Use an EQ? Too much 'treble'

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmundal

Both of my feeds seem to have alot of high frequency hiss, and I was curious if anyone uses any sort of EQ program to clean up the sound of their feed? I don't notice this when listening to the scanner live, but what comes through the internet is really annoying. At least to my ears.

N2JDS

I had a problem too, check the quality of your audio cable. I was kind of surprised to hear the difference it made. Good Luck

If you are using Linux and Darkice you can turn on a lowpass filter, 5Khz is recommended.

I use that, but there is still some high frequency "noise" when using the on-board sondcard. Using a Soundblaster Live in a PCI slot is a lot quieter.

Listen to my two feeds, all the settings are the same but the fire feed is the on-board soundcard and the police is the Soundblaster.

I also recommend to my listeners set their playback EQ to a bandpass cutting everything below 500Hz and above 2.5Khz.

Last edited:

ebarranco

I realize this is an old thread, but I got here looking for some sort of bandpass filter for darkice. I noticed that I drastically reduced the bandwidth used and hissing noise by adding lowpass filters a while ago, but I noticed that now everything was too bassy especially if you listen to the stream on a THX 7.1 system.

I also wanted to share something I found that made my system a bit less complicated. Is the use of alsa and the dsnoop plugin. This allows me to split the stereo input in to 2 input devices. So the left channel is being fed by one scanner and streamed to a server and the right channel by another scanner and being sent to another server using a single sound card.

All you need to do is located on this URL: Issue 31 - darkice - Split Stereo input to TWO SEPARATE feeds - DarkIce is a live audio streamer. - Google Project Hosting

My streaming computer is an old wyse terminal VX0 I picked up on ebay for $25 with debian installed on a 2gb flash USB drive. The sound card is an USB iMic by griffin. Everything run nice and after enabling cpu scaling the machine seats idle at 532Mhz and according to my kill-a-watt is only using 4 to 6 watts. Beats my old setup by about 50 watts and $10 cheaper than a raspberry pi.

I just thought about shearing this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.