RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Broadcastify Administration

Broadcastify Administration - Administration topics for Broadcastify.com. This forum is for Broadcastify feed providers to get support from Broadcastify Admins. Other audio questions go here: Streaming /Broadcasting / Audio Recording forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2016, 5:30 PM
Founder and CEO
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Just simply open a trouble ticket with me and I'll block them from hosting feeds on their site that they don't broadcast.
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2016, 2:38 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetraglia View Post
I don't see a problem with it. Everybody is re-broadcasting a PS agency these days anyway. Do YOU have permission to re-broadcast the PS content to start with? If not, why would they need permission?
It's just a matter of time before it becomes secure, so no one will be listening to any of it. !!
Yep, everyone will be re-broadcasting R2D2 audio at some point anyway.
Old 09-15-2016, 3:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Look at it as a form of 'flattery'.

One of my feeds has been online, in one form or another for almost 20 years. (now on Broadcastify)

A while back, out of curiosity, I searched online to see if anyone was linking to it from their site.

There were a bunch of them.
At one site, my feed had 1900 followers.

If you're not in it to make money, but to provide a public service, so much the better.

Rich
Old 09-16-2016, 6:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Two dumb questions.
And i say dumb questions, because Lindsey has already offered the correct solution to the issue, AND it seems like it worked itself out.

1. Is it costing you anything (i.e. increased server load, increased traffic causing higher server fees) for them to rebroadcast it?

2. ... i forgot where i was going with this.
Old 09-16-2016, 6:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
Two dumb questions.
And i say dumb questions, because Lindsey has already offered the correct solution to the issue, AND it seems like it worked itself out.

1. Is it costing you anything (i.e. increased server load, increased traffic causing higher server fees) for them to rebroadcast it?

2. ... i forgot where i was going with this.
The OP believes he is loosing newspaper customers to the other newspaper in town.
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2016, 9:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

the OP operates a FREE online newspaper. And while you can argue things like lost ad revenue, I was talking about tangible costs.

Basically, was he financially damaged in the form of having to pay out of pocket for the actions of the other paper.
Old 09-16-2016, 9:45 PM
Founder and CEO
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Someone is rebroadcasting my feed on their website without my consent, what can I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
the OP operates a FREE online newspaper. And while you can argue things like lost ad revenue, I was talking about tangible costs.

Basically, was he financially damaged in the form of having to pay out of pocket for the actions of the other paper.

The issue is that Broadcastify is financially damaged if everyone and their brother was allowed to embed any and all of our feeds on third party sites. We allow the feed provider to embed their own feeds on their own sites.

Uninterested third parties that just want to "steal" Broadcastify content to make ad revenue and other money on their sites hurts Broadcastify, since we lose out on that revenue opportunity.
Old 09-16-2016, 9:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Turn the Feed off and post who is re-broadcasting it and tell everyone to "thank him" personally.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just a silly question but: if that competing news agency has been around for 100 years or whatever, it seems logical to assume they're doing well financially (since so many news organizations that have been around that long have disappeared or been forced to go pure digital instead of physical) so would it be beyond all rationale and reason to suggest to them that they go out and buy a scanner for their own uses?

If the OP's scanner feed is for comms in his immediate area (which would seem logical considering he owns a scanner that's providing the audio feed to Broadcastify in the first place) then obviously that news agency should be able to get one too.

Are they just that cheap or completely technologically illiterate?

Last edited by br0adband; 09-17-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Old 09-17-2016, 1:51 PM
Founder and CEO
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

They typically outsource a lot of their digital online activities and it's some consultant that probably thought it was as good idea for the site to generate traffic.
Old 10-09-2016, 7:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

While I understand the point the that his feed is a rebroadcast...I also understand his complaint. He was trying to gain a business edge...Nothing wrong with that...He spent the funds to set up the equipment....Sounds like the problem has worked itself out...
Old 10-16-2016, 9:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've lived in enough small towns to know that local newspapers and radio stations can be very petty. As can competing funeral homes. This is indeed childish. Just call the head guy of the competing paper and ask to have your original feed credited. However, it appears the damage is already done. And yes, for a newspaper person, the grammar used in the Facebook notification is poor.
Old 07-04-2017, 7:26 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

As a feed provider, I can understand the OP's position. Broadcastify operates under the Creative commons License and using their site as a source without acknowledgment (or written consent, I can't quote it word for word) is a violation. While Broadcastify is putting out money to host the feeds and provide it to apps, the feed providers are also making a sacrifice of equipment costs, utilities, and time to ensure the feed is available for the public to listen to. Without the feed providers doing their part, none of it would be in existence. It is kinda like an implied partnership with Broadcastify. I have a Facebook page I created the same day as I stared the feed, mainly to get feedback from those who listen, but over the years it has turned into a trusted source of information with 27,500+ followers to date. While I wouldn't say what I do is "news", I guess in a way it is. There are always others who see what I am doing in the community and pop up trying to do it, but the difference is, they do not have any tangible assets as as source for their info, they are (admittingly) using the online scanner as a source, but not acknowledging it. It may sound childish to some, , but I totally get it!
Old 07-04-2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1 View Post
You can make them remove your feed all by themselves, and get free advertising from them too.

Here is how:

Add another frequency to your scanner, make it an FRS frequency.
Key up on your FRS radio using that FRS frequency and announce as follows:

THIS SCANNER FEED IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY XXXXXXX NEWS SERVICE! We hope you are all enjoying this feed, courtesy of XXXXXXX NEWS SERVICE.

Announce that every 30 minutes or so and wait until they remove it from their site.

LOL
I was having the EXACT same thought !!
or............
accidently link their feed to the 147.435 Amateur Repeater pot of Los Angeles/Orange Ciunty
they'll pull the plug real fast !!
ICOM H-16 (3 )/ U-16/ V-100 / 2100H and misc scanners.