Delay for my transmission ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

va2aba

Hello,
Why do I get a delay of 45 seconds between the transmission's ScannerCast K1PGV RR and retransmission RadioReference.com on the server?

What can I do to improve the delays?

Thank you very much, really great RadioReference.com

Pascal
va2aba

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Because it takes time to convert analog audio to digital, upload to server, download to client, and convert back to analog. Plus if you don't buffer it about 30 seconds, you will get a lot of skips and jumps.

va2aba

Hi rdale,

Ok thank you very much there is a way to transfer directly to the server in digital?
Does it improve the delay ?

Pascal
va2aba

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Well you never can completely eliminate the delay - it's just physically impossible. It can be done with special streaming software, but it's much more intensive. Plus again it would require every listener to have perfect, uninterrupted bandwidth. Not many of those ISPs exist.

Rob1956

Feed Provider
Isn't the delay also considered beneficial because it would mess up the timing of someone doing criminal activity? The theory is that realtime following of police activity would give a criminal an advantage....

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Isn't the delay also considered beneficial because it would mess up the timing of someone doing criminal activity?

No, because nobody uses the feeds to successfully commit criminal activity. They use this new-fangled thing called a scanner if that is their goal :)

va2aba

Well you never can completely eliminate the delay - it's just physically impossible. It can be done with special streaming software, but it's much more intensive. Plus again it would require every listener to have perfect, uninterrupted bandwidth. Not many of those ISPs exist.

Ok thank you for all the information, I just wanted to reduce the delays a little bit.

The system is exellent.
Bye

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.