RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Arizona Radio Discussion Forum

Arizona Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Arizona.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 10:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default PRWC & Topaz VHF channels

Had an opportunity to monitor a few calls today that were on the VHF Tac channels but was not able to on either of the digital systems. If I am reading correctly Mesa's VHF channels are simulcasted onto the corresponding talkgroups? Also with the PRWC they have talkgroups that link the vhf channels to the digital system but heard nothing. In both cases I put the scanner on the correct talkgroups and monitored the vhf freq with a dual band ht, heard the traffic on the vhf side but nothing on the digital side. I can hear the Mesa Simulcast and Simulcast C rather well so I'm not sure where the snag is?
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2018, 2:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Phoenix FD RDC TG's that are linked to the VHF channels probably only carry traffic if someone has a radio turned to one of those TG's, rather than being patched full time. Secondly, it could be possible that only the simulcast that a particular radio is affiliated to is carrying the patch. If they're affiliated to Simulcast B, they may not be heard on Simulcasts C/F/G/H/J. Lastly, they are also encrypted, so you won't hear anything but encryption noise, unless you're using a Uniden scanner which skips over encrypted transmissions while in scan mode. In which case you won't hear anything, unless you hold on a TG that is active. (There are also the old TG's that were patched years ago, and the current TG's that are patched now. Be sure you're trying to listen to the current TG's.)

I don't believe that Mesa FD RDC patches channels between VHF and the TOPAZ RWC other than dispatch.

John
Peoria
Old 10-03-2018, 6:58 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Correct, Mesa does not patch their VHF to TOPAZ or the other way around. PRDC used to patch their A deck full-time, but in the last couple of years, they seemed to have abandoned the practice and the A talkgroups are encrypted as mentioned.
Old 10-03-2018, 9:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok well that explains a lot. Thought it was something I had programmed wrong, I just need to program the vhf freqs into the scanner
Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 PM

Mesa simulcasts their channel 1 from the 800 system to the VHF channel 1. You should be able to hear alarm and the crews. The VHF tacticals channels do not link to any current talk groups. Phoenix does link their VHF tactical channels to encrypted talk groups for crews that may be responding from a distance to monitor.
Sponsored links