Stream Aircraft AM ATC to Broadcastify using RTL-SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
For about $90, you can build a fully functional streaming appliance that broadcasts Aircraft ATC to Broadcastify. Here is how I built this feed’s broadcast equipment:

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/20750

Instructions below are specific to the Raspberry Pi but can be adapted to any Linux distribution.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi_RTL-SDR_Broadcastify

Enjoy!

I'll update this post with feedback and further info as we go along. Expect over the next few months for us to make a significant investment to deploy a number of these across the country to cover live ATC communications

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 4,296
Last edited:

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
A(n almost) self-contained streaming device - I like it! Very slick. Based on the parms specified by the user, it looks like it could be used to stream more than just ATC ... lots of possibilities here. :D

pkneeyahx

Human
Could you deny my application for the appliance?

I have all of the gear required and am using this page for a how-to. i've submitted an application to be a feed provider and am going to use this setup for it instead. Tks!

a417

U+0000
..or fix your sudoer privileges.

Lindsay, you didn't notice / have any problems with the dongle directly into the Pi 2? I recall having trouble with mine (on a Pi B) due to essentially a brownout on the power rail, people on line suggested that Pi B's plug into a USB hub, to support the power rail better...

DC31

Feed Provider
i'm getting permission denied on step #5 screenshot attacched

I was getting the permission denied at that step also. Even using sudo didn't help. I can see in Pknee's screen shot above that he used sudo also and it didn't help.

I got around it by creating the dvd_blacklist.conf file manually in the /etc/modprobe.d directory using sudo nano then copying in the four items to be blacklisted.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
You may have to run the echo commands directly within a sudo shell... "sudo su -"

I've updated the commands above to reflect this. I should have a Raspberry Pi image ready for download in the next few days that will have everything pre configured and will include some setup scripts that will ask questions and configure the rest from there.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Great project here! Kudos to Lindsey! Have you seen much issues with frequency drift with the SDR dongles? Hearing stories about the drift is the only reason I haven't picked one up yet. Thanks again for everything you do!

pkneeyahx

Human
tried 3 times from the start and still couldn't do it.
so i just went to the folder and created the file myself. sudo nano dvb-blacklist.conf
dropped in the blacklist items manually

noticed you have two typos.

#6 in the code should be

sudo apt-get install ezstream

you were missing the s in ezstream.

also in #6

you are missing the opening < in the xml configuration.

thanks!

pkneeyahx

Human
if you use one with the tcxo there is very little drift.
this is the one i have on hand to use. NooElec - NooElec NESDR Mini+ Al - 0.5PPM TCXO USB RTL-SDR Receiver (RTL2832 + R820T) w/ Antenna and Remote Control, Installed in Aluminum Enclosure - SDR Receivers - Software Defined Radio

Great project here! Kudos to Lindsey! Have you seen much issues with frequency drift with the SDR dongles? Hearing stories about the drift is the only reason I haven't picked one up yet. Thanks again for everything you do!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
tried 3 times from the start and still couldn't do it.
so i just went to the folder and created the file myself. sudo nano dvb-blacklist.conf
dropped in the blacklist items manually

noticed you have two typos.

#6 in the code should be

sudo apt-get install ezstream

you were missing the s in ezstream.

also in #6

you are missing the opening < in the xml configuration.

thanks!

Thanks for catching these.. I've updated the original post. I'll turn this into a Wiki article shortly pending more feedback.

Also, I've tested running two instances of rtl_fm now on the instance and it works and streams just fine.

DC31

Feed Provider
Thanks for catching these.. I've updated the original post. I'll turn this into a Wiki article shortly pending more feedback.

Also, I've tested running two instances of rtl_fm now on the instance and it works and streams just fine.

Yes, Lindsey, I found the exact same three typos when I installed it!

I am trying to stream to an icecast server which resides on the pi. For me this is much easier for troubleshooting and getting audio levels correct rather than going live and then trying to sort it out. However, I haven't been successful streaming to icecast. I am not really sure if the problem is with icecast or ezstream. I am doing this on a Model B pi as my pi2 is in service elsewhere. Could the old pi be the problem.?

Here is my ezstream configuration:
<ezstream>
<url>http://localhost:8000/your_mount</url>
<sourcepassword>hackme</sourcepassword>
<format>MP3</format>
<filename>stdin</filename>
<svrinfoname>Stream Name</svrinfoname>
<svrinfourl>http://www.broadcastify.com</svrinfourl>
<svrinfogenre>Scanner</svrinfogenre>
<svrinfodescription></svrinfodescription>
<svrinfobitrate>16</svrinfobitrate>
<svrinfochannels>1</svrinfochannels>
<svrinfosamplerate>22050</svrinfosamplerate>
<svrinfopublic>0</svrinfopublic>
</ezstream>

After I run the rt._fm command to start the feed, I get these two lines scrolling continuously down the screen.

ezstream: Streaming from standard input
ezstream: No (more) data available on standard input

Any suggestions?

pkneeyahx

Human
After I run the rt._fm command to start the feed, I get these two lines scrolling continuously down the screen.

Any suggestions?

I get the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.