Provide Feed on Satellite Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnfuller

I am thinking about providing a feed for my county, but I am on Hughesnet Satellite Internet. We have a Fair Access Policy, that limits the usage, and I do not want to trigger the FAP.

Could anyone give me some idea as to what the average size of upload and download data over a period of say 1 hour?

Thanks
Randy

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
One feed at 16kbps works out to the 5GB per month. I tried this on a wireless card - same type limitations prohibited a wireless feed. In hundreds of tests I ran, every 9 minutes used up about 1MB. See screenshot...

Attachments

• bandwidth.jpg
    bandwidth.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 152

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
1 hour @ 16 kbit/s = 6.9 MB of upload bandwidth used

That works out to 165.6 in a 24 hour period, or as stated, approximately 5 GB in a 31 day month

N4RDX

feed

I dont think Hughes Net has any problems with upload it is the download is where the FAP comes into play At least on the plan i am on for like $125/mo.

rnfuller

I dont think Hughes Net has any problems with upload it is the download is where the FAP comes into play At least on the plan i am on for like $125/mo.

N4RDX you are correct! I don't know why I did not think of that!, so I guess now the question is would the upload speed of around 128K support a decent feed. I need to check the WIKI.

Thanks
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.