RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 5:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default 436, 536, and SDS100 owners

I'd love to get together with a group of people who own the 436 or SDS100 for a meet up and comparison on the RWC. I sold my 436 for the SDS100 and have been so far disappointed. I am very knowledgeable on the RWC system and scanners in general, but would still like to do a side by side with as many people as possible. The latest beta firmware for the SDS seems to be better for some folks and no so much for others. Unfortunately, it's made mine worse. So in order to rule out any placebo effect, would any of you be willing to meet up?

On a side note, I'm still optimistic about the SDS100 becoming a great scanner for RWC monitoring, but as of this posting its simply still not as good as I remember my 436 being. Any success stories out there from SDS100 users on the RWC? I'd prefer to hear from people who give candid, constructive and real opinions... not the few outspoken "uniden can-do-no-wrong fan boys" that continually knock on anyone that says anything remotely negative about this scanner. We know who you are.
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Go to the "Uniden Forums" and go to the "Uniden Prospective Owners" Sub-forum and there is a large thread about just that, and have done what you suggest as far as a meet and greet. You may be able to get in touch with the OP KR7CQ. Good luck.

Eugene KG4AVE
Old 07-09-2018, 1:26 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I've been keeping track of that thread since it started.very informative, but the OP has given up on the sds100.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSN556 View Post
I'd love to get together with a group of people who own the 436 or SDS100 for a meet up and comparison on the RWC. I sold my 436 for the SDS100 and have been so far disappointed. I am very knowledgeable on the RWC system and scanners in general, but would still like to do a side by side with as many people as possible. The latest beta firmware for the SDS seems to be better for some folks and no so much for others. Unfortunately, it's made mine worse. So in order to rule out any placebo effect, would any of you be willing to meet up?

On a side note, I'm still optimistic about the SDS100 becoming a great scanner for RWC monitoring, but as of this posting its simply still not as good as I remember my 436 being. Any success stories out there from SDS100 users on the RWC? I'd prefer to hear from people who give candid, constructive and real opinions... not the few outspoken "uniden can-do-no-wrong fan boys" that continually knock on anyone that says anything remotely negative about this scanner. We know who you are.
Just as a side curiosity, have you looked at the spectrum around the simulcast frequencies your having issue with? Do you have an RTL-SDR Dongle you can plug into a laptop and sweep the band? There are some others in the AZ section who were having issues as well. One user had too much noise from nearby computers desensitizing the RF front end of the receiver...
Old 07-11-2018, 7:01 AM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have been using my SDS100 around the Valley since December and it has worked much better than my 325, 436, TRX and PSR's. It is not perfect but it is certainly improved. I have also compared it to the G5 and it seems to be almost on par with that.

Recently I checked out a few areas for another member who had bad results with other scanners and these specific areas seemed fine with the SDS100.

Several of us have been discussing some sort of get together and I am all for it. I will be happy to meet up and try the SDS in a specific area. Maybe a Barros someplace on a Saturday or Sunday lunchtime.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2018, 7:41 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have not been pleased with 700mhz performance of the SDS100. The SDS100 has a problem with noise on 700mhz. When signal is strong (-85dBm or higher) and it can overcome the noise, the SDS100 sounds great. When noise value jump up, and audio quality suffers even in strong signal area. In marginal signal area (around -95dBm or less) the BCD436HP performs better as it does not seem to be affected by noise.

I also have the BCD436HP, and I can receive 700mhz sites where the SDS100 cannot. If I punch in a 700mhz control channel as conventional, and my BCD436 will receive it with 2 bars, and the SDS100 cannot receive it. This very disappointing as the SDS100 cannot replace my BCD436HP for my day-to-day monitoring since I cannot receive agencies that I monitor on the SDS100.

See my post in http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ml#post2948810 and https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhlKfJY_Yw6WuJohX5eo2LWKWQsizg for a videos of my issues.

