AZ DPS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillH1

Hello, I am currently listening to AZ DPS District 1 in Mohave County, and I noticed that the traffic from the regular D1 frequency is being simulcasted on the DPS CID Ch 3 460.275 with a PL of 151.4. This is the first time I have heard traffic on this frequency and I was wondering if anybody knew the reason they may be broadcasting on both the normal frequency and this one. Earlier I heard a couple Zebra units which I understand are CID units, with District 2 call signs (Zebra 212 and something else I believe) on D1 frequency in Kingman. Do they do this when there are CID units in the district, or are the CID units actually broadcasting on the CID frequency then being patched onto the D1 frequency?

KB7MIB

When they do this, it's usually because of a shortage of dispatchers, so a dispatcher will patch two channels together and work both, or units from one channel will switch to another so the dispatcher only has one channel to work.

It's not unusual in the Phoenix area for CI 4 (460.500) to be patched to a West, Central or East Metro patrol channel. Likewise, Metro East and Metro South are frequently patched together, or at least the South units will switch over to the East channel, due to a lack of dispatchers. Capitol district troopers will similarly be heard on Metro Central.

Zebra units are GIITEM, Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission (yes, pronounced Get 'Em). Tac units are SWAT. David and Ida are CID. I think their ID's are independent of the district they're in.

John
Peoria

BillH1

When they do this, it's usually because of a shortage of dispatchers, so a dispatcher will patch two channels together and work both, or units from one channel will switch to another so the dispatcher only has one channel to work.

It's not unusual in the Phoenix area for CI 4 (460.500) to be patched to a West, Central or East Metro patrol channel. Likewise, Metro East and Metro South are frequently patched together, or at least the South units will switch over to the East channel, due to a lack of dispatchers. Capitol district troopers will similarly be heard on Metro Central.

Zebra units are GIITEM, Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission (yes, pronounced Get 'Em). Tac units are SWAT. David and Ida are CID. I think their ID's are independent of the district they're in.

John
Peoria

Ok thanks for the info. I've noticed they patch two Districts together when there is some sort of incident going on. Is it common for Zebra units to use CID frequencies? After a while I noticed that the two frequencies were no longer patched together, and the zebra units were using 467.275 exclusively until they said they were clear Kingman and en route back to Flagstaff. I've heard Zebra units on the D1 frequency but never on the CID frequency before. Are the Zebra call signs dependent of their districts? I thought DPS call signs starting with 2 would be D2 Flagstaff.

KB7MIB

Zebra units are usually on the CI channels, along with Tac, David and Ida, and any other CI units.
It may be different in other areas of the state, but I thought that all of the non-patrol trooper ID's were irrespective of district they operated in. It may be different outside of Phoenix metro area, or I may be wrong. I never paid too much attention to the number, just the Zebra or Tac or whathaveyou prefix for the CI units.

John
Peoria

caphab1

During Low/slower hours, two districts will commonly be patched as previously mentioned for any number of reasons, primarily shortage of dispatchers. Also if you hear another district patched for a short time and then start hearing just the district you are monitoring, another dispatcher from any other district can relieve each other so one can get up and take their break.

BillH1, as for not hearing CI on D1, it depends if the dispatcher does a full patch or not due to the ability of having ENC frequencies, they obviously dont want to rebroadcast ENC comms. Of course CI units can pop on any of the normal district channels as well. KB7MIB is right as well, normally the district they are assigned is the lead number of their callsign but there are some extenuating circumstances to that, IE CVEB is an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.