RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 6:50 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio10-8 View Post
I am thinking of taking the plunge and replacing my Pro-668 with either SDS100 or Unication G4 or G5. Reason I am replacing is I "feel" like I am missing transmissions because I see a strong signal bar, scanner is locked on to a PCWIN channel and I have no audio. Almost as if the scanner needs to warm up for a while before it starts to receive anything.I have multiple 800mhz antennas that help me receive better depending where I am. (Car or work or office) I am open to other radios as well if you have a suggestion. 75% of my monitoring is PCWIN then AZDPS and some occasional Milair.
Back to the original topic, I've just had a chance to use my SDS100 on PCWIN. Wow! I had largely given up on consumer grade scanners several years back (I primarily use KNG radios for monitoring P25 systems, though I have also used a G5 from time to time, and only used my 436 for "research" purposes (e.g. Discovery Mode)).

Anyway, the SDS100 sounds fantastic on PCWIN - easily on par with my KNG radios. And this is no fluke of location or antenna. I used the stock antenna to monitor Simulcast A and Simulcast B from the Catalina Foothills, throughout midtown, to a meeting at City Communications (Park & Ajo), and down around the 12th Ave & Valencia area. Throughout the round trip, I did not detect any flaws in the SDS100's performance. It sounded great, had excellent "late-entry performance" and I did not detect any missed replies.

Granted, these PCWIN simulcasts are very deep in metro Tucson so the SDS100 had a good signal throughout these travels, but the 436 always had very rocky performance at most of these locations even with a strong signal (and never on par with the SDS100 at any location).

Like all scanners before it the SDS100 seems to work better on some systems than others. But on those systems it works well on (such as PCWIN), it sure does work well.

Dan
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRollman View Post
Back to the original topic, I've just had a chance to use my SDS100 on PCWIN. Wow! I had largely given up on consumer grade scanners several years back (I primarily use KNG radios for monitoring P25 systems, though I have also used a G5 from time to time, and only used my 436 for "research" purposes (e.g. Discovery Mode)).

Anyway, the SDS100 sounds fantastic on PCWIN - easily on par with my KNG radios. And this is no fluke of location or antenna. I used the stock antenna to monitor Simulcast A and Simulcast B from the Catalina Foothills, throughout midtown, to a meeting at City Communications (Park & Ajo), and down around the 12th Ave & Valencia area. Throughout the round trip, I did not detect any flaws in the SDS100's performance. It sounded great, had excellent "late-entry performance" and I did not detect any missed replies.

Granted, these PCWIN simulcasts are very deep in metro Tucson so the SDS100 had a good signal throughout these travels, but the 436 always had very rocky performance at most of these locations even with a strong signal (and never on par with the SDS100 at any location).

Like all scanners before it the SDS100 seems to work better on some systems than others. But on those systems it works well on (such as PCWIN), it sure does work well.

Dan
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the SDS-100 in Tucson!
Old 10-08-2018, 8:49 AM
AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin

I will echo the SDS-100 Positive comments. It does the job very well. Two locations where the other scanners fail, Vail area and in the foothills against the Catalinas.

In both cases, the SDS-100 performs superbly. In fact, I took my scanner to a friend's home that had issues against the Catalinas and walked into his home hearing Simulcast A/B booming.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANO View Post
I will echo the SDS-100 Positive comments. It does the job very well. Two locations where the other scanners fail, Vail area and in the foothills against the Catalinas.

In both cases, the SDS-100 performs superbly. In fact, I took my scanner to a friend's home that had issues against the Catalinas and walked into his home hearing Simulcast A/B booming.
I've been through more of the Catalina Foothills over the last 3 days and have not been able to find a spot where the SDS100 does not work well (with stock antenna) except deep inside the grocery store at Sunrise & Kolb (but there, my KNG also struggled and I understand the APX radios carried by system users frequently struggle too).

There are some parts of the Sabino Canyon and Hidden Valley areas that are blocked by large hills from Simulcast A/B towers so Mt. Bigelow must be used there, but that of course is one of the reasons the Mt. Bigelow tower site exists (and why R/M Fire talkgroups are always active on Bigelow).