RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Broadcastify/Live Audio Administration

Broadcastify/Live Audio Administration - Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on Broadcastify.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support. Other audio questions go here: Streaming /Broadcasting / Audio Recording forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 9:04 AM
Founder and CEO
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Feed Provider Terms of Service - What can and cannot be broadcast

Folks,

It looks like we're all a bit confused regarding the Feed provider TOS. The term "dedicated" in the TOS does not refer to the feed itself, rather the frequencies and talkgroups broadcast on the feed.

The current Feed Provider TOS can be found here:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index...rms_of_Service

Feed Providers are not allowed to broadcast:

* SWAT "type" operations if on dedicated channels or talkgroups
* Narcotics / CID / Investigations or other tactical operations
* Dedicated channels or talkgroups for Ambulance to Hospital Communications
* Dedicated Federal Government or Military Communications (exceptions include any fire fighting operations, space shuttle communications, park ranger operations)
* Any commercial service broadcast (FM/AM/TV etc)
* Music or talk show of any kind (commercial or non-commercial)
* DJ or other type of similar activity (commercial or non-commercial)
* Open Microphones

RadioReference reserves the right to limit access to or disable broadcasts that the management feels not appropriate for the community.

Some examples to help you understand what can and cannot be put on your feed:

1) If an agency has a dedicated frequency or talkgroup for SWAT operations - it is not allowed to be on the feed. If the agency's SWAT team operates on the PD regular dispatch frequency, than it is OK.

2) If an agency has a dedicated frequency for ambulance to hospital communications, it is not allow to be on the feed. If the EMS agency passes patient reports over the regular EMS Dispatch channel, that's OK.

I've updated the TOS to exempt certain federal and military broadcasts, such as USFS, Space Shuttle, and other public safety type items provided by the feds.

In any case such as this, there will always be exceptions and variations to this rule, but feed providers should maintain the spirit of what we have put into place.

If there is a question about whether or not something can be broadcast, please email the audio team at audio [at] radioreference.com so we can address the issue.

Thanks,

NOTE: I deleted the other thread regarding TOS to help consolidate the correct information here.

Last edited by blantonl; 01-27-2011 at 1:19 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2010, 8:48 PM

Can you define tactical? I'm not sure of the exact definition of that word as it applie here, I mean, Does that include an emergency services unit talkgroup on a state police system? What about Department of fire and emergency building services?

There's a few grey areas on some systems just because of how they're aplha tagged in the db.
Old 02-14-2010, 1:14 PM
Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrigan45Unit View Post
Can you define tactical? I'm not sure of the exact definition of that word as it applie here, I mean, Does that include an emergency services unit talkgroup on a state police system? What about Department of fire and emergency building services?

There's a few grey areas on some systems just because of how they're aplha tagged in the db.
Meaning Vice, SWAT, or surveillance..etc. Tac freq/TG are fine.
Old 02-14-2010, 2:19 PM

Another good question is how often does a feed need to be active? I ordered another scanner (for personal use this time), but I figured I could turn it into a stream when I'm not using it. But it would probably be off more than on.
Old 02-14-2010, 4:32 PM
Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggraves View Post
Another good question is how often does a feed need to be active? I ordered another scanner (for personal use this time), but I figured I could turn it into a stream when I'm not using it. But it would probably be off more than on.
We're not going to tell you how active a feed needs to be. The only thing i can tell you on that is if the feed is down for 3 weeks then the system removes it.
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2010, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrik578 View Post
We're not going to tell you how active a feed needs to be. The only thing i can tell you on that is if the feed is down for 3 weeks then the system removes it.
Oh no, 3 weeks is WAY too long. Thanks for clarification!
Old 02-14-2010, 6:12 PM
Silent Key

I've always wanted to listen to milair activity but I'm in a area where it's not possible,it's a shame I'm not able to listen like those that are close enough to pick up activity,one of the reasons I don't use radioreference's live broadcasts since there really isn't that much for me to be interested in to listen to.
Slow learner for wanting to play prog metal guitar....
Old 02-14-2010, 7:06 PM
Founder and CEO
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggraves View Post
We would probably prefer that you not do this... it only serves to drive numerous complaints to the admin staff about "why is such-and-such feed down??"

Trust me when I tell you we get hundreds of complaints about feeds being down when they are down. Remember, the live audio feeds have introduced a whole new audience to our hobby - and they don't understand the concept of volunteer broadcasters.
Old 02-14-2010, 7:08 PM

I'll probably end up saving the scanner for helping me with IPN dispatching then.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2010, 7:52 PM

Wink Nb rcmp

Hello,
I want to know if it's possible to get some live audio radio in the New-Brunswick RCMP and city police. A lot pf poeple want to her whats is going on in the New-Brunswick, Canada.

If you need something for the information of the RCMP in New-Brunswick let me know!!!

THANKS !!!
Old 04-27-2010, 2:40 PM

Default Vice

Quote:
Meaning Vice, SWAT, or surveillance..etc. Tac freq/TG are fine.
I am in the San Fernando Valley just a few miles north of L.A. proper.

Right now, on Van Nuys's regular dispatch freq, I believe it's 506.712, here: Los Angeles Police - Van Nuys, Valley Traffic and Tacticals Live Scanner Audio Feed there seems to be a Vice Sweep going on.
Vice units in L.A. are V or Victor units.
Believe it or not, they are still walking the streets in decent areas of the city.. I actually saw one today.. OMG!

Last edited by fischlerpromo; 04-27-2010 at 2:44 PM..
Old 04-27-2010, 3:13 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischlerpromo View Post
I am in the San Fernando Valley just a few miles north of L.A. proper.

