Feed dropping in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt_531

For two separate mornings this week, my feed suddenly drops at around 5AM and then is off and on intermittently until around noon. The only reason I know this is happening is because of the email that I get when it is down. Comcast says it is not an internet issue and that my modem is not logging any downtime. They've been out here once and changed out the modem etc, then the problems resolved. I've changed Ethernet cables, coax, jacks, etc. to make sure the problem was not on my end, but I don't believe it is. Without staring at the Comcast router all day, is there a tool I can use to either eliminate them as the source or prove that it is them? Thanks in advance!!

emt_531

Download PingPlotter and use it to run a traceroute to the server which hosts your feed. Start it and let it run for several hours.

Thanks. I did so and set it to ping Goggle, Twitter and the Broadcastify server that I am feeding to. What exactly am I looking for? Latency, packet loss or both? 3 of the hops to Broadcastify are all tapped out over 89ms of latency and 50-60% packet loss. Then it gets much better and finally to it's designation.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
What exactly am I looking for? Latency, packet loss or both? 3 of the hops to Broadcastify are all tapped out over 89ms of latency and 50-60% packet loss. Then it gets much better and finally to it's designation.

Start with packet loss. You'll want to see where the connection is failing. 50%-60% packet loss is not a good thing, haha.

n0nhp

With the logs in hand, you can (after many calls I am sure) actually talk to one of the network engineers at your ISP and show them exactly where the packets are getting dropped.
If it is outside their system, they will have to go as the customer to the engineers of the portion of the network that is losing the packets and get them to do something about the loss. You are paying your ISP. They are paying the next level and so on.
Document- Document- Document!
My problems were in the last mile (between my house and the ISP)
After many calls and finally documenting the amount of time I did not have service and docking their payment accordingly. I got the top local engineer out to my house on a Sunday, showed him my notebook of ping charts and by Wednesday had a new drop from the pole, a new distribution amp on the main line a quarter mile from my house and have had no real problems since.

It takes perseverance but you can finally get the problems cleared up.
Bruce

emt_531

Thank you all for the responses so far. Last night I switched out the feed from ScannerCast to RadioFeed thinking that was the issue. Sure enough, from about 3AM till about noon, Radiofeed kept giving these errors:

Source Client - Broadcastify Timeout
Source Client - Disconnected
Source Client - Connected to a Broadcastify Server

It did this approximately 34 times that I counted between this time period, but the feed only disconnected once per the feed statistics around 7AM.

This is frustrating to say the least.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Are you using AVG Anti-Virus software by any chance? That program interprets TCP traffic.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Do you have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)? It's common for power companies to have a quick interruption in service during peak demand times as their computers make adjustments on the grid to balance the load.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue with a remote feed. I noticed under "technicals" that the feed would go offline for 5-8 minutes and then come back on. Some days this would happen 3-4 times in the morning hours. I thought it was Comcast as well. Then I swapped out the gateway and replaced it with a modem and router and never had problem again.

Status
Not open for further replies.