How to adjust and "clean" up transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shajoe44

I just got my feed online and I was monitoring the transmission on my android phone here at work and the transmissions don't seem to be as clear as they ought to be. I am not getting any kind of hums or buzz's like others have described, it just seems the voice transmissions need to be clean up and also louder. Any suggestions to a newbie on how to adjust and clean up as much as possible. I am broadcasting a non trunking county system from a PRO2006 scanner using audio cable on the headphone out on scanner to audio in on the desktop. Edgefield County, SC

Thanks

04Z1V6

Yea that is bad. I would go into your sound settings on your computer and adjust them first. Make sure your settings are not amplifying any noise that is coming into your computer.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Just turning down the audio level will make your feed sound 100% better and it will still be just as loud. The audio is being clipped from being over driven and that is introducing what sounds like interference to the transmissions. One of these meters is a must to help adjust the levels. Audio Level Meter

It also appears you might want to tighten up the squelch.

External speaker and headphone jack are outputs, not inputs. You need to use an audio input on your computer. This might be a microphone or a line in connection.

Mike

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

Shajoe44:

Per the Live Audio Wiki: "Avoid using the speaker output of the radio because the output level maybe too high for the computer input and cause distortion". Line Out or REC Out are preferred if the scanner has those. If not, then the headphone jack would be your next best choice.

shajoe44

I have downloaded the meters and also adjusted the volume level of the scanner input. It seems to have helped a lot. What levels on the meters should I be trying to reach or stay within for maximum effect.

Thanks

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Think of 0 as 100% and shoot for that to be the level you want. You can run peaks over 0, but you don't want the meter maxing out into the +20 range. I have some peaks that run up to around +8 on my feed.

I've done some listening on your feed and it sounds much better, but now could be louder.

Mike

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Increase the level on the computer while watching the meter. You may have to increase the volume on the scanner if it isn't driving the sound card high enough. You just have to experiment while keeping an eye on the meter and monitoring your feed.

Mike

shajoe44

Thanks, I will try and peak it later tonight when I get home. Thanks once again for all the help. Its a small county but I like listening with my phone at times while I am at work.

bmxpro822

can you help me to.

Just turning down the audio level will make your feed sound 100% better and it will still be just as loud. The audio is being clipped from being over driven and that is introducing what sounds like interference to the transmissions. One of these meters is a must to help adjust the levels. Audio Level Meter

It also appears you might want to tighten up the squelch.

External speaker and headphone jack are outputs, not inputs. You need to use an audio input on your computer. This might be a microphone or a line in connection.

Mike[

what is AB , MS? I tryed to google it but when you dont know what it stands for it hard to get good info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.