Legalities of scanners in Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys - thanks to Lindsay for creating this new forum, and for putting me in charge of it. I am going to be moving to Taiwan in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to report from the world of scanning in Asia soon.

In the mean time, I am working on compiling a list regarding local government restrictions on scanners and frequency monitoring. I would like anyone with reliable and credible information on a listed country to reply to this thread so I can update this list. This list is a guide for those visiting Asia and want to bring their scanner along. Listening to local police, obviously, is a wash unless you can understand the native language - but there are english-language signals out there to intercept (worldwide ham radio, shortwave, air comms, etc.)

If you've got something to add to this list, please reply. Thanks, and have fun!

Bryan VE3HBD

THIS POST IS A CONSTANT WORK IN PROGRESS!!

As well, please note that the information on this page is just a guide. IF you are planning to bring a scanner to an asian country, please check with the local government before your trip. We accept no responsibility for any fines, imprisonment or anal intrusion as a result of the information that we provide here.

----

Republic of China:
No rules in Taiwan, but apparantly there are restrictions on reception of specific frequency bands. Government listing of radio licensee holders not available to the general public. Information on these restrictions is not known at this time, but I'll post them when I find them out.

Singapore
In Singapore its illegal to own a scanner or a radio that can receive above 30 MHz. There is a fine of $100,000 and up to two years in prison, or both. However, having a shortwave receiver is very common, and many people like to listen to foreign broadcast services. (thanks Thunderbolt)

Israel
Illegal (details forthcoming - thanks mlevin)

Myanmar
Illegal to own a radio that receives anything but the standard broadcast bands w/o government permit. (thanks Thunderbolt)

Japan
No restrictions on scanners, except reception of Cell Phones are forbidden.

Thailand
Illegal to use any radio/scanner capable of recieving public safety frequencies.

Vietnam
Illegal to use any radio/scanner capable of recieving public safety frequencies.

People's Republic of China:
No information yet on Mainland China, but in Hong Kong it's illegal to own a radio capable of receiving frequencies over 30MHz or commercial broadcast without a permit. (thanks CqDX)

South Korea
Illegal

Turkey
Illegal

Maldives: (no information)
Bahrain: (no information)
Bangladesh: (no information)
Palestine: (no information)
North Korea: (no information)
Lebanon: (no information)
India: (no information)
Sri Lanka: (no information)
The Phillipines: (no information)
Nepal: (no information)
Pakistan: (no information)
Indonesia: (no information)
Kuwait: (no information)
Armenia: (no information)
Syria: (no information)
Azerbaijan: (no information)
Cyprus: (no information)
Georgia: (no information)
Cambodia: (no information)
Egypt: (no information)
Qatar: (no information)
Malaysia: (no information)
East Timor: (no information)
Brunei: (no information)
Jordan: (no information)
Uzbekistan: (no information)
Iran: (no information)
Iraq: (no information)
Tajikistan: (no information)
Bhutan: (no information)
Afghanistan: (no information)
Yemen: (no information)
UAE: (no information)
Laos: (no information)
Kyrgystan: (no information)
Oman: (no information)
Saudi Arabia: (no information)
Turkmenistan: (no information)
Kazakhstan: (no information)
Mongolia: (no information)

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
In Singapore its illegal to own a scanner or a radio that can receive above 30 MHz. There is a fine of $100,000 and up to two years in prison, or both. However, having a shortwave receiver is very common, and many people like to listen to foreign broadcast services.

73's

Ron

Thunderbolt

Japan: it's perfectly legal to have a scanner in that country

Thailand: It's illegal to own a a radio receiver that can intercept any public safety communications.

Vietnam: Same as above.

73's

Ron

mlevin

Umm, probably because terrorism is a constant concern there, and they don't want the killers to have any extra toys.

I remember seeing an article on the web for it some time ago. I'm searching for it, but have turned up nothing so far.

mlevin

Another good site. I'm too lazy to actually search through these right now for the specific info. http://www.communicationspolicy.net/countries.htm#2

There is a link to Israel's communications laws, but it is all in hebrew, and I'm not that fluent. I do know someone who speaks fluently. I'll just try to run it past her and see what she says.

Last edited:

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
mlevin said:
Umm, probably because terrorism is a constant concern there, and they don't want the killers to have any extra toys.

I remember seeing an article on the web for it some time ago. I'm searching for it, but have turned up nothing so far.

I always thought the there government was pretty up to date on there technology... They always have had some of the tightest security then any nation. Maybe that laws is just part of it I guess but I have always thought of them as being more up on the cutting edge because of the trouble that they have experienced.

mlevin

They are, in terms of security. Alot of really cool technology is produced there. However, I have no idea what kind of radio systems are used. You can never be too safe, especially with their unique situation.

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
mlevin said:
They are, in terms of security. Alot of really cool technology is produced there. However, I have no idea what kind of radio systems are used. You can never be too safe, especially with their unique situation.

Since you put it that way, I would have to agree.

CqDx

In Hong Kong it's illegal to listen to services above 30Mhz (except FM broadcast :)) without a license. These services includes everything from Police to Businesses. Hong Kong police are now in the progress of switching their radio system from the old UHF (450 range) to TETRA (380-420Mhz range, I don't know the exacts) to keep listeners out the door.

On the other hand, it is quite common for hams in Hong Kong to use Motorola rigs, the OFTA (Office of Telecommuncaitons Authority) would issue equipment license to almost every radio that is in the market (as long as it passes their emission standards)

grant

Well that's two countries I have broken the law in ... Singapore & Hong Kong .. I took a cheap portable MW radio with airband with me on holidays back in 1996.

Grant

Thunderbolt

I ran into a former student of mine who is from Myanmar, and he said that its illegal to own a radio in that country that receives anything but the standard broadcast bands, unless you have permission (permit) from the government. The penalty can be up to five years in prison, large fines, confiscation of your passport, and property if the case is severe enough, ie: selling or modifying radios illegally.

73's

Ron

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
Thunderbolt said:
I ran into a former student of mine who is from Myanmar, and he said that its illegal to own a radio in that country that receives anything but the standard broadcast bands, unless you have permission (permit) from the government. The penalty can be up to five years in prison, large fines, confiscation of your passport, and property if the case is severe enough, ie: selling or modifying radios illegally.

73's

Ron

Forgive me for asking this, but if I read your post correctly, Myanmar is a country in the contenant of Asia. But where exactly is it? I've never heard of this country. I have not kept up with my Geography since I left school. When I was in school the Soviet Union was still around and Germany was divided. :wink:

I just realized somthing: I'm an OLD Generation X'er! :(
Did I miss out on my mid-life crises?:confused:

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
Myanmar (formerly Burma) is in southeast Asia, between Thailand, India and Laos, and hangs below mainland China.

Raccon

Importing any transmitting and/or receiving device into Taiwan needs a declaration and is subjected to testing by the local telecom authority (DGT).

Status
Not open for further replies.