Halifax, NS Canada. What do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photo85

Hey all, I am new here but heard this is the place to go!

I am looking to find out what type of scanner I need, that will pick up police in Halifax Nova Scotia. I beleive it's all digital like most other places. No idea if it is encrypted.

I would like to get some recommendation as to what type of scanner, portable preferably, would work, and what you think would be a good model to pick up.

Thanks ahead for the info.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you want this thread moved to the Atlantic and Maritimes forum, click on the Report Post icon in the top right corner of your post and one of the Moderators will move it for you.

There's several members there who should be able to guide you.

blacktop

Feed Provider
RCMP across nova Scotia are all encrypted except in HRM (Halifax area). That will change before the end of 2014. HRP will be encrypted as well by then. With the advent of the new P25 system & some municipal LE agencies having to upgrade from analogue to digital....not sure if encryption is in the works for them or not....

Until then, a digital trunk tracking scanner that does 800 MHz is in order....

hfxChris

Database Admin
Just echoing blacktop's response, any scanner you for the purposes of listening to police in Halifax will be rendered useless in a matter of months.
However if you're interested in more than just police, for now an 800 MHz trunking scanner will work but shortly you will need a scanner than can do 700 MHz P25 trunking such as the Uniden BCD396XT, BCD436HP, HomePatrol 1, GRE PSR-500, PSR-800 and their equivalent base (non-handheld) models.

Status
Not open for further replies.