Email alert when feed goes ONLINE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, we know the system can send email alerts for offline feeds, and we know the system sends an email alert the first time a new feed goes online...so, can we please have an option for an email alert whenever a feed goes ONLINE?

"Wait...what? Why would you want or need to be notified that your feed went ONLINE? That's silly!"

Not at all! In fact, there are quite a few TACTICAL/SPECIAL EVENT feeds on the site that lay dormant NOT ACTIVE until they go live. These include SKYWARN/ARES feeds and even a few public safety feeds. Since they only go online from time to time, it would make perfect sense for there to be an email alert feature to notify when they go online. You could then setup a mailing list using that alert email that would notify an unlimited number of listeners that the feed they're interested in just went live.

On a technical note, it would be crucial to be able to manually enter an email separate from the primary account address so a mailing list/forward could be setup based on it. Similar to the Alternate Notify Email field that currently exists.

SCPD

QRT
I'm confused. When a feed goes offline you get an email as well as when it goes online. You'll have to wait 15min after it goes offline.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yes, you are confused.

I want an email alert for when a feed STARTS broadcasting. Specifically, the tactical/special event feeds that normally don't broadcast full-time. These tactical/special event feeds do not send offline/online alerts because they're expected to be offline for significant periods of time between broadcasts. My request has nothing to do with the normal "Feed offline/Feed back online" notifications, it would be a new feature.

In a nutshell, when our tactical/special event feed goes live, I want an email alert sent out. I'm going to take that email and have it tied to a mailing list that our listeners can subscribe to so they know when the feed is broadcasting and can tune in.

It's pretty simple, actually.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Totally separate issue, let's try to keep this thread on track please.

Status
Not open for further replies.