Site going down again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenVa

I've been getting the cloud error page also while browsing the forums. They open after I hit the button to refresh.

wise871

Database Admin
Same thing is happening to me also. Probably due all the listeners.

Website Offline, No Cached Version Available

The website you are trying to access is currently offline. The most likely causes are the server is down for maintenance, there may be a network problem, or the site may be experiencing excessive load.

The site uses CloudFlare in order to help keep it online when the server is down by serving cached copies of pages where they are available. Unfortunately, a cached copy of the page you requested is not available, but you may be able to reach other cached pages on the site.

If you continue to receive this error after you believe the site is back online, you can retry a live version of the site.

n5ims

When there was an outage that took RR down for a few hours a bit ago, the issue was due to issues with Amazon's site in northern VA. Since the hurricane is causing issues in VA, this may be causing some of the issues. Along with the extra load from folks listening to feeds in the area affected by hurricane Sandy, this could cause what you're seeing.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
When there was an outage that took RR down for a few hours a bit ago, the issue was due to issues with Amazon's site in northern VA. Since the hurricane is causing issues in VA, this may be causing some of the issues. Along with the extra load from folks listening to feeds in the area affected by hurricane Sandy, this could cause what you're seeing.

There was no outage from Amazon at all yesterday. At about 7:00 PM CST we started to see the load on the site creep up to a point where requests slowed down rather considerably. Around 7:30 PM CST we brought the Web site down for about 5 minutes to bring online 5 extra Web and database servers due to the load on the site. We functioned fine from that point forward serving a sustained 1750/requests a second from the Web infrastructure. Peak traffic was at about 9:00 PM CST.

I'll share some further stats with the community later today regarding the event.

BTW, the forums are a very low priority during very high traffic events such as these, so while you may receive errors from the forums during these events, it means we are shifting resources to the overall site.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Once the Live Audio is fully moved to Broadcastify, will this be a problem?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I think the clock problem may be at play. Looks like someone already moved your clocks back an hour to CST, but that shouldn't happen until the weekend ;)

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
Last half hour I'm having trouble viewing audio pages. Site is slower to load. Server cloud error page explains possible problems. Hope if it goes down its not for hours like last week!

Same here last night, no big deal though. I was on the NY audio listening to the feed for the big fire in Queens! Over 3000 online for that. Very busy at that time and NYFD was hard at work.

mciupa

Database Admin
I think the clock problem may be at play. Looks like someone already moved your clocks back an hour to CST, but that shouldn't happen until the weekend ;)

Must be with computers that were pre-2007 vintage as that was the year when the gov't changed which weekend we "fall back". They must have the auto Daylight Savings Time detect check mark enabled.

n5ims

There was no outage from Amazon at all yesterday. At about 7:00 PM CST we started to see the load on the site creep up to a point where requests slowed down rather considerably. Around 7:30 PM CST we brought the Web site down for about 5 minutes to bring online 5 extra Web and database servers due to the load on the site. We functioned fine from that point forward serving a sustained 1750/requests a second from the Web infrastructure. Peak traffic was at about 9:00 PM CST.

I'll share some further stats with the community later today regarding the event.

BTW, the forums are a very low priority during very high traffic events such as these, so while you may receive errors from the forums during these events, it means we are shifting resources to the overall site.

Good to know. There may have been issues connecting through other providers however. Based on the various monitoring sites a few providers were having network issues, XO Communications especially while I was checking. It may have been that they lost some sites or links during the storm. If folks tried to connect through them they may have had issues unrelated to the site.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Must be with computers that were pre-2007 vintage as that was the year when the gov't changed which weekend we "fall back". They must have the auto Daylight Savings Time detect check mark enabled.

I was referring to the times in LB's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.