16 or 32 kbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

supraman762

I have noticed that some feeds are broadcasting at 32 kbps while mine (and many others) are only broadcasting at 16 kbps. Is there a way to improve my feed, or is 16 ok?

bcd996xt (new firmware)
RadioFeed
HP thin client

richtidd

Database Admin
I have noticed that some feeds are broadcasting at 32 kbps while mine (and many others) are only broadcasting at 16 kbps. Is there a way to improve my feed, or is 16 ok?

bcd996xt (new firmware)
RadioFeed
HP thin client

Please see here:
Alternative Broadcasting Software and Clients - The RadioReference Wiki

RR Live Audio Standard Feed Sampling and Bit Rates

• Sample Rate: 22050hz (22.050Khz) (For all feeds)
  • Bit Rate: 16kbs CBR for a mono (one) radio feed
  • Bit Rate: 32kbs CBR for a stereo (two) radio feed
  • Channels: 1 = Mono, 2 = Stereo
Please do not select VBR (Variable Bit Rate) or Joint Stereo.

Settings lower than these results in the feed not sounding as good as it can.

Settings higher than these are not allowed and results in higher costs to RR in hosting the feed.

In all cases:
The same audio will come out both speakers for the listener for a mono feed.

The correct stereo audio will come out the left & right speakers for the listener for a stereo feed.

supraman762

Ok got it. I was confused for a minute. I was thinking that if I ran "stereo" for just 1 feed it might sound better for the listeners. But "stereo" is for running two feeds right?

richtidd

Database Admin
Ok got it. I was confused for a minute. I was thinking that if I ran "stereo" for just 1 feed it might sound better for the listeners. But "stereo" is for running two feeds right?

Sorry but not correctly stated but I think you meant what I said.

Stereo (2Ch) is for running two radios on one feed:
One radio for Left
One radio for Right.

You have a mono (one radio feed) so your current settings are correct:
16kbs
1Ch (mono)

vlarosaii

Stereo Feed

I am running a stereo feed. Three receivers thru a NCS 3230 Multi-rx in spacial mode. I am monitoring direct thru the multi rx and it sounds great. When I listen to it off the internet, from my home computer and friends at their home, the feed sounds garbly. I have set all my levels correctly, with a service monitor.

I have selected stereo, but my bitrate shows I am at 16 bit not 32. When I change to a mono feed everything sounds great only the spacial feature does not work and all 3 receivers come thru the right and left sides (as it should.

Am I doing something wrong?

richtidd

Database Admin
I am running a stereo feed. Three receivers thru a NCS 3230 Multi-rx in spacial mode. I am monitoring direct thru the multi rx and it sounds great. When I listen to it off the internet, from my home computer and friends at their home, the feed sounds garbly. I have set all my levels correctly, with a service monitor.

I have selected stereo, but my bitrate shows I am at 16 bit not 32. When I change to a mono feed everything sounds great only the spacial feature does not work and all 3 receivers come thru the right and left sides (as it should.

Am I doing something wrong?

Helping via e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.