The SDS100 seems comparable on VHF, better on UHF, and comparable on 800mhz to the BCD436HP. The SDS100 is worse on 700mhz, at least in urban areas due to noise issues.

I will be around on Saturday July 14 or Sunday July 15 and I am glad to meet up with Chad, Rich, or whoever else is around and compare radios. Let's pick a lunch spot.

Last edited by cellphone; 07-12-2018 at 7:47 PM..
Old 07-12-2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
I have not been pleased with 700mhz performance of the SDS100. The SDS100 has a problem with noise on 700mhz. When signal is strong (-85dBm or higher) and it can overcome the noise, the SDS100 sounds great. When noise value jump up, and audio quality suffers even in strong signal area. In marginal signal area (around -95dBm or less) the BCD436HP performs better as it does not seem to be affected by noise.

I also have the BCD436HP, and I can receive 700mhz sites where the SDS100 cannot. If I punch in a 700mhz control channel as conventional, and my BCD436 will receive it with 2 bars, and the SDS100 cannot receive it. This very disappointing as the SDS100 cannot replace my BCD436HP for my day-to-day monitoring since I cannot receive agencies that I monitor on the SDS100.

See my post in http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ml#post2948810 and https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhlKfJY_Yw6WuJohX5eo2LWKWQsizg for a videos of my issues.

The SDS100 seems comparable on VHF, better on UHF, and comparable on 800mhz to the BCD436HP. The SDS100 is worse on 700mhz, at least in urban areas due to noise issues.

I will be around on Saturday July 14 or Sunday July 15 and I am glad to meet up with Chad, Rich, or whoever else is around and compare radios. Let's pick a lunch spot.
Watching the Noise indicator jump way up in value is pretty telling...
Old 07-12-2018, 8:51 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milcom_chaser View Post
Watching the Noise indicator jump way up in value is pretty telling...
I added a couple more videos from a different location. Same problem.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
I added a couple more videos from a different location. Same problem.
In the 3rd Video, you can see the RSSI register for a few milliseconds, yet no decode with the noise floor being so high.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
I have been using my SDS100 around the Valley since December and it has worked much better than my 325, 436, TRX and PSR's. It is not perfect but it is certainly improved. I have also compared it to the G5 and it seems to be almost on par with that.
Was this an Alpha, Beta or production unit? I'm guessing not a production unit since that wasn't finalized until way past December.
Old 07-15-2018, 2:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

When you have your get together, have N9JIG bring his G5 for comparison. Then all of you get in a minivan with the G5 and drive around the valley with that radio and one of those unidens, and i will pretty much guarantee the unidens will be going away as soon as the ride is over. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-15-2018, 5:22 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Was this an Alpha, Beta or production unit? I'm guessing not a production unit since that wasn't finalized until way past December.

Originally it was a beta radio but now I have a production one. It seems to work fine where I have tried it, including the ride I took last week.

Today I was all over the far west area, from Surprise to Buckeye, Gila Bend Ajo, Tonapah and as far west as Salome. Then I came back east along US-60 thru Wendon and Wickenburg. I had no problems with the SDS in these areas, but they are not RF-rich environments. It seemed to work as well as the 996XT's in my truck.

Next week I will try and compare the G5 to the SDS in the Glendale/Peoria area, and look for some high-RF noise floor area. I have not been using the noise level readings on the SDS, maybe I will start with that.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 07-18-2018, 9:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll be in Cave Creek until August 5th, visiting my parents, and I am bringing my SDS 100. Please keep me updated if anyone decides to have a small gathering!

J

Old 07-18-2018, 2:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I brought the SDS 100 with me while working in Tucson the last couple of days. I was parked in the middle of the Dillard's covered parking structure located at the East side of the mall. Inside my running F350 with the stock antenna, I had the pleasure of listening to Tucson PD on the PCWIN system. I even caught yesterdays shooting there. Every talk-group was crystal clear. My favorite scanner to date.