PC-WIN Site A

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have a person who is not hearing the PC-WIN Site A system on her 996P2. She is on the east side of town in the Team 4 area and the radio is showing "Finding Control Channel".

We verified the freqs in the radio are as listed in the database and she is hearing conventional traffic in the area, including weather and other operations.

Is there someone in Tucson that can verify that the database freqs for Simulcast A are correct?

Thanks!

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
I was just down there last week, and to echo, they are correct. The 536HP did a much better job then the 996. A band specific antenna on the 996 had a dramatic improvement. This was in the area of Golf Links road and Houghton.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I have a person who is not hearing the PC-WIN Site A system on her 996P2. She is on the east side of town in the Team 4 area and the radio is showing "Finding Control Channel".

We verified the freqs in the radio are as listed in the database and she is hearing conventional traffic in the area, including weather and other operations.

Is there someone in Tucson that can verify that the database freqs for Simulcast A are correct?

Thanks!

I updated the RRDB entry for Simulcast A this morning to correct a few of the voice frequencies there were still showing the old frequencies, not the frequencies that changed when PCWIN rebanded a while back. But those database changes were for voice frequencies only. The control channels have been correct for a while, so my change was not necessary for modern scanners to work fine (and won't affect them).

Put another way, as others have said, the database entry for Simulcast A is and has been fine for scanner use. This would not explain why her 996P2 isn't even finding a control channel, but one of your customer's problems is that she is trying to use a 996P2 to monitor a P25 simulcast system in the first place; as most of us know that is a very sketchy proposition. My SDS100, on the other hand, has been working fine during drives around the east side of town in Team 4.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
I live in Vail, south of I-10. I can not monitor Simulcast A nor B effectively with either my BCD436HP or BCD536HP. This is true even though I have clear view of the city and no real radio interference in my area. I find that I don't reception on A/B until I pass Houghton Rd, west bound.

Something changed about a year ago that effected the reception out there.

BRIGHT SIDE - Since the release of the SDS-100, that took care of the reception problem immediately.

I suspect the other scanner mentioned is having the same reception issue as the 436/536.

rakotter

Feed Provider
996P2 Simulcast

Put another way, as others have said, the database entry for Simulcast A is and has been fine for scanner use. This would not explain why her 996P2 isn't even finding a control channel, but one of your customer's problems is that she is trying to use a 996P2 to monitor a P25 simulcast system in the first place; as most of us know that is a very sketchy proposition. My SDS100, on the other hand, has been working fine during drives around the east side of town in Team 4.

I really don't understand why so many people complain about the Uniden's having issues with P25. I use a 996P2 monitoring Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale and MCSO without any issues.

Here are a few captures I have uploaded using the 996
rayotter.com - /scanner/record_archives/scanner_audio_trunk/

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
I had no issues with the 536 in Tucson, Sim A or B. Was all over the place on the map, and everything came in perfect.

I've had some issues with Phoenix RWC, specifically Sim B, but usually overcome by changing the digital threshold setting to manual (default is auto) and.adjist accordingly. The scanner in the truck seems to like 7, where as the one on my desk at home likes 6.

I had to adjust nothing for PCWIN.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I really don't understand why so many people complain about the Uniden's having issues with P25. I use a 996P2 monitoring Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale and MCSO without any issues.

MCSO works fine for everyone, because it isn't a simulcast system. P25 isn't a problem. It's P25 simulcast.

So as for Tempe, Mesa and Scottsdale, I guess just feel lucky you don't experience or perceive the issues.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber

Simulcast reception is ALL about your location in relation to system towers. If my house was located where my office is, I might feel just as you do, as I get great reception with ANY digital scanner, with one tower in sight and others at least partially blocked by terrain, and farther away.

Moving within the middle area between two or three towers with relatively equal exposure / antenna height, you will quickly find that scanners that don't demodulate LSM (like the 996P2) will struggle horribly with any simulcast system. A drive around inside of a valley simulcast with a BCD396 or a BCD436 handheld will clearly demonstrate the issue. And it's not a Uniden thing, it's a "non-LSM demodulating scanner thing", as in any make or model that wasn't designed for LSM. Anything other than a professional radio, a Unication G4/5, or the SDS100 will suffer these issues which many like to call "simulcast distortion" (hate that term but it stuck).

Status
Not open for further replies.