Looking at setting up a second or third feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
So I am considering setting up a second and possibly third live feed. I want to use the same laptop for them if possible. I only have one mic port in it. I have looked at this however I can't use it because I am not sure if its possible to hook a PCI to a laptop, unless there is some kind of adapter. Is there something similar to this device that is USB or somthing that I could use on my laptop? Any suggestions? Thank you.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I had a similar problem. I use a thin client so only a mic in port. I had mixed results with the $1 USB sound cards from eBay.

I bought this: Newegg.com - ENCORE ENMAB-8CM 7.1 Channel USB Audio Box

I split the line in (left and right) on it and that serves 2 feeds. I use the mic in on the thin client for #3.

I think it works great. If you want to take a listen, try my Hamden County FD feed. Scanner is a BCT15x.

Last edited:

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Correct me if im wrong, but I can use the mic port build into the laptop for feed one, and use the ones in that device for feeds 2 and 3?

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Yes. That is exactly what I do.

Feed 1 built in mic port

(I use the radio shack cable in the wiki to take a single stero port to 2 mono)
Feed 2 left channel of line in
Feed 3 right channel of line in

Might even be able to do a fourth if the box has a mic port too. I can't remember if it does or not.

Edit:
I see it has two mic ports. I never tried them. Looks like that one box could do 4 feeds itself!

Last edited:

ebarranco

I use Linux/Darkice to do my streamings. I use an old wyse termianl VX0 I picked up on ebay for $25 and the OS is installed on a 2GB flash drive. For audio input I use an iMic made by griffin I also got from ebay for $8. With alsa you can then use the dsnoop plugin and split the stereo input in to 2 feeds and run 2 instances of darkice with different configuration files. Just google "Darkice split stereo input" there is a google code post with all the info.

If you can boot your laptop from an USB flash drive, I don't see why you couldn't do something like I am doing. Mic inputs on computers are made for electret mics (there is a phantom voltage to power mics of about 5 to 8 or so volts). This causes all sort of hissing and humming noises and what not if you are connecting scanners direct without and impedance matching / isolation circuit in-between.

I imagine you could add more iMics or similar devices to increase the amount of feeds. each time adding 2 feeds or more. You can listen to my feeds at TRYON Amateur Radio Club K2JJI - RACES Drill – Tuesday at 7pm EST | On air: -146.70Mhz PL:100Hz | EchoLink: 510372 | Fulton County NY

Status
Not open for further replies.