Audio bleed from another scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Below is a diagram of my new setup. It seem like every time I fix one issue, another pops up. I currently have 2 scanners on this setup. The problem: Audio from scanner 2 is bleeding onto Scanner 1's feed. Scanner 1's audio line is fed directly into the computers on-board sound card. The audio cable from scanner 2 is fed through a USB external sound card. It is important to note the bleed from scanner 1 is not bleeding into scanner 2's feed.

Also, (I hope I can explain this effectively)... The bleed audio from scanner 2 does not effect the scanning of scanner 1. In other words, While listening to the scanner 1 feed, it will continue to air the public safety traffic just fine and scan despite the bleed, when scanner 2 breaks squelch for a transmission, it airs over both the scanner 1 and 2 feed even though scanner 1 is still scanning.

Both scanners are 2 week old PSR-410's

Any ideas?

rigs.png

Last edited:

evfd1625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-8) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Is the audio going into the USB card going into a line in? I remember having a problem at one time if I had an audio source plugged into the computer, it would come over the speakers and could be heard on the line in, as well as speakers. If you have an eq or audio level measurement program, I'd check to see that your second scanner isn't lighting up another input on your computer, if makes sense.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-8) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Is the audio going into the USB card going into a line in? I remember having a problem at one time if I had an audio source plugged into the computer, it would come over the speakers and could be heard on the line in, as well as speakers. If you have an eq or audio level measurement program, I'd check to see that your second scanner isn't lighting up another input on your computer, if makes sense.

Already checked that. I did another experiment. I disconnected all audio lines and listened to the sound coming through the raw speakers on the bottom. When the scanner are stacked on top of one another, the sound from #2 plays into #1's speaker! Wow! How does this happen? When I separate the scanners, the problem goes away. Is there a work around? Aluminum foil between the scanners perhaps?

evfd1625

Sounds like there is something spurious coming from the audio amp in the overpowering scanner. Sounds like a bit of distance between the two may be the solution to the problem.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Even weirder... when I tap on the case of scanner two of even speak in a loud tone at the case, I can hear it coming out scanner 1's speaker.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Are you sure it's not picking up ambient noise in the room from a microphone?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Thread moved to Admin forum. Listener forum is for listener support not provider support..

Thanks!!

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
The problem seems to be result of using mono 3.5mm to mono 3.5mm audio cables between the scanner and computer. I had a stereo 3.5mm to stereo 3.5mm cable that I tried and the issue went away. In my previous post, I mentioned the problem occurring even with the cables unplugged. That was false.

Status
Not open for further replies.