border patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen one. I'm not sure if it is against broadcastify policy or not. Thought somewhere there was a rule regarding federal streaming.

Most are encrypted radio wise, those who aren't it's majority secure and very few running non.

Any incidents they will assign to a tac channel which is fully secured.

Some port main channels may still be mix and matched of clear and secure but there mostly isn't anything to hear. Most of the interesting stuff goes on in tac channels which are without doubt un monitorable unless you like hearing r2d2 monitoring.

Local interop channels are mostly clear that police, or sheriff will use to interop but those are guaranteed silent until someone actually has a legit reason to use. In 15 years I haven't heard one peep on the local cbp channel law, fire, ems can use to call them and nobody ever uses it and just relays through dispatch but it is there and use able.

Video Ive never seen it around.

wbswetnam

I lived in Douglas, AZ back in 1991 & 1992, when about half of BP traffic was in the clear, and the other half digital voice encryption. Many times they didn't use the encryption because it was poor quality audio back then, often undecipherable. Many times I heard units say "We can't read you, switch to clear!" Sadly, those days are long, long gone though. Encrypted comms are greatly improved these days, so that's what they use exclusively now.

rakotter

Feed Provider
These are P25, but non encrypted, I have verified clear transmission on them.
It appears to be an Input frequency only
CBP Air 1 168.83750*
CBP Air 2 168.96250*
CBP Air 4 169.16250*
CBP Air 3 169.26250*
CBP Air 5 169.38750*

krokus

Premium Subscriber
CBP Air 1168.83750*
CBP Air 2168.96250*
CBP Air 4169.16250*
CBP Air 3169.26250*
CBP Air 5169.38750*
That list seems to have a typo, unless those signals span multiple GHz.

Sent using Tapatalk

ecps92

No these are Simplex, not inputs
and ENC will vary

CBP Air 1 168.83750*
CBP Air 2 168.96250*
CBP Air 4 169.16250*
CBP Air 3 169.26250*
CBP Air 5 169.38750*

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I lived in Douglas, AZ back in 1991 & 1992, when about half of BP traffic was in the clear, and the other half digital voice encryption. Many times they didn't use the encryption because it was poor quality audio back then, often undecipherable. Many times I heard units say "We can't read you, switch to clear!" Sadly, those days are long, long gone though. Encrypted comms are greatly improved these days, so that's what they use exclusively now.

So true. Back in the early 90s Phoenix PD detectives were in the same boat. Most operations were conducted on simplex UHF, and the range they could talk reliably with encryption was quite short, maybe a few blocks tops. If coordinating units were more than a few blocks apart, they would often ask others to switch back to "A", which mean non-encrypted. I believe that old tech was called digital voice privacy. With their modern equipment, full-time encryption is not an issue (sadly for scanner hobbyists).

I haven't heard a non-encrypted border patrol transmission that was of any interest in a very long time. Those days are gone forever. I think I've heard a dispatcher utter a word or two un-encrypted, but that's about it. Even Phoenix DEA who incredibly, up until several years ago were running in the clear, have since moved to a modern encrypted system and we will never hear a peep from them again either.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
KR7CQ: "I haven't heard a non-encrypted border patrol transmission that was of any interest in a very long time. "

What do you consider "of any interest"? Would border agents discussing whom they are watching, where the target(s) is, and what's going on in live time not interesting? I am hearing live surveilling of border agents (if not border agents, they're doing border agents jobs!) at work and giving descriptions of targets, where they are, where to look and what the agents next move is quite often and unencrypted. I note down the exact time, any notable comments made, and frequencies & NACs for my own use on scrap paper. I don't broadcast it out online while it's going on, but it's no occult channel, but one of the many listed as CBP frequencies to scan. When the scanner picks them up, I do recognize the map locations they discuss and it is at least 60 mi. from me, but the transmissions sound as if on Close Call! They put out some real power. About 3 nights ago I heard them describing some guys with backpacks, and that they were visible over the mountain range, and that there were about 5 guys- they were "coming your way, head them off at (GPS coordinates given) and I'll meet you" etc. They were about to round up some illegal border crossers!

I will say, search around in the 169. frequencies and that's about it. I'm not being intentionally secretive, I just don't have my scrap paper near me right now. You RR regulars will know how to find them. I have a fear that one day, too many of the wrong people will catch on to CBP channels and ruin it for the rest of us. I like what they're doing, and I like to listen in.

Status
Not open for further replies.