"humming" on my feed?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Does anybody know how to get rid of the "humm" that is broadcasting over my feed? It's been there for the longest time and I have no clue how to fix it. It's worse when I have my scanner plugged into the wall so I have to run my feed of rechargeable batteries so it doesn't make audio issues, but there is still humming, does ANYBODY know the problem and how to get rid of it? I would appreciate any help... Thanks!

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Is the audio lead plugged in all the way in on the computer & radio ?

Yup, first thing I checked for! I've even went on windows and adjusted the microphone volume and such, I just can't think of anything to get rid of it. I'm very technologically-savvy so if u know a more advanced way plz tell me! :) Thx

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
I was just listening to your feed Dave and I didn't notice a hum. It actually sounded pretty good !

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
I was just listening to your feed Dave and I didn't notice a hum. It actually sounded pretty good !

Hmmmmmm maybe it's just when I listen to it on my laptop since I'm using my laptop to broadcast the feed, some sorta feedback in my speakers maybe then... Hmmm

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Ok now I have narrowed down some of the problem... I'm running a Windows 7 laptop with the ScannerCast software from RadioReference and using the mic port on my laptop to broadcast as well. The problem I've found is the "humming" only happens when I plug my scanner into the wall using the adapter it came with, when I just use rechargeable batteries there's no hum and my feed is loud and clear (listen for urself), so I'm running my feed 24/7 of changing rechargeable batteries every 12 hours til I can figure out the problem. It only hums when there's a power source plugged into the scanner... Any ideas anyone???

04Z1V6

Yes, the power supply is giving you all that noise.I stopped this by buying a filtered surge protector, I also use a ground loop isolator.

mtlfirebuff

Feed Provider
I had the same problem and the ground loop isolator helped clear up most of it. Interesting thing though is I have to run it on my 796 because I have been unable to configure the home patrol that was bought especially for the feed to run the feed. All kinds of noise and other problems.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Actually I'm using the RadioShack approved adapter that my scanner came with (also a RadioShack, PRO-163 or 164 -- the handheld not the base unit)...

redhat

I use an audio isolation transformer so the ground on the scanner audio output jack is isolated from the input ground on the computer.

absarjames

i personally would say that you should check the audio cable linking the radio to the computer if that dosen't work your radio is picking up interference from another transmitter..

W2NJS

Despite all the well-meant suggestions no one has told you that the hum you're hearing is the 60 Hertz on the AC from the power company. This happens when the power supply does not do an adequate job of filtering out the hum and the exact cause is faulty or insufficiently-sized filter capacitors. A wall wart usually does a poor job of filtering hum, so a "real" power supply is probably what's needed in your case to solve the problem.

jwjkp

I use to have this problem on my stream and I solved it. Completely.

I must have tried a dozen different things before I came to my solution. It will cost about $60-$70, but it is well worth it.

You basically need two different things. First you need a ground loop isolator. I recommend using one no matter what. Below is one from ebay (the same one I use)

PAC SNI-1/3.5 MM JACK GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR NOISE FILTER | eBay

The other thing that will basically solve this issue by itself is this:

13.8VDC 3-Amp Power Supply : Power Supplies | RadioShack.com

Most base scanners will come with a wire to connect your scanner to your car's electrical system. With the above product you just use that instead of the AC adapter. Below is an example picture of the power cable I am talking about. This removes the 60Hz hum issue. You connect that wire to the radio shack convertor and you will be hum free.

http://forums.radioreference.com/at...3571908-need-dc-hard-wire-pro-2055-w90815.jpg

Believe me, this works great.

absarjames

Despite all the well-meant suggestions no one has told you that the hum you're hearing is the 60 Hertz on the AC from the power company. This happens when the power supply does not do an adequate job of filtering out the hum and the exact cause is faulty or insufficiently-sized filter capacitors. A wall wart usually does a poor job of filtering hum, so a "real" power supply is probably what's needed in your case to solve the problem.
that is possible a simple ups or surge protector should rectify the problem but it is most likely that someone is transmitting on the same frequency you are scanning and they have a bad antenna connection.

i have this problem from time to time on my feed and it always seems to be someone with a bad transmitter transmitting on the frequency that i am receiving.

i wouldn't say it is a power problem because the electricity in my country is worse than it is in your county

jwjkp

that is possible a simple ups or surge protector should rectify the problem but it is most likely that someone is transmitting on the same frequency you are scanning and they have a bad antenna connection.

i have this problem from time to time on my feed and it always seems to be someone with a bad transmitter transmitting on the frequency that i am receiving.

i wouldn't say it is a power problem because the electricity in my country is worse than it is in your county

It is a power issue (60Hz hum). My suggestion above should solve it for him. UPS and surge protectors will not help because the problem is with the filters in his AC adapter.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Well It's definitely NOT a problem of someone transmitting on the same frequency because I'm broadcasting an 800-Trunked system for a Police Department so there's no way someone else is transmitting on there besides Police... Another thing is I am leaning more towards a power problem that was suggested about the 60-hz thing because when I don't use a power supply and just use batteries there's no hum at all, it only hums when I plug it in the wall. The only thing I don't understand is I bought that power supply from Radio Shack along with the scanner I bought from there because that is the only power supply RadioShack has that powers this particular scanner...

jwjkp

Well It's definitely NOT a problem of someone transmitting on the same frequency because I'm broadcasting an 800-Trunked system for a Police Department so there's no way someone else is transmitting on there besides Police... Another thing is I am leaning more towards a power problem that was suggested about the 60-hz thing because when I don't use a power supply and just use batteries there's no hum at all, it only hums when I plug it in the wall. The only thing I don't understand is I bought that power supply from Radio Shack along with the scanner I bought from there because that is the only power supply RadioShack has that powers this particular scanner...

Take my suggestions above David. Got to radio shack and buy this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103959

Your problem will be solved. Refer to my entire post above though.

Status
Not open for further replies.