streaming advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka0zoz

Hello group,

I noticed, for the first time, audio saying "this feed brought to you by radioreference.com" on my feed.
I can live with that but if you plan on doing any kind of audio advertising on the feed, which isn't a bad idea in a marketers mind, I'm pulling out. If you need money to survive just pipe up. I'm not having my feed tied to some product.

Thank you for listening.
Aaron

ka0zoz

Thanks. No I didn't see that. I don't have time to read the forums. If it is just a lead in, I'm not too concerned but NO product advertising.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We have absolutely no plans to do any product advertising on any of the streams. Our only intent is to roll out the lead in that you heard, and that's it.

With so many mobile clients out there being served streams, it is important that the listeners know where the stream is being hosted.

Scandxer

But you care to waste other peoples time.

Are you Serious?? He isn't wasting anyones time. Grow Up.

And exactly what are you bringing to the discussion other then trying to be a little suck up?

But anyway.. Sorry to stoop to that level Guys.

So what does the default Lead In sound like? I think it should sound real Cool with a small explosion at the end lol.

In a real deep, dark voice... "Brought to you by RadioReference.Com BOOOMMM!!

Or maybe even make it sound like you are on a Police Radio with some fake static and key up beeps lol

Well now I got some ideas for my own lead in if I get the cash for it.

I realize tensions are high right now with all these changes at RR and the whole Premium Provider 14.95 a month thing. With the economy in the toilet, Jobs being scarce, To some people 14.95 a month for "extra features" is just too much.

I love this site and will always be a Dedicated feed provider, even if I have to pay..

But I think people (Feed Providers) are kinda upset and getting the feeling like eventually, with the rollout of new features in the future (Cool Things like Chat, Lead-Ins,Etc..) they will be forced to pay for the Premium feed option as just being a Free Provider becomes less and less in comparison.

Now while thats probably good for RR's bottom line it's defiantly a turn off to the Volunteer Feed Provider that doesn't have the money to pay for "Extra Features".

But don't get me wrong I'm defiantly not complaining and wouldn't know the first thing about running a website lol. Just trying to understand some of the tension due to the new Premium Provider option.

RR ,as it is now, is perfect. The simplicity of the site is great.. You can easily navigate to what you want when you want and not be bombarded with annoying ads or popups.

ka0zoz

But you care to waste other peoples time.

I'm simply stating that I don't have time to spend browsing or keeping up with the forums or every radioreference news post. Radio scanning is not a real passion for me so I don't dedicate much time to it but if something big changes, like I thought was about to happen... it caught my interest.

I really don't understand your attitude and it just made the forums that more displeasing a place to hang out.

So thanks.
Aaron ka0zoz

ka0zoz

We have absolutely no plans to do any product advertising on any of the streams. Our only intent is to roll out the lead in that you heard, and that's it.

With so many mobile clients out there being served streams, it is important that the listeners know where the stream is being hosted.

Thank you.
Aaron

ka0zoz

Here is another reason why I show concern... after the fact.
Check #4.

Folks, I am excited to announce that in early June we will release a premium feed broadcaster offering. This is primarily intended for public safety agencies and commercial entities, however any feed broadcaster could upgrade their feed. The features include:

1) 90 day archive retention
2) Ability to automatically trim dead air from archives
3) Brand free set of Web players
4) No ads on your Web players or feeds
5) User defined lead-in audio feature
6) Private Feed support with delegated administration (you can restrict access to your feed to only users that you specify)
7) Complete access to all mount points and server details - do what you want with your feed, anywhere, anytime.
8) Full archive access via API to display archive files and lists on your sites/systems.
9) Full downloadable statistics

Scandxer

Check #4.

4) No ads on your Web players or feeds

Good Point.. It seems to imply that, unless you pay, you will have ads on your feed.

We have absolutely no plans to do any product advertising on any of the streams.

But if they say thats not the case then I have no reason to not believe them.

Last edited:
K

kb0nly

A lead-in doesn't bother me any... There is so many people listening via cell phone around here now and none of them know who is actually providing the feed. Just the other day i caught a guy sitting having a meal in the local corner mart here and i asked him what he was listening too, since it sounded like the local scanner traffic, he said "oh a scanner feed from some site on my phone" i was like "cool for this county" and he said "yep"... I said "your welcome".. Guy looks at me and said "what?" I explained to him that i was the only one feeding this area of MN into RR and he goes on and on about it having to be someone else cause its not RR, etc..

So i grabbed my phone, called home, had my wife go flip the scanner to NOAA WX for about three seconds and then back to scan and told the guy to listen for it. Sure enough, about 10-15 seconds later there was a burst of NOAA for about three seconds. Then he finally believed me. Seems most of these other providers are claiming the content as their own! So nobody listening knows about RR as the source.

I have a significant investment of time and money into my feeds, as long as its free to feed and i get premium status for providing them i will continue. The second it costs me anything i shut it off. Its costing enough for my second tier internet access with my ISP.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Check #4.

Folks, I am excited to announce that in early June we will release a premium feed broadcaster offering. This is primarily intended for public safety agencies and commercial entities,

That refers to the banner ads that are currently displayed next to the Web players - for premium feeds those will go away.

Thanks,

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
So what does the default Lead In sound like? I think it should sound real Cool with a small explosion at the end lol.

In a real deep, dark voice... "Brought to you by RadioReference.Com BOOOMMM!!

LOL! We could also hire a lady with a deep husky voice.

"Hey big boy, this feed provided by, Rrrrradio Reference... .com"

Scandxer

LOL! We could also hire a lady with a deep husky voice.

"Hey big boy, this feed provided by, Rrrrradio Reference... .com"

Lol.. That would be hilarious.

I was thinking more like James Earl Jones but someones Aunt Marge that smokes 2 packs a day will work :)

Or getting the Chief Of Police of my feed would be a really cool lead-in too haha. ..

You know like for example.. "Hi, This is Chief Charlie Baileygates with the Rhode Island State Police and you are listening to the Rhode Island State Police Feed on radioreference.com. Stay safe."

You know like for example.. "Hi, This is Chief Charlie Baileygates with the Rhode Island State Police and you are listening to the Rhode Island State Police Feed on radioreference.com. Stay safe."

From what I understand, if you pay the monthly server cost associated with your feed you will be able to have your own intro file play when people connect to your feed. So if you can talk Chief Charlie into creating the clip for you, you will be able to have whatever you would like as the intro file. Just keep in mind the bitrate and sample rate have to be identical to what your feed is being broadcast at. Othewise after the file the audio feed will sound like the chipmonks have invaded.

That being said, if we have to have the intro file I would much rather that it stay short and professional. The moment there are cheesy sound effects, goofy voices, etc I believe feed providers will probably start to pull their feeds. With hosting plans that start at $2 a month for 10 listening slots available from various companies the money is probably not much of an issue any longer.

jobes

Feed Provider
Hosting three feeds here and RR takes the credit. I really don't care I love what "we" provide together. It's really fun pulling up Action Scanner on the iPhone with three scanning favorites. Its says the announcement three times. Now that's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.