police involvement in closing down scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

margier

My local scanner was offline for a long time and then it says it's not even there now. I notice that the adjoining state's major city right across the state border from me has also been stopped. This happened at the same time as the stoppage of my local scanner. Do the police request scanners be inaccessible?
Thank you
I live in Rock County (Janesville) WI and the other state scanner is in Rockford, IL.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The police agencies can have a lot of influence on getting a feed of their town shut down. I was harassed by numerous police officials from a city near me when I was feeding their channels over this web site. They were not happy about it at all. They eventually went Phase II with full time encryption.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The police agencies can have a lot of influence on getting a feed of their town shut down. I was harassed by numerous police officials from a city near me when I was feeding their channels over this web site. They were not happy about it at all. They eventually went Phase II with full time encryption.

For the life of me I cannot see the harm with a delayed feed. Broadcastify doesn't like them and the police don't seem to like Broadcastify. If you get a delayed feed you have the ability to determine why the police are suddenly on your block in force. And the delay removes any tactical advantage "the bad guys" might have.

kma371

QRT

That has nothing to do with feeds getting "shut down" in the sense of removed by request. They just chose to move to a different radio protocol. Huge difference.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Rockford is encrypted. And the one feed that covered what you could hear in Winnebago county went offline when I put up my Boone county feed.

Departments had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I was harassed by numerous police officials from a city near me when I was feeding their channels over this web site. .

Beginning

They were not happy about it at all.

Middle

They eventually went Phase II with full time encryption.

The END Hello ENC

For the life of me I cannot see the harm with a delayed feed. Broadcastify doesn't like them and the police don't seem to like Broadcastify. If you get a delayed feed you have the ability to determine why the police are suddenly on your block in force. And the delay removes any tactical advantage "the bad guys" might have.

I dont thinks its about a delayed feed. It's more about they want full control over us and the media and what we know. So something happens and their dept screws up. They can't lie about it because it was streamed and can be played from archived recordings.. It about liability.

Streaming is very bad for our hobby. I would never stream over the web...

DJ11DLN

Coming from a PS background, including some LE (admittedly quite a few years ago, LOL), I can see the mentality of wanting to keep people from hearing stuff if it's "too easy." As in, you just install an app on a phone and you are listening in. I personally never cared that people were listening; there are things that shouldn't be put over the air, period. Use the cell, use the MDT if you have one...or going way back, find a pay phone and call Dispatch collect. I've done that many times myself, initiated by them or by me.

Awhile back, a feed from my area came down. The City Attorney was threatening to sue Broadcastify; the provider took it down to avoid a big mess happening. So yes, the police can and sometimes do, at least indirectly, influence feeds getting taken down. It was discussed here, of course. https://forums.radioreference.com/c...s-cease-desist-terre-haute-city-attorney.html

I didn't have an opinion about it for a long time, but I am coming to agree with those who are against these feeds. Let people do as so many of us did, save up their pennies and dimes and get a real scanner, then invest the time and effort to learn to program and use it. Or do without if they are disinclined to put forth the effort.

Chronic

Encryption

If the majority of things go encrypted there will be someone or many that will crack the encryption and it will be posted to the internet , illegal or not it will happen. It was just not too long ago people were cracking the encryption of Dish Network and Direct TV . DN and DTV would send down a ECM and in a matter of hours they would be cracked again.

mule1075

Feed Provider
If the majority of things go encrypted there will be someone or many that will crack the encryption and it will be posted to the internet , illegal or not it will happen. It was just not too long ago people were cracking the encryption of Dish Network and Direct TV . DN and DTV would send down a ECM and in a matter of hours they would be cracked again.
Think again will never happen.Keep dreaming though it is good for the soul.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Rockford is encrypted. And the one feed that covered what you could hear in Winnebago county went offline when I put up my Boone county feed.

Departments had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I should clarify, the feed that went down fed both Winnebago SD and various FD's, and also Boone County PD/SD/FD. Sorry, that's what happens when I reply at work and am thinking 3 directions at once.

margier

It's a matter of both....

Thanks for all of the responses to my question. You bring up some good points. I choose to believe someone was pressured to take the scanner down. Together they covered a huge part of my area. I think having the ability to access a scanner in your area is good for determining the safety in areas you frequent, weather conditions, monitoring police action, etc.
I did get a Uniden BCD436HP but I've had a hard time programming it and I would rather not spend $50.00 to have it programmed. Back to the manual for me I guess.

Nasby

Thanks for all of the responses to my question. You bring up some good points. I choose to believe someone was pressured to take the scanner down. Together they covered a huge part of my area. I think having the ability to access a scanner in your area is good for determining the safety in areas you frequent, weather conditions, monitoring police action, etc.
I did get a Uniden BCD436HP but I've had a hard time programming it and I would rather not spend $50.00 to have it programmed. Back to the manual for me I guess.

Good for you on two points:

1) Buying your own scanner (a very good one too)
2) Reading the manual

There are plenty of folks on here who will gladly help you with your scanner.
Also, since the scanner you bought is very popular, you will find a wealth of information just by searching in the forums.

Good luck!!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If you can't get it, maybe we can set up a time for me to run up and help you out. I've not worked with a 436, but from what I've read here in the forums, it shouldn't be hard to get working.

Status
Not open for further replies.