NSW RFS / SES with GME TX6500S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitmorechoke

Hi, newbie here, name's Neil. Sorry for all the TLA's in the title :0)

I'm active with my local RFS brigade in the flatlands (and redgum forests) of the Southern Riverina. I don't have an easy line to technical answers through the service though so I'm hoping that between Google and the good folks of this forum I can get myself up to speed.

The first thing I'd like to understand is whether I can monitor our local 'firecom' PMR without a service issued device. According to the info at https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1030 we use a frequency around the 412 MHz mark (I confess I don't understand the BM or FMN references on that chart). I don't believe it is a trunked system, but could there be any other encoding in play that would prevent me just tuning in and listening with any old scanner?

Secondly, I'm also involved with the local SES unit, although it is rarely active (and I'll have one of their handhelds whenever it is) so I have less need to monitor them on my own equipment. It also seems like the SES have done several comms upgrades in recent years, so they might not be so easy to tune into, but obviously I will if I can. The info at https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1029 suggests a frequency around 468 MHz.

Finally, I'm considering the GME TX6500S for this (https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/hand-held-radios/tx6500s.aspx). I'm assuming that I can use it like a normal UHFCB on the fireground, with the advantage of also hearing firecom activity by setting up a simple group scan with our regular UHFCB channel and the firecom channel, and that any attempt to transmit will jump me back to the CB. Am I on the right track?

longreach

Feed Provider
Hi Neil,
You basically out of luck on both fronts as far as monitoring the RFS and SES. The RFS are over on P25 PMR already and the SES are not far off going either. The RFS operate on about 427-429mhz TX and between 420-424mhz RX. The SES will operate in a similar band.
You'll need a P25 scanner from either Whistler or Uniden to do what you would like to do.
Cheers
Matt
p.s. PM me if you need more help.

bitmorechoke

Thanks longreach, yep I think you are right, P25 all round and GRN may not be too far off either if the rumours are true.

Currently looking at other options, one of which may be a suitably-disabled XTS5000 or similar. Another is SDR which looks pretty cheap and cheerful and hopefully not totally beyond my technical abilities.

Thanks for your offer of help, I'm sure I'll come crying at some point - this is a steep learning curve for a newbie I can tell you!

rustynswrail

The GRN is P25 and has been for about 15 years. P25 Phase II is the next platform coming to a GRN tower near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.