PRWC moving to Phase 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Any ideas if and when the RWC and Topaz will switch to phase 2? I'm itching to buy a Unication G4, but want to hold off until the units have phase 2....unless it will be a long time before the valley migrates to it. Thanks!

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I can't imagine the RWC migrating to Phase 2 for at least several months. No testing has begun, and it takes months of testing before a switch. MCSO has been testing for at least three months and they still haven't switched. The G4s with P2 will be available before RWC is P2. But all of this is just opinion, no solid information has been made available.

****Looks like we are 2-3 weeks from Unication P2. I would say you are safe to pre-order now. I have to pay for my upgrade like all the other poor saps who were "early adopters".

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
At Ray's Pager Sales, you can pre-order the G4 with the P2 update for the same price as you can buy the G4 today. That offer ends March 31, and units will ship around March 31.

Unication G1 G4 & G5 Pagers - Fire & EMS Services - Ray's Pager Sales

If you can't wait, or already have a G4-5, it is rumored that the P2 update will cost around $100-130.

TRWC control channels are still advertising as only P1 capable, so they still have some Infrastructure work to do. The RWC control channels just started advertising as P2 capable this weekend. You will start seeing some P2 test talkgroups. All radios that use a talkgroup must be P2 capable, or it will revert to P1. I'm guessing there are still a lot of XTS 5000's out there that need to be replaced as I still see Phoenix officers carrying these. Since the FCC pushed back the deadline to move 700mhz to P2, there is no hurry to upgrade. If I were to guess, it will be at least 1 year before Phoenix PD, Mesa PD, Phoenix Fire, or Mesa Fire move to P2. It will probably be closer to 2 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.