Windows 10 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgowen44

Feed Provider
Hello,

I am considering using a newer laptop for the 2 feeds I provide. Currently, there is a ANCIENT Windows XP machine running them and although it works, there is an annoying background noise which I assume are the cheap USB sound "cards" I am using. I have a Windows 10 laptop not doing anything and I have a couple of questions:

Will scanner cast work on Windows 10?
Since I have 2 feeds, should I use the build in sound card for one of the feeds and one of the USB ones for the other?

Seems only a matter of time before this old thing self destructs LOL. Been a workhouse though!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Check to see how many line in jacks you have. My desktop had a couple, and they're perfect for feeds. And you may want to invest in a couple ground loop isolators.

Edit.. ok i'm not awake yet.. Just noticed "Laptop"...(bangs head on desk)

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Since I have 2 feeds, should I use the build in sound card for one of the feeds and one of the USB ones for the other?

Sorry for being late to this thread! I'd like to suggest that you use one of these units for your feeds:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B000KW2YEIhttp://

I use one for my two feeds. It puts zero background noise into the feed. Use the left-side input jack for one feed and the right-side input jack for the other feed. It's a little pricey relative to some of the USB audio input devices, but it works great!

rcool101

Feed Provider
My 2¢....Scanner volumes sound loud to me....Hearing lots of noise like static when it should be quiet. Not a hum..Try a different usb sound card for FD....(I bought 5 when I ordered mine). Might be a bad one. Or switch them...
I run my 396T on volume 5 into a usb sound card...Using Radio Feed on a laptop with Win 10

AC9BX

To do this properly you need line out from the scanner. Some have it, some don't. Using the speaker output especially and even the headphone output will always over drive the line in on the computer. Many computers, especially notebooks, do not have a line in, they have only a microphone in. Feeding that with line level will over drive it. Feeding that with headphone or speaker level will clobber it. You can insert audio level pads in between. Also, the speaker and headphone outputs are noisy compared to line out. Scanners and any such radio do not have hifi outputs. Hum is only one issue. Using speaker or headphone outs presents another issue for noise. The volume control on the radio adjusts the input to the amplifier section. The noise from the amplifier is mostly constant. So turning the volume down to attempt to avoid over driving the computer input will only adjust the received audio level but the noise will remain.

rcool101

Feed Provider
No line out for the OP....Nor for me...headphone jack works fine into USB sound card. No reason to over analyze it......KISS....:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.