RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Broadcastify/Live Audio Administration

Broadcastify/Live Audio Administration - Administration topics for live audio broadcasting on Broadcastify.com. This forum is for feed providers to get support. Other audio questions go here: Streaming /Broadcasting / Audio Recording forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

going to try a re-write of the image and step through the setup again
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Can 2 feeds run on the raspberry?
Old 01-12-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweschler View Post
Can 2 feeds run on the raspberry?
Yes
Old 01-23-2016, 7:42 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I set up the raspberry pi as directed and everything works great except I have a stereo feed and both scanners are coming through both speakers. In the command: "sudo nano /etc/darkice1.cfg" I have channel set to "2" for stereo feed but both scanner audio still comes through both speakers. Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2016, 1:36 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Have you considered the C.H.I.P computer (www.getchip.com) or the Raspberry Pi Zero, both are $9 computers, with a SDR stick and some accessories it would seem you could build a feed station for under $30, if they have enough power to work. (I have one of each lying around doing nothing....)
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2016, 8:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Darkice configuration not starting on reboot

Hi folks..

I'm having a similar issue with the Raspberry Pi not transmitting anything unless I restart the darkice service after a reboot.

The darkice service does show as being started but on my USB soundcard, I can tell if it is actually working as the Mic port led flashes when it is working correctly.

I had a similar issue with kplex for sending AIS information to Marinetraffic using a Raspberry Pi. It had something to do with the network IP connection not being established before the kplex program ran.

Could this be a similar issue?

Going to try this with a completely new build as I used the image - which works perfectly when darkice is restarted.

Declan
Old 07-06-2016, 5:28 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarry722 View Post
Hi folks..

I'm having a similar issue with the Raspberry Pi not transmitting anything unless I restart the darkice service after a reboot.

The darkice service does show as being started but on my USB soundcard, I can tell if it is actually working as the Mic port led flashes when it is working correctly.

I had a similar issue with kplex for sending AIS information to Marinetraffic using a Raspberry Pi. It had something to do with the network IP connection not being established before the kplex program ran.

Could this be a similar issue?

Going to try this with a completely new build as I used the image - which works perfectly when darkice is restarted.

Declan
I have been running Raspbian "Wheezy" for a number of years streaming with the Darkice package.

This last week my Pi was hosed by a cleaning crew and I reloaded Raspbian "Jessie". Things are definitely different under this distro. Even setting a static IP address was a challenge.

I found that there was indeed a timing issue and Darkice was not running properly. I could start / stop from the command line just fine but only after killing it off.

After removing Darkice from rc.d:
Code:
sudo update-rc.d -f darkice1 remove
I am adding a 60 second delay in cron and using it to start the package. Here's how:
Code:
crontab -e
Add the following line to the crontab:
Code:
@reboot sleep 60 && /etc/init.d/darkice1 start
Now all is running OK under Jessie.
MOTRAC MHT
Old 07-08-2016, 6:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Cheers rdwilson..

I'm finishing up today for the summer holiday's and not back until the start of August :-)

I'll give that a go when I come back. At the moment, I have it running okay on a Raspberry Pi B+. What I'm looking to do combine Marine Traffic AIS and Broadcastify on one Pi - Possibly a Pi B if I can get it all to work.

I think the issue with Jessie is that process are executed too early before the network is established. I'm monitoring raspberrypi.org for solutions. :-)

Declan
Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When adding a 2nd USB Sound Card to my Raspberry Pi do I need to edit the "alsamixer" command or does it use the same as the 1st Sound Card? When trying to access "alsamixer" for sound card 2 I get the Following Error:

pi@bcfypi1 ~ $ alsamixer
cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument

Any Ideas? Im going to proceed to see what happens but any ideas would be helpful
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2016, 10:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KNJ View Post
When adding a 2nd USB Sound Card to my Raspberry Pi do I need to edit the "alsamixer" command or does it use the same as the 1st Sound Card? When trying to access "alsamixer" for sound card 2 I get the Following Error:

pi@bcfypi1 ~ $ alsamixer
cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument

Any Ideas? Im going to proceed to see what happens but any ideas would be helpful
Hi..

Did you manage to get this sorted. I think you need to specify the second sound card in the darkice1.cfg file.

There is a command arecord -l (small alphabet letter L) which will tell you the soundcard hardware address of each sound card. reflect this in the Darkice1.cfg file

Declan
Old 12-02-2016, 10:49 PM

I found that using "sudo su -" just before executing rtl_fm, Lame, and Ezstream helps with streaming.

But squelch is a bit... awful. I had it set to 82.3 earlier today, and it worked great. Now it's like it's disabled. I set it to 83, and I'm still getting static, but transmissions are also being cut off in the middle.
Old 12-04-2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammashta View Post
But squelch is a bit... awful. I had it set to 82.3 earlier today, and it worked great. Now it's like it's disabled. I set it to 83, and I'm still getting static, but transmissions are also being cut off in the middle.
Disregard that. It's not bad. Just... different from the levels that worked with SDR# in Windows.
Old 01-16-2017, 8:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've had my feed running on a pi 2 for a year or more and curious if using something like this would be better and could replace the usb sound card? I've always had a problem with my feeds audio being low, and I have the config volume up and my scanner volume all the way up.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pi-dac

Also, what usb sound cards is everyone using? Please post a link and any challenges or issues if any, please.
Old 01-29-2017, 7:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5JMC View Post
I've had my feed running on a pi 2 for a year or more and curious if using something like this would be better and could replace the usb sound card? I've always had a problem with my feeds audio being low, and I have the config volume up and my scanner volume all the way up.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pi-dac

Also, what usb sound cards is everyone using? Please post a link and any challenges or issues if any, please.
I also run feeds from the RPi. One runs a cheap Ebay usb card and another runs an iMic card (around $20-30). No difference really between the two. The iMic just has lots more settings and controls. Remember this is mono scanner audio, not Dolby surround sound. All the bells and whistles of the more expensive cards just are not needed.

One of my feeds had low audio that i tolerated for months, maybe years. I then bumped into some instructions on adjusting it from the command line that allowed me to turn it up. I don't remember the command used at this point, but the guide i referred to was at:

sound - Terminal command to set audio volume? - Ask Ubuntu

Hope this helps you.
Old 03-31-2017, 1:25 PM

Default Combine two rtl_fm streams as left and right

I am currently conceptualizing a project that I would like to do. One issue with a radio scanner and listening to more than one channel that irritates me is I hate when a conversation is broken by listening to another channel, like when someone asks a question, then before the answer is given someone talks on another channel, blocking my expected answer. For this reason, I like the use of stereo. I already have a feed operating on a dedicated Windows machine that listens to my city's Motorola SmartZone trunked system that feeds the first active channel on the left channel and if another channel has traffic, it moves it to the right. That way I don't miss any action. I am wishing to build another radio feed for my neighboring city that is on a traditional VHF system. I'm thinking of running rtl-fm twice, just outputting one to left and the other to right. Can this be done using these programs and a Pi; if so, how?
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2017, 6:06 PM

Anyone know how to set a static IP with this image ?
Old 04-01-2017, 7:43 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
No guarantees but you can try the instructions. Of course, use your desired ip address. This is for a wifi connection. If you are wired it is likelt eth0

Create a file to set up a static IP for the access point:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
and have the contents like so:
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:

source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

auto wlan1

iface wlan1 inet static
address 172.20.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

Those notes came from about halfway down the page at:
https://slack-files.com/T02GVC9G6-F0H7G3WCT-25e7dfb781
Old 04-01-2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
ifconfig