What radios work with Simulcast in the Phoenix area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidlee_64

I'm looking for input as to compatibility with Simulcast in the Phoenix metro area. I have seen reports of Beta testing of Uniden SDS100, but also looking for info on Whistler TRX-1, or WS1088. It seems encryption is the wave of the future, so Simulcast distortion may be a moot point.
What are the general areas where the towers may be located? I am in Glendale, and I figure there must be towers located on South Mountain. I know the TV towers are there. If I am close enough to any particular towers, they would overpower any others, and distortion should not be an issue.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS100 is your ONLY option for consistently good simulcast reception.

Whistler units do not handle simulcast well, and have trouble in strong signal situations to boot.

KB7MIB

This past Sunday, 3 of us did a side-by-side comparison of my GRE PSR-500, a Uniden BCD436HP, and a Uniden SDS-100 on Simulcast G of the Regional Wireless Cooperative. We were in a pizza shop at 67th Ave and Cactus Rd.

My 500 heard nothing at all.
The 436 heard about 2/3 to 3/4 of what the SDS-100 heard.
The 100 seemed to hear every transmission. No LSM issues at all.

We didn't have any Whistler models to compare. My GRE is pre-Whistler, of course.

You basically have 2 choices. Buy an SDS-100 now, or at least in the next couple of months, or wait and see how Whistler's new models do with the LSM issues, although they aren't scheduled to be released until sometime during the last 3 months of the year, according to their announcement.

A 3rd option is to buy a Unication G4 pager (700/800 MHz only) or G5 pager (700/800 MHz, plus either VHF or UHF). They handle LSM just fine. However, as pagers and not scanners, they do have limitations. You can only listen to one system at a time, and they do not have the capability to hold, or sit, on any one channel. They're always scanning. And of course they don't have the wide frequency coverage of a typical scanner.

A 4th option, is to buy a 700 MHz or 800 MHz Yagi antenna, and play around with it to figure out which direction to point it in to get the best decode from one of the simulcast system transmitter sites. However, this would only work for listening at home, and if you have a need to listen to multiple simulcast systems (G, and A and/or B) at the same time, or the Maricopa County, AZWINS, and/or some other system other than the RWC at the same time, you may be out of luck.

As for transmitter sites, the simulcast systems have multiple transmitter sites. Simulcast G, which covers the West Valley, (since you stated that you live in Glendale) has sites at the main Glendale PD station, the main Peoria PD station, the Peoria PD sub-station at fire station 197, somewhere at Lake Pleasant, and somewhere in Avondale, IIRC. Simulcasts A and B are co-located at sites throughout Phoenix, including Adobe Mtn., North Mtn., and South Mtn, but with other low level sites as well. Then there's the stand alone intellirepeater high sites, which also include North Mtn., South Mtn., and others. (Glendale PD can be heard on both Simulcasts G and B, but none of the IR high sites. Phoenix PD's Black Mtn, Maryvale and Cactus Park precincts can be heard on both Simulcasts A and G, but only the Black Mtn precinct can also be heard on the Thompson Peak IR High site. Peoria PD can be heard on both Simulcasts G and B, as well as on the White Tank Mtn's IR High site full time, and the Towers Mtn IR High site part of the time when a radio affiliates with it. The K-deck EMS talkgroups used by the Phoenix FD's regional dispatch center, which includes Glendale, Peoria and many other departments, can be heard on Simulcasts G and B, but only the K-2 talkgroup can be heard on the White Tank Mtn's and Thompson Peak IR High sites.)

If you go to the database and click on the various sites, that will bring up a new page that includes a map with the transmitter sites.

John
Peoria, AZ

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for input as to compatibility with Simulcast in the Phoenix metro area. I have seen reports of Beta testing of Uniden SDS100, but also looking for info on Whistler TRX-1, or WS1088.
Uniden SDS100 or Unication G4/G5. These radios are designed to work on simulcast systems. The Unication G4/G5 are not "scanners", and were designed for a different purpose, but work well on simulcast systems.

It seems encryption is the wave of the future, so Simulcast distortion may be a moot point.

There is A LOT to listen to in the Phoenix Metro area that is not encrypted. It depends on what you want to monitor. If you want to monitor Phoenix PD, Fire, Glendale PD, Peoria PD, AZ DPS, etc., then your scanner will be busy non-stop. If you are looking to monitor Buckeye PD or Goodyear PD, then you will be disappointed.

What are the general areas where the towers may be located? I am in Glendale
The site that covers Glendale is Simulcast G. Below is a link with transmitter locations.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteFCCMap&siteId=15198

If I am close enough to any particular towers, they would overpower any others, and distortion should not be an issue

If you are close to one transmitter, but can receive another transmitter, you will still likely have problems with radios other than SDS100 or Unication G4/G5. If you are between 2 or more transmitters, you will have a lot of problems!

I'm I figure there must be towers located on South Mountain. I know the TV towers are there.
The RWC has 3 transmitters on South Mountain:
1 of the 6 transmitters for Simulcast C, 1 of the 5 transmitters for Simulcast F, and the South Mountain High site which is a non-simulcast transmitter that is primarily for redundancy and coverage in outlying areas.

If you are new to monitoring the RWC, here are some references for what is carried on each site of the RWC.
http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...5999-comprehensive-list-what-citie-sites.html
Phoenix Area Trunked Radio System Quick Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Click on the callsigns. There are 2 seperate licenses for Simulcast G. (I forgot a few sites in my post above.)

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=15198

The site on Iron Age Dr is in the Quintero sub-division on Carefree Highway west of Lake Pleasant, and is actually a seperate IR High site that only carries traffic if a subscriber radio is in the sub-division. There is no Simulcast G site there.

John
Peoria

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
At this point, from what I have seen in my own personal situation, the G4 works much better than the SDS100, not even close. But I may have received a defective unit...still doing more testing. The SDS100s strongest suite seems to be the ability to drive around in a car and get good simulcast reception as long as one or more towers is close....and performance oddly seems to vary by simulcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.