Kansas City AGAIN & Clay County

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmaSkinflint

Premium Subscriber
Why is the Kansas City P.D constantly offline??? It seems odd that often the days where there are big news events, it's offline. And the same happened today with Clay County as well. And yes, yes, I know the standard reasons, but it happens fairly frequently.

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
Instead of complaining about a FREE service provided to you, you could drop 300-500 on a digital scanner and listen all you want.

Feeds have problems, and people do have lives. Give the provider some time to get it all sorted it out and it will be back up.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Why is the Kansas City P.D constantly offline??? It seems odd that often the days where there are big news events, it's offline. And the same happened today with Clay County as well. And yes, yes, I know the standard reasons, but it happens fairly frequently.

Well stop and think.

This week Microsoft pushed several updates that required restarting of the pc several times..

And knowing who the feed provider is, he has shift work and the windoz pc it runs on is unattended most of the time.. So he may not have remembered to check the unit.

I know, my scanner pc that runs windoz also had the same issue.
The ones that had Linux did not..

Like was said earlier these guys have life outside of RR.
Be thankful this feed is here.
Don't be a whiner. Nuff said...

BTW if you see that it is down drop them a line by PM and nicely tell them it is offline.

HH

Kingscup

Feed Provider
Well stop and think.

This week Microsoft pushed several updates that required restarting of the pc several times..

And knowing who the feed provider is, he has shift work and the windoz pc it runs on is unattended most of the time.. So he may not have remembered to check the unit.

It might be a good idea to change the windows settings to download the updates and not install them. This will make it so Windows doesn't reboot. He can install the updates when he has time. That is what I had to do with my computer and I also do shift work.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Big News Events

When you talk about a "big news event", I am wondering what you're talking about. If, for example, a mass shooting were to occur in the area, then the provider would likely take it down until the situation resolved.

As a provider, no tactical or sensitive channels are to be used in the feed. However, sometimes, things happen & the provider might consider the feed too sensitive for online airing. This is to help thwart having a crook use a Smart Phone to avoid capture.

I agree. The best way to avoid downed feeds is to purchase a digital scanner. You have to know where to look. Sometimes, pawn shops don't know what they have regarding digital scanners. I know someone in my city who bought a digital scanner at a very discounted price at a pawn store. It still works.

nsrailfan6130

ImmaSkinflint,

Thank you for giving me an additional reason not to set up a feed. That's all I have to say! Also Ensnared does have a point about the sensitive info being put in the feed.

Last edited:

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
ImmaSkinflint,

Thank you for giving me an additional reason not to set up a feed. That's all I have to say! Also Ensnared does have a point about the sensitive info being put in the feed.

I have also thought about setting up a wireless feed but many people, the non-scanner owners, always have something negative to say when a FREE feed provided to them goes offline. Someone took their time and money to set up a feed and they are allowed to disable it whenever they want. As I stated they could just drop the $300-$500 on a digital scanner and monitor all they want...

nsrailfan6130

Exactly, I got a ton of stuff to offer from here, but, as long as there are people who are going to gripe, what's the point to setting it up when you are just going to take it down again when you get people who are going to moan and whine the first time your feed goes down. Forget that noise!

ImmaSkinflint

Premium Subscriber
Ah... now see... all it takes is a simple explanation, which was provided. Now THAT is appreciated. And some of you must not be able to read threads because I said early on that if I had the money, I would go buy one myself.

ImmaSkinflint

Premium Subscriber
by the way nsrailfan6130, this wasn't the "first time" the feed has gone down. It was up a couple of days ago, and it's back down again. This happens frequently. It's not a once in 12 weeks thing. I think it's been down about 10 times at least in the past 12 months. I understand there are times where there are legit issues. But when someone broadcasts, they want people to listen right? Well we can't listen if it's not provided.

jonboxkc

I would love to be able to contact the stream provider and assist him in keeping the stream up and reliable. for some reason I'm not allowed to PM on this board.

ImmaSkinflint

Premium Subscriber
Major news event going on here in KC. A building exploded and it's all over the news. Too bad we can't listen to it on radioreference/scanner radio, as the feed is down. :(

Nasby

Bust out that credit card and get urself a scanner. Then you won't miss any excitement!!!

I'll even help ya program it for free if you need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.