bigbuck52

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppafred

Anything that will receive P25 digital.

I have a RS Pro 197 and a GRE 500. I listen to AWIN on both of them almost constantly, only break is while sleeping but they are both on and listening even then. :lol:

JohnDavid

Has anyone ever tried buying the actual motorola spectra that ASP uses and have the freqs put in? Receiving only of course.. I just figured that would sound a lot better and get a lot better quality. My trunk tracker won't pick up everything that comes across a channel like a real radio will. Practical? Possible?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
To hear a P-25 system using an P-25 radio, the radio MUST affiliate with the system. Any UNATHORIZED radio affiliating on the system will be killed remotely. In other words, it will be made a paperweight with a few keypresses. On the older Type II systems you could get away with using an mobile or HT with TX disabled. Not on an P-25 system. So spending the $3,000.00 or more on an HT or mobile would be a waste. Spend the $100.00 to $500.00 on a digital scanner. Any model from the RS PRO-96/2096 up works fine on almost all the AWIN sites. For the few current 700 MHz sites you will need one of the models in the generation after the 96 series.

k5rpd

listening

Not necessarily true... You can use a Motorola radio (or any P25 capable for that matter) to scan the frequencies of the voice channels at the sites you are interested in- WITHOUT affiliation of any kind. It just potentially won't track a single talkgroup like being affiliated will allow you to do. There are extensive discussions of this over at the batlabs forums. Just takes some research and programming know-how. You'll have to register at the batlabs forums to find the info- search for "ASTRO25 scanning"

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And again, you will still pay 3K plus for a radio. If you don't know the ins and outs of programming it, you will just have an expensive brick. If anyone out there has that kind of bucks to toss around, send some my way. I don't need 3K plus... Just a couple of hundred for a new digiscanner, and new HD for the now paperweight laptop LOL!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

iamhere300

Not anywhere near 3k. You can buy P25, trunking radios for street cost of $1250.00 all day long. That still leaves the dealer a fair profit. Many dealers are selling these.

Status
Not open for further replies.