live feed and remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

army_scanner

I will be providing a feed for Austin Texas around 29 June 2009, I will be using a 396t to broadcast the feed and the software provided by Gordon.

My question is that due to me always traveling(due to my job) is there anything out there that i can use to connect to my computer from another location. The only one that i can find is LogMeIn (http://www.logmein.com) to remote access the streaming computer. The only problem with LogMeln is that it cost too much and am looking for something FREE. Also when you use remote access can i control the software from Gordon and can i access other programs from my computer and if so would it allow me to access my scanner program to control the scanner, ie. stop on tlk grp or change stuff on the scanner.

The reason i need to this is due to me providing the feed and traveling and if the feed comes offline or a major event i can still control the scanner and computer from another computer at another location.

Thank You and Happy Scanning!! (any help is very welcomed)

K9GTJ

LogMeIn also provides a free version which I use for numerous computers including me streaming and weather computers at home and work.

army_scanner

remote

LogMeIn -- I will give it a try, if will allow me due as dscribed as below.

(need help / never messed around with remote access stuff / pretty computer stupid)

Also when you use remote access can i control the software from Gordon and can i access other programs from my computer and if so would it allow me to access my scanner program to control the scanner, ie. stop on tlk grp or change stuff on the scanner.

The reason i need to this is due to me providing the feed and traveling and if the feed comes offline or a major event i can still control the scanner and computer from another computer at another location.

Thank You and Happy Scanning!! (any help is very welcomed)

brandon

Database Admin
Yep. LogMeIn will show you the screen as if you were sitting directly in front of your PC. Full control of the entire system and even an emergency reboot capability in case your remote computer is locked/hungup.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Ultra VNC

An alternative to LogMeIn is VNC, which was developed by NASA. That's right, real, live rocket scientists, so it has to be good.

Actually, the flavor of VNC that my buddies and I like best is a variant called Ultra VNC. It also looks like you are sitting at your computer, so whatever you can do locally, you can also do remotely. It aint perfect, but it is F-R-E-E.

It also requires you to open up ports on your router's firewall so that you can get in from the outside world. LogMeIn gets around this by reaching out to a web site, which automatically opens a channel back in to your computer.

Here's where to download it:
Download UltraVNC: Remote Support Software

bezking

Problem with free VNC over the public internet is that it isn't encrypted, whereas even the free version of logmein is encrypted with 256-bit encryption...

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Problem with free VNC over the public internet is that it isn't encrypted, whereas even the free version of logmein is encrypted with 256-bit encryption...

This is true.

Which is why I have become enamored of these Linksys RV042 VPN routers. Amazon sells them for about $150 bucks and you can either stick another one at a fixed location to nail up a VPN tunnel just like you're on your own network, or you can use the built-in PPTP client that comes with Windows if you're on the road like the O.P.

This way he gets security and it's just like he's sitting on his home LAN wherever he goes. I know he said he's not a computer guru, but these are pretty straightforward to setup, minus a few bumps that I have discovered.

Just another option. And it does not depend on a third party such as LogMeIn to be around. Who knows if one day they cut off their free access?

mhshighimpact

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you prefer using a VPN and then your own type of remote access, LogMeIn has Hamachi, which is a wonderful VPN tunnel application (free for personal use) that'll allow connections to multiple computers at once, so if someone needs to have a back-door to multiple systems at the same time, then this is the best solution.

Once you create a personal group and authenticate the systems into the group, you can use any type of remote access you can think of. FTP, Samba, HTTP, RDP, VNC, etc.

I've used this program multiple times during server migrations where I feel more comfortable doing it within my own apartment.

Another remote program to try is TeamViewer. Free for personal use, the newer releases allow for VPN connections as well.

NYRHKY94

As the previous posters have already stated the answer to your questions is YES. There are a variety of remote access tools that will allow you to connect with your home PC and control everything as if you were sitting there. My personal favorites are:

1) LogMeIn (free)
2) UltraVNC (free)
3) Windows Remote Desktop (free)

I tend to use all three of these at various times for different reasons. I've found that It's also good to have more than one remote access tool for back-up purposes.

Thanks!

dwh367

I am running Tight VNC. Since I am running a dedicated computer for my feed, I'm not too much worried about encryption. There's no personal information store stored on it and I have it operating in "stand alone" mode from the rest of the computers on my home network. However, I still took a couple of security precautions by changing the default ports on the VNC software and also changing the default IP address on my wireless router. Might be something to think about for anyone else running unencrypted VNC software.

bezking

This is true.

Which is why I have become enamored of these Linksys RV042 VPN routers. Amazon sells them for about $150 bucks and you can either stick another one at a fixed location to nail up a VPN tunnel just like you're on your own network, or you can use the built-in PPTP client that comes with Windows if you're on the road like the O.P.

This way he gets security and it's just like he's sitting on his home LAN wherever he goes. I know he said he's not a computer guru, but these are pretty straightforward to setup, minus a few bumps that I have discovered.

Just another option. And it does not depend on a third party such as LogMeIn to be around. Who knows if one day they cut off their free access?

That's interesting. I've never seen that product before... My Remote Access setup is a PPTP server installed on a linux box with appropriate port-forwarding at a SmoothWall firewall. I can then use the built-in client on the mac and even my iPhone to get into my network

Again - that RV042 is an interesting product; certainly warrants some testing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.