't like that. Scottsdale was told that AMR/SW would keep Medics on the trucks, and that they were in charge...Scottsdale went with Maricopa Ambulance for that reason. The reason that this could be bad, is that if the Engine has some sort of trouble, now you have a BLS ambulance on an ALS call. I've always believed EMS and Fire should be there own Departments.
Old 02-21-2018, 9:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If the ALS unit has trouble and cannot respond, a cover ALS unit will respond in its place.
Yes, the response will be delayed, and yes, time can be critical, but there will still be a response by an ALS unit.

John
Peoria
Old 02-21-2018, 9:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This has been my opposite experience here in IL... everywhere I've lived and worked the FD encompassed EMS, and everyone worked well and seamlessly together. Of course all of the EMS units were ALS.

But now I'm taking this thread off topic... so I'll just go eat dinner and watch Olympics.

Quote:
I've always believed EMS and Fire should be there own Departments.

Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew...
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
This is the "curse" of the Phoenix Valley! EMS here is Fire driven, us AMR Maricopa Units deal with it a lot. Our Units, our Medics are in charge, Valley Fire doesn't like that. Scottsdale was told that AMR/SW would keep Medics on the trucks, and that they were in charge...Scottsdale went with Maricopa Ambulance for that reason. The reason that this could be bad, is that if the Engine has some sort of trouble, now you have a BLS ambulance on an ALS call. I've always believed EMS and Fire should be there own Departments.
This is nothing new for EMS in the Valley. I worked here when all seven ambulance companies were on "fire rotation" for the calls, some years ago. I would be heading to South Phx from a station in Goodyear and passing another company heading to West Phx for South Phx.. And yes, who is in charge in my ambulance was a constant battle. I remember our company sent PFD a letter about it after the fire medics (6 of them) made both members sit in the front and then complained they couldn't find anything they needed. We seemed to get less fire calls after that, Himmmmm........ LOL
Old 02-22-2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgaun View Post
This is nothing new for EMS in the Valley. I worked here when all seven ambulance companies were on "fire rotation" for the calls, some years ago. I would be heading to South Phx from a station in Goodyear and passing another company heading to West Phx for South Phx.. And yes, who is in charge in my ambulance was a constant battle. I remember our company sent PFD a letter about it after the fire medics (6 of them) made both members sit in the front and then complained they couldn't find anything they needed. We seemed to get less fire calls after that, Himmmmm........ LOL

Understand that...

Old 02-22-2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9DAK View Post
This has been my opposite experience here in IL... everywhere I've lived and worked the FD encompassed EMS, and everyone worked well and seamlessly together. Of course all of the EMS units were ALS.

But now I'm taking this thread off topic... so I'll just go eat dinner and watch Olympics.

I believe your area and more of the East Coast is more EMS based...have a good dinner.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just heard Maricopa 301 get dispatched by the Phoenix RDC.
It sounds like Surprise switched as well.

John
Peoria