Added second feed, but playing both scanners on one feed! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

w8dzn

I have searched and search this problem and I have not found an answer. I am running windows 7 and have one scanner feed. I decided to add a second one. I added an isolation ground transformers in-line. I have checked the insulation transformers, the Wye splitter cable to assure that the channels are indeed separated Left from the Right. I made two cables with a mono plug and a stereo plug on the other. Again checking to assure that one is tor the Left channel and the other cable is for the Right channel. In the ScannerCast software I have check “Enable Stereo Input”. I get both scanners on the one feed. I have also tried 4 different computers and the last one is a brand new unit! What gives? A question that hit me in the very beginning was. How does the software know which channel is what? What am I missing? I am beyond frustrated, and I am border line darn right mad!!! LOL… I am running two sessions of Scannercast also.

Adenosine

I did not know you could select left or right ch. for feeding in Scannercast. Maybe my Scannercast is an older version but I do not see where I could shut off the left side to feed the right then do the opposite for an additional feed.

What you have described is setting up a stereo feed, one scanner on left, scanner two on right.....twice.

Adenosine

What is it you want to do? Two scanners into the computer (Left and Right) then supply 2 seperate feeds?

w8dzn

I have done that. Left channel is scanner #1 and Right channel is scanner #2. The first Scannercast is set to feed scanner #1 and the second Scannercast is set to feed scanner #2. However Scannercast #1 plays both scanner 1 & 2. What am I missing here? Do I need two soundcards? One for each feed?

Adenosine

When you select Enable Stereo on Scannercast that is telling scannercast to transmit both left and right channels as a stereo feed at 32k bits. Thats why you have both scanners on 1 feed.

Running Scannercast a second time is just pulling the same audio from the same channels. You need to turn off one side depending on which feed you want to supply. I don't see an option in scannercast to do that.

ProScan you can have a stereo in, slide the input volume down on the side you want to mute. Select mono feed, then transmit. This way you supply two seperate feeds at RR with mono feeds from a stereo feed coming into your computer.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I think we're all a bit confused. Why run Scannercast twice?
You want a stereo feed with one side (left) being one feed and the other side (right) being the second feed. The listener of the feed decides if they want to just hear one feed or both via their speaker slider controls.

Adenosine

I have done that. Left channel is scanner #1 and Right channel is scanner #2. The first Scannercast is set to feed scanner #1 and the second Scannercast is set to feed scanner #2. However Scannercast #1 plays both scanner 1 & 2. What am I missing here? Do I need two soundcards? One for each feed?

Are you under the impression that selecting the Radio Ref feed in ScannerCast determines which scanner your pulling your audio from?

w8dzn

I came to a understanding last night before I fell asleep. I was thinking the Scanner cast did in fact determine which feed is being sent. I realize I was wrong. I need to install another sound card to send the second feed.
I want to thank everyone for their help and understanding of my stupidity and confusion. Enjoy a good laugh over this.. I have.. Thanks again everyone..
Ken, W8DZN

Adenosine

There are programs that can pull sources from left or right and keep them seperate for seperate feeds. I tried it with ProScan a few years ago and I believe it was stable.

Others may throw in some more opinions on this, might be helpful.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Now I'm confused again - why a second sound card? I guess I was thinking you wanted two scanners on one feed.
If you in fact want to run two completely separate feeds, I would suggest a USB to audio adapter. It is much simpler - I run 6 of them on the same PC for my feeds.

richtidd

Database Admin
I have searched and search this problem and I have not found an answer. I am running windows 7 and have one scanner feed. I decided to add a second one. I added an isolation ground transformers in-line. I have checked the insulation transformers, the Wye splitter cable to assure that the channels are indeed separated Left from the Right. I made two cables with a mono plug and a stereo plug on the other. Again checking to assure that one is tor the Left channel and the other cable is for the Right channel. In the ScannerCast software I have check “Enable Stereo Input”. I get both scanners on the one feed. I have also tried 4 different computers and the last one is a brand new unit! What gives? A question that hit me in the very beginning was. How does the software know which channel is what? What am I missing? I am beyond frustrated, and I am border line darn right mad!!! LOL… I am running two sessions of Scannercast also.

Before I can help you lets clear up terms.
1 You have a mono feed.
2 A feed can be mono (one) scanner or stereo (two scanners).
Adding another scanner to a feed does not make it another feed.
It only changes a mono feed into a stereo feed.

Now for the set up.
To have each radio come out the correct side you n3eed the correct cables & connect them the right way.

Please see here for Setting up your Broadcasting Station.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
Yes, I was wanting two different feeds with two different scanners. I will check into usb to sound adapters.
Thank you...

Since you want another feed, you will have to apply for it. You can't just add another feed. It won't work because you will get an error message. Radio Reference has to approve the feed, do some behind the scenes things and then you can start broadcasting the second feed.

w8dzn

I have it all figured out...
I have two feeds. Both have been approved by Radio reference. I want the two feeds Separated from each other.
Scanner 1 with a Mono feed on Scannercast(1). (sound card/ adapter 1)
Scanner 2 with a Mono feed on Scannercast(2). (sound card/ adapter 2)

Thank you
Ken, W8DZN

Status
Not open for further replies.