Coordination to avoid duplicating feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

soncorn

I noticed today that there are a few new feeds in Tarrant County, TX. This may also be an issue other places though.

We seem to have more than one feed broadcasting the same things. For example, there is an Arlington, TX fire feed, police feed, and a feed that now broadcasts police, fire and ems.

There is a feed broadcasting Fort Worth PD west patrol (along with White Settlement) and a feed broadcasting all four patrol divisions including west patrol.

There are two feeds that broadcast Colleyville and Southlake.

There are also two feeds broadcasting Hurst.

Personally I like redundancy, but I think for the purposes of broadcasting feeds that really each of these should really only be broadcast once. Also by reducing the number of things on feeds I think we increase the quality of the listening experience.

I host the Arlington PD feed (and the Fort Worth Fire feed with a borrowed scanner), but I don't really listen to it since I live in Fort Worth, I just do it as a service. I would be more than happy to move that over to some other agency.

How do we coordinate this to cover as much as possible without duplicating efforts?

What does everyone think?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Our policy on duplicating feeds is that only one feed can broadcast the SAME EXACT agencies, meaning there can not be 2 feeds broadcasting Just Arlington PD. However there can be a feed broadcasting Arlington PD and another broadcasting Arlington PD and Fire just as long as they are not identical feeds.

Neither of those feeds are the EXACT same agencies.

Last edited:

richtidd

Database Admin
Our policy on duplicating feeds is that only one feed can broadcast the SAME EXACT agencies, meaning there can not be 2 feeds broadcasting Just Arlington PD. However there can be a feed broadcasting Arlington PD and another broadcasting Arlington PD and Fire just as long as they are not identical feeds.

Neither of those feeds are the EXACT same agencies.

Kendirk is correct.

All these feeds are different and with different combination of agencies.

Our thought is that some may want to listen to some combo of agencies & not others.

Before we approve a new feed, we do check the existing feeds for exact duplicates. We do not approve exact duplicate feeds intentionally. Close is OK as long as there is something that sets the new feed apart from the existing feeds. Typically, one different agency is enough.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Sometimes duplicate feeds can be good though. For example, I know some feeds in larger cities just label that they are broadcasting all the districts in the city but really they only receive about 75% of them due to reception. Where as a duplicate feed might be in a better area to receive those lost districts.

Also comes into play during severe storms. Sometimes 1 feed might lose power but not the other.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.