RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 9:48 AM

Question Cochise County Upgrades

Noob here. I used to be able to monitor SVFD, SVPD, FTHFD and DPS on my analog handheld scanner. Obviously things have changed. I know that they are consolidating in the new comm center (July 19 last I heard).

Here’s my questions. (1) What type of system do I need to continue monitoring them. (2) How come they dropped off of Broadcastify and the other phone based apps ?

Thanks-

Rick
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2018, 2:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here's the database page for Cochise County. It looks like there is a new P25 Phase II trunked system in place in the county. You're probably going to need a new scanner for everything but DPS, which should still be on their analog conventional UHF channels.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=94

Here is a list of scanner models that are capable of receiving P25 Phase II:

GRE PSR-800

Radio Shack PRO-18
Radio Shack PRO-668

Uniden BCD325P2
Uniden BCD436HP
Uniden BCD536HP
Uniden BCD996P2
Uniden Home Patrol 2
Uniden SDS-100

Whistler WS1080
Whistler WS1088
Whistler WS1095
Whistler WS1098
Whistler TRX-1
Whistler TRX-2
2 new TRX models from Whistler are expected to be released sometime in the last 3 months of this year.

As for Broadcastify, the streams are put up by hobbyists, not the agencies themselves. The person or persons who were streaming them may have taken them down, which could have been for any number of reasons.

John
Peoria

Last edited by KB7MIB; 06-17-2018 at 3:08 PM.. Reason: P25 Phase II scanner model list
Old 06-17-2018, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It looks like the Cochise County P25 Phase II system has 4 standalone trunked repeaters, as well as a simulcast system.

A simulcast system will have 2 or more sites all transmitting on the same frequencies at the same time. This is called Linear Simulcast Modulation (LSM), and can lead to issues for most scanners, even those otherwise capable of P25 Phase I and P25 Phase II reception, due to multi-path interference preventing them from being able to properly decode the digital signal. If that is the case, it is possible that your only real choice may be the new Uniden SDS-100 which is designed specifically for improved LSM reception, or if you want to wait, maybe the two new Whistler's later this year, which are also supposed to be designed specifically for improved LSM reception.

I would suggest going to the Uniden forum and reading up on all of the SDS-100 threads. It is not a low cost scanner, and having just been released, there are some issues being worked out still. Others have not had any issues, or at least not any major ones. You should read up on all of it before deciding to buy one. (I want one myself, but may be forced due to finances to wait instead of gifting myself for my birthday next month.)

John
Peoria