Right now, on Van Nuys's regular dispatch freq, I believe it's 506.712, here: Los Angeles Police - Van Nuys, Valley Traffic and Tacticals Live Scanner Audio Feed there seems to be a Vice Sweep going on.
Believe it or not, they are still walking the streets in decent areas of the city.. I actually saw one today.. OMG!
I believe it is only frequencies or talkgroups that are dedicated to SWAT/vice that are prohibited. A regular dispatch channel doesn't routinely have those types of things.

Just enjoy what you hear and keep it to yourself and everyone will be happy

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 04-27-2010, 3:35 PM

Default Vice

Actually this is nothing new for L.A. it's basically always been that way for quite a while.
They do check in with dispatch on this channel.

Yes, they got to a different freq to talk car to car..and I think a lot of it is done via cell phone too.

The funny part is when they get near enough to you that you can hear their conversations on Simplex, (without use of the repeater) and the remarks they make back and for about the individual people walking the streets.

...but they have to be no more than a quarter mile or so from a scanner with a regular antenna.
Old 04-28-2010, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Right now, on Van Nuys's regular dispatch freq, I believe it's 506.712... there seems to be a Vice Sweep going on.
The "Victor" divisional vice units mainly work low-level violators like streetwalkers, individual business alcohol violations, etc, as opposed to major and organized-crime related offenders, which come under the purview of the citywide Organized Crime & Vice "4-Ida" and "5-Ida" (used to be Admin Vice "6Y") units.

Being divisional units, the "V" units use the normal frequencies available to the patrol folks, rather than the specialized citywide dedicated vice, narcotics, anti-terrorist etc frequencies, which is what my interpretation of what the Feed Provider TOS prohibit. So I tend to agree with mtindor when he or she wrote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
I believe it is only frequencies or talkgroups that are dedicated to SWAT/vice that are prohibited. A regular dispatch channel doesn't routinely have those types of things.
especially the part about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Just enjoy what you hear and keep it to yourself and everyone will be happy
Also, regarding
Quote:
The funny part is when they get near enough to you that you can hear their conversations on Simplex, (without use of the repeater) and the remarks they make back and for about the individual people walking the streets.

...but they have to be no more than a quarter mile or so from a scanner with a regular antenna.
Since moving from analog to digital in 2001, what are still called the division "simplex" frequencies are now all repeater-capable, and as often as not are used in duplex/repeater mode. Matter of fact, you will often hear conversations between two units, one using true simplex and the other going through the repeater. Not being all that radio-wise, as long as they can hear each other most officers neither know nor care about the difference, though they should. But I did my share of roll-call trainings about that 5-10 years ago, so that worry now belongs to someone still on the active-duty payroll

By the way, Van Nuys division's "simplex" frequency is 506.975, and like most divisions, its repeater is at the station, so coverage is usually fine within the division, but it's not as robust as the bureau-wide or citywide tactical frequencies. The correct name for those divisional car-to-car frequencies (channels 101-125) is now "Enhanced / Fallback," but nobody ever calls them that after 30 years of saying "simplex."
Old 06-16-2010, 7:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Regarding the e-mail sent to feed providers today...

I received the e-mail sent to feed providers today regarding what can and cannot be streamed.
I have no problem with it, since it's all either common sense or in accordance with various laws.

I have one question however for the admins...
Occasionally after doing some maintenance on either the feed computer or feed scanners, I'll want to check the audio volume and quality. Since I frequently do this late at night when things are not so busy, I'll punch the weather button on the scanner and monitor the audio on another computer for a few seconds, and then resume normal scanning. Using the weather gives me a source of guaranteed, uninterrupted audio to check things with.
For the admins: is this going to cause any problems? Please, admins only.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firescannerbob View Post
I received the e-mail sent to feed providers today regarding what can and cannot be streamed.
I have no problem with it, since it's all either common sense or in accordance with various laws.

I have one question however for the admins...
Occasionally after doing some maintenance on either the feed computer or feed scanners, I'll want to check the audio volume and quality. Since I frequently do this late at night when things are not so busy, I'll punch the weather button on the scanner and monitor the audio on another computer for a few seconds, and then resume normal scanning. Using the weather gives me a source of guaranteed, uninterrupted audio to check things with.
For the admins: is this going to cause any problems? Please, admins only.

Thanks!
You used the phrase "common sense" in your post, so apply a little to your own question. Of course flipping the NOAA channel on for a few seconds to check audio levels in the middle of the night isn't going to be a problem. The TOS are addressing feeds that are dedicated full time to those types of feeds being prohibited, not a ten second sound check.
Old 06-16-2010, 8:24 PM
Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin

Yea, that's totally fine. As Chauffeur said, this only applies to full time broadcast.
Old 06-16-2010, 8:42 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Yea, that's totally fine. As Chauffeur said, this only applies to full time broadcast.
Thanks for the reply from an ADMIN.

While I understand that common sense should apply, my thoughts of what is common sense, and what the admins feel is common sense may not always be the same thing. I just didn't want some troll complaining about a few seconds of NOAA on my feed. As long as the admins are good with it, so be it.
Old 06-16-2010, 8:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

[.....

Last edited by firescannerbob; 06-16-2010 at 8:58 PM.. Reason: Never mind.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Did all feed providers get the email about what can and can't be streamed?

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a complaint on one of my feeds.

Thanks

Richard
KB4YTM

ScanTN Tennessee Scanner Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scantn/
Closed Thread