RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 1:11 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default AZ WINS Site 14 location

I'm trying to get a location on this site:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=29252

This week, I traveled I-8 into California, and this site carried 30+ miles into CA on I-8. The site is also 4-5 bars of signal in Yuma.

Does anyone that is familiar with mountains in Western AZ have a guess for this site location?

Last edited by cellphone; 08-04-2018 at 1:27 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2018, 2:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Roughly a mile or so directly east of the intersection of US 95 and something called the "MST&T Road." This is on the north end of Kofa Wildlife Refuge.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0doz View Post
Roughly a mile or so directly east of the intersection of US 95 and something called the "MST&T Road." This is on the north end of Kofa Wildlife Refuge.

Great info! Is this a guess at the location, or have you confirmed this?
Old 08-04-2018, 2:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I took the lat/long numbers, found a couple web sites with a google that would accept the numbers and hit the "find" button. The location is literally in the middle of nowhere. :-)
Old 08-04-2018, 2:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This page mentions MST&T Road ending at a communications tower.
There is a link to a map. US 95 is on the left edge of the map.

Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, Arizona

John
Peoria

Last edited by KB7MIB; 08-04-2018 at 2:47 PM.. Reason: Typo
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2018, 3:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It looks like an old AT&T Long Lines site.
33.47556, -114.08828
Old 08-06-2018, 2:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

DUMB beginner question. But, how are you searching for control channels!? Is it just through the search!? Iím using a 325

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 2:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, put your scanner into search mode, and the display will show you certain parameters when it stops on an active control channel.
If you connect your scanner to a computer, and run one of a couple of different software packages, it can show a lot more information.
After using either method, you can do a search on the FCC website for the license, which can reveal latitude/longitude, who the frequency is licensed to, what other frequencies go with that license, etc.

John
Peoria
Old 08-06-2018, 3:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
Yes, put your scanner into search mode, and the display will show you certain parameters when it stops on an active control channel.
If you connect your scanner to a computer, and run one of a couple of different software packages, it can show a lot more information.
After using either method, you can do a search on the FCC website for the license, which can reveal latitude/longitude, who the frequency is licensed to, what other frequencies go with that license, etc.

John
Peoria

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 5:00 PM

The site up 95 is called MaBell hill

The site in California is Glamis or Black mtn

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 5:02 PM

Black mtnis meant to fill in coverage holes on the river

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2018, 1:29 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0doz View Post
I took the lat/long numbers, found a couple web sites with a google that would accept the numbers and hit the "find" button. The location is literally in the middle of nowhere. :-)
To clarify, the lat/long numbers listed in the DB for Site 14 are not 100% accurate. This was populated based on reports of where signal was recieved. These coorinates are likely within 40 miles of the actual transmitter location. I am looking to determine the actual transmitter location, update the coordinates, and provide a better site description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
The AZ WINS system sites that are owned by the state are a little more tricky as there is a statewide 700mhz license that is not frequency or location specific. This is the state 700mhz license:
ULS License - Public Safety 700 MHZ Band-State License License - WPTZ765 - ARIZONA, STATE OF
Old 08-09-2018, 9:18 PM

speaking of AZWINS... does anyone have any updated information on when DPS will go digital? I'm hearing possibly by next summer when they switch to their new CAD.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

AZWINS isn't quite statewide yet. Theyd have to get a lot more sites put up in northern and eastern Arizona before they could do that.

Troopers in Yuma, La Paz, and Maricopa counties can choose between AZWINS or UHF if they want to. The AZWINS TG's are in the database. (I don't think a Metro South TG has been identified yet, however. Metro West, Central, and East have been identified, along with District 4.)

I don't know about Pinal, Pima, Santa Cruz or Cochise counties, even though there appears to be good coverage in those counties. The rest of the state has little, if any coverage.

John
Peoria
Old 08-10-2018, 12:00 AM

No, we cannot choose what system we want to operate off of. The only 700 frequencies available to use are CI central, north and south. I work for DPS, I know what channels are available in my radio. What I'm asking is, if anyone has heard anything regarding going online by next year.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sorry, I thought you guys had dual-band radios, UHF & 700/800 MHz, which allowed all troopers, patrol, CI, etc., to choose between AZWINS or UHF. That was my understanding from what had been reported in the past.

Anyway, as far as I know, unless only the southern half of the state plans on switching, leaving the northern half on UHF, next summer, it's going to be a few years before all of the state is covered by AZWINS.

John
Peoria
Old 08-10-2018, 10:16 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ165 View Post
No, we cannot choose what system we want to operate off of. The only 700 frequencies available to use are CI central, north and south. I work for DPS, I know what channels are available in my radio. What I'm asking is, if anyone has heard anything regarding going online by next year.
That's interesting because I would expect DPS detectives and tactical guys to use WINS, meaning that they had other TGs in operation. I'm not sure what your position with DPS is, but is it possible that your radio doesn't have all of the TGs that might be available for other people in DPS? At any rate I've suspected that when DPS needs encryption in the valley they are just using RWC radios, but nobody has verified that as far as I know. If they were to run on an encrypted RWC TG nobody would know it was them. They certainly don't do encrypted stuff on UHF anymore as far as I can tell.
Old 08-11-2018, 2:04 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7CQ View Post
At any rate I've suspected that when DPS needs encryption in the valley they are just using RWC radios, but nobody has verified that as far as I know.
DPS has used talkgroups 2191 and 2192 on the RWC in the past. I believe these are no longer used as these operations have been moved to AZ WINS. These are documented in the DB, and confirmed by Radio IDs that have used unencrypted talkgroups.

There are many talkgroups on the AZ WINS system that appear to be CI related: Talkgroups 1015, 1016, 1020, 1021, 1023, 1025, 1026, 1028, and probably many others. Most are encrypted, so it’s hard to determine the usage. I'm guessing these talkgroups are not in every DPS radio, but only CI Radios.

Last edited by cellphone; 08-11-2018 at 2:09 PM..
Old 08-11-2018, 2:31 PM

Is Az WINS going to be rolled out statewide sometime in the future? I live in Mohave County and there are no sites near me that I know of. The closest site to me would be in La Paz county.
Old 08-11-2018, 2:41 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH1 View Post
Is Az WINS going to be rolled out statewide sometime in the future?
It all comes down to cost. In the Phoenix Metro, they have not moved to it yet as it was stated a few years back that it would cost $20 Million to replace all radios in the Phoenix Metro area. I’m guessing they have been replacing radios with AZ WINS capable radios as part of the normal lifecycle replacements (especially portables), but there are likely many mobile radios to be replaced.

In NW Arizona, there is a lot of infrastructure work to cover the area. The cost of building the AZ WINS infrastructure for a relatively small number of users is very high. The plan I have heard is that areas that have Infrastructure already in place (Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma, Sierra Vista, etc) will be first to move to AZ WINS. Even in these areas, there is a considerable amount of Infrastructure needed to match the present UHF coverage. Units in these areas would get Dual Band UHF/700mhz radios as they could be called to other areas of the state. Other areas would remain UHF for the foreseeable future until the AZ WINS infrastructure is built out. I have not seen a formal timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH1 View Post
I live in Mohave County and there are no sites near me that I know of. The closest site to me would be in La Paz county.
Do a 700Mhz search looking for control channels on a regular basis. I imagine that a Kingman area site is in the works.

Last edited by cellphone; 08-11-2018 at 2:58 PM..