Feed drops out

Status
Not open for further replies.

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
How do i determine where to start looking... My feed will just drop out like the internet has gone out or something. I know its not the internet, i run a webcam on the same computer and it does not loose its connection. Did it all night last night, mostly after midnight and was sporadic. I am using the latest version of scannercast have 2 feeds on separate computers. Both are doing it. Audio9 server. I don't thing its my internet but i have rebooted everything anyway.I have already had one complaint. We had tornadoes sunday but nobody is complaining about Comcast internet.?? Please help or point me in he right direction.
Jeff

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
i had the same problem as well and Richard move my Police feed to Audio3 from Audio9 but mine was happening in the morning with the one feed of mine... :(

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if i should say something or not. The past 3 days have been horrible. We had 2 tornadoes come through and my scanner feed keeps dropping out. I thought it was my internet, but i have Yahoo Messenger broadcasting my webcam live and if the internet even stutters it will shut off the messenger. Messenger has been steady for 2 days now. Both of my scanners are on separate computers. one wired and one wireless. Both having the same issues, Both on Audio9. Who do you say i should contact?

Jeff

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
submit a help ticket on your feed, if you like wait to see if i have the problem resolved tomorrow.. up to you... Maybe Audio9 server has some issues...

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
Right now mine has been holding steady. Last (known) drop was @ 7PM ish.
I will wait and see what you say tomorrow. I work midnights so post what happens and i will go from there.
Thanks!
Jeff

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
yes my problem seems to have been cleared up so i would suggest asking them to move 1 feed off that server. I wonder if it has anything to do with running 2 feeds from the same IP address?

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Nope, you can provide several feeds from the same IP address and/or computer without problems.

yes my problem seems to have been cleared up so i would suggest asking them to move 1 feed off that server. I wonder if it has anything to do with running 2 feeds from the same IP address?

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Yup i am having the same problem again as well. But its just the 1 feed that keeps doing it the other feed stays online. Richards answer is to move the feed to another server, I was on 9audio server and he moved me to 3audio server and it seemed to work but yesterday it started again and i submitted a ticket. Richard moved me back to 9audio server.. lol Moving us to a different server is a band aid to issue they need to deal with. It wouldn't bother me much if it was the one feed that gets little to no traffic, but its my main feed that does get a fair bit of listeners... 30 - 60 I honestly don't know what the answer is for this but will try to do some pinging as Richard advised maybe it can shed some light into the real problem..

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
The problems you're having aren't associated with any of the audio servers, they're all three running identical software, are on the same network, and none are anywhere near capacity.

Most likely the problem exists somewhere along the network path between your computer and our servers. The majority of the time the problem is with the volunteer's cable or DSL modem even when you don't notice other problems related to your connection due to the fact that your connection to our server will drop if there's anything more than a small interruption in the flow of audio data.

I usually recommend that people download the trial version of Ping Plotter and have it ping one of our audio servers, then, when the problem happens again, take a look at the information it recorded to determine where along the network path your connection is being interrupted.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I kind of agree with you Gordon, but why is it only 1 feed that's doing it when i am running 2 feeds on same machine? And others are having the same issue? My feed has been moved back and forth between 3audio and 9audio servers.. Back to 9audio again. I am starting to wonder if its the server end maybe not the actual server but the connection at the servers host location.. I will try and ping it today if it happens...

wvscanner

Database Admin
I only host 1 feed but when I was running into this problem, mine did have a pattern of doing around every 20-30 days. Then got to where it would not work at all. Still with several computer all would work. I ended up changing my router out for a new one, now my outages are brief. Most time it goes around 40-60 days even when I have anything go wrong.

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
So are all the vertical red lines outages on the ping plotter graph?

The problems you're having aren't associated with any of the audio servers, they're all three running identical software, are on the same network, and none are anywhere near capacity.

Most likely the problem exists somewhere along the network path between your computer and our servers. The majority of the time the problem is with the volunteer's cable or DSL modem even when you don't notice other problems related to your connection due to the fact that your connection to our server will drop if there's anything more than a small interruption in the flow of audio data.

I usually recommend that people download the trial version of Ping Plotter and have it ping one of our audio servers, then, when the problem happens again, take a look at the information it recorded to determine where along the network path your connection is being interrupted.

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
They're instances where a ping that was sent by Ping Plotter wasn't returned.

When you start Ping Plotter it figures out all of the routers that packets from your computer pass through in order to reach our servers. Once that's done, Ping Plotter begins sending packets to each of those routers along the path and measures how long it takes for a reply to that packet to be received (if one is received at all). When Ping Plotter doesn't receive a response it shows up as a red line in the graphs at the bottom of the screen. If you see lots of red lines then it shows that there's a network congestion or some other problem along the network path. If you view the graphs for particular hops (each router a packet passes through is a hop) you may be able to determine where the problem exists.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I will complain, but who will listen. I did what was asked of me, sent in the reports from Ping Potter and nothing! Today it was doing it again off and on all day. But the funny part was it was saying down then up down then up but i was on Win amp as well listening to my feed and it wasn't dropping? So now it begs to differ, is it the Scanner cast software? I am BTW using the RR version 0.14(10307) on Windows XP

Their has been a few of us Gordon having the same issue, you going to blame all our modems on this?

bemyax

Feed Provider
After switching to a different internet service provider, my troublesome feed drops ended. It could have been the modem, the ISP, or the path causing the problem. All three of those factors changed when I made the switch. Also the feed computer. According to the Radiofeed software log, I've had two 11-second drops this month showing RadioReference timeout. If the Broadcastify service could provide an easy to use and comprehensive package to analyze these problems, the service reliability could be improved. Not so sure if it could be financially justified. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.