Looking for others using Raspberry Pi with Radio Shack Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JMC

I have what I think is a lot of hum/background noise in my feed and have since day 1. Not sure why I didn't think of this until now, but hope I get some replies. If you're broadcasting a feed using Raspberry Pi with a Pro 106, do you mind listing the below information? Maybe this will help me find out what I can change/add to make my feed sound better. I know I'm asking for a lot of info, but I'm just hoping to make mine sound better. I've tried so many things like RF Chokes on power cord and a few different Ground Loop Isolators and can't seem to get rid of the hum/background noise.

Link to feed:

Power Cable (Brand and Model):

USB Soundcard Adapter (Prefer the link, if not the Brand and Model):

Audio Cable (Prefer the link, if not the Brand and Model):

Antenna (Brand and Model):

Scanner Volume Level:

Alsamixer Capture Level:

If you're using Darkice, can you copy/paste the settings excluding your password and mountpoint. Example of mine will be included in the 1st reply.

Last edited:

frazpo

For what it is worth, I have tracked hum noises from my former feed using the Pi to a couple of things at different times.

1. Another Scanner on same power outlet
2. Computer power supply
3. USB Sound card settings

N5JMC

Link to feed: Sherwood Police and Fire

Power Cable (Brand and Model): Enercell 9V Model 273-355 I think tip is C

USB Soundcard Adapter (Prefer the link, if not the Brand and Model): http://amzn.com/B001MSS6CS

Audio Cable (Prefer the link, if not the Brand and Model): http://goo.gl/Lr4Q5W I also tried http://goo.gl/nO4wwG

Antenna (Brand and Model): https://goo.gl/JAnVoP

Scanner Volume Level: Max. Have tried half but not enough volume to hear on the feed.

Alsamixer Capture Level: 25. I've tried 6, but the level is too low on the feed you can't hear.

Darkice Config Settings:

device = plughw:1,0
sampleRate = 22050
bitsPerSample = 16
channel = 1

bitrateMode = cbr
format = mp3
bitrate = 16
quality = 0.1
channel = 1
lowpass = 4000
sampleRate = 22050

Last edited:

N5JMC

For what it is worth, I have tracked hum noises from my former feed using the Pi to a couple of things at different times.

1. Another Scanner on same power outlet
2. Computer power supply
3. USB Sound card settings

1. I've tried my 2 other Pro 651s and same thing.
2. I'm using a Raspberry Pi. I tried the AC power supply I bought and a 3.0 USB to a powered 3.0 USB Hub. The usb cable to the usb hub makes it sound a little better than using the AC power supply for the Pi.
3. I've tried all different kind of sound card settings as well as 3 other makes of USB Sound cards and the one I'm using now gets me the best out of all of them.

ka8zay

Feed Provider
Okay you have something majorly wrong if you have to have the audio up that high in the scanner. There is no way you should have to drive that much power into the sound card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N5JMC

Okay you have something majorly wrong if you have to have the audio up that high in the scanner. There is no way you should have to drive that much power into the sound card.

I changed my scanner volume to half and the capture of the sound card to 6 to see what it sounds like.

Even when there's no broadcast there's a lot of noise in the feed. Do you hear it?

ka8zay

Feed Provider
I can't find your feed, it's not listed on your profile? Are you currently broadcasting?

N5JMC

Check now. Might need to refresh. I had it in anonymous.

ka8zay

Feed Provider
There is certainly an AC hum on there, but the static.....not sure what that is. Given everything you have tried, I wonder if you have a bad Pi and something on the board is causing it. What model Pi are you using?

ka8zay

Feed Provider
Do you have any florescent bulbs near it? The more I listen, the more it reminds me of noise from a bad ballast.

N5JMC

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Project Board - 1GB RAM - 900 MHz Quad-Core CPU https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T2U7R7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_e2iIwbC60ZD8R

No florescent bulbs nearby. Nearest is across the house and it's off. I have CFL in the bathroom on the other side of the wall but there off too. In the same room I have LED bulbs.

I also have 2 Radio Shack snap Choke Core on the scanner AC cord right at the end towards the scanner.

b6d24589c3ba7a9316802c8b2afc3f92.jpg

N5JMC

The other thing that makes me think it's not a bad pi is that if I unplug scanner AC and put batteries in, it sounds great. If you're listening did you hear me swap to batteries and all the noise go away?

The only thing is the audio is still low.

ka8zay

Feed Provider
I stopped listening so I missed that. You've tried another AC adapter?

ka8zay

Feed Provider
Have you tried a regulated power supply instead of these variable output ones? These variable output power supplies and often junk for audio.

ka8zay

Feed Provider
Well it does say it's regulated though. Hmmmm

N5JMC

Oh ok. Also it's hooked up to wall outlet. Tried APC surge protector and backup and that sounds a lot worse than this.

coolderb

[B said:
Link to feed:[/B] scanner: GRE PSR-800

Power Cable (Brand and Model): USB cable plugged into laptop

USB Soundcard Adapter (Prefer the link, if not the Brand and Model): Griffin iMic

Audio Cable (Prefer the link, if not the Brand and Model): High quality stereo cable similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Compati...sr=8-78-spons&keywords=1+8+stereo+cable&psc=1

Antenna (Brand and Model): RS 800Mhz

Scanner Volume Level: Medium

Alsamixer Capture Level:

If you're using Darkice, can you copy/paste the settings excluding your password and mountpoint. Example of mine will be included in the 1st reply.

I think your problem may be the audio interface. I had noise problems when using the inexpensive little USB interfaces. Switched to the higher quality iMic and the problems disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.