• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Murs and Amateur 2 meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatshovel

I have a rather odd question that I was wondering if there might be an answer to. I am looking for a couple of Handheld radios to use on the MURS band that are type certified for it. I would rather have a radio that is able to use a AA battery holder in addition to the regular standard battery pack that comes with the radio, and be able to do the band split of 136-174 so that I can use the radio on MURS and Amateur 2 meters. I would prefer the radios be of professional quality (Motorola or some other brand) if possible. Does anyone know any models that would meet this requirement? It would be nice to be able to program the Murs channels at 2 watts and the 2 meter frequencies at 2 watts or 5 watts as well. This is just a idea as I do have plenty of 2 meter equipment that I can use on the repeaters, was just looking at a alternative solution that I could just carry one radio with me instead of two.

Thanks,
Joey

Josh

The only radio I can think of that is professional grade/Motorola and can use AA batteries is the XTS3000 or 5000 radio.

They do 1 and 5 watts (adjustable) and can use AAs with the appropriate pack, although I think it takes 12 AA cells.

Flatshovel

On another note, forget about using one radio for 2 purposes. Has anyone used the Dakota Alert M538-HT radios? This would do what I want as I can just use the FT-60 that I have for Amateur work. At the cost of them it will do what I want and I will get rid of my other units and replace them with these.

Thanks,
Joey

jim202

The only radio I can think of that is professional grade/Motorola and can use AA batteries is the XTS3000 or 5000 radio.

They do 1 and 5 watts (adjustable) and can use AAs with the appropriate pack, although I think it takes 12 AA cells.

The EFJ 5100 portables can also use a battery pack with the cells in them. You would have to locate
a pack to use or try ordering one. Not sure if that option is available on the new 5100-ES radios.

W2NJS

If you read the MURS regs closely I believe that certain radio model radios that were in use before the MURS system was authorized can be legally used on MURS. That being the case, you could use one of these radios legally on MURS as well on the 2M band. You may be limited to the two top MURS channels which are wideband if you locate one of these radios which might, I say might, be the Motorola Saber as one example. Do a Google search for the MURS regs and you'll come up with what you need to know.

asd6845

If you read the MURS regs closely I believe that certain radio model radios that were in use before the MURS system was authorized can be legally used on MURS. That being the case, you could use one of these radios legally on MURS as well on the 2M band. You may be limited to the two top MURS channels which are wideband if you locate one of these radios which might, I say might, be the Motorola Saber as one example. Do a Google search for the MURS regs and you'll come up with what you need to know.

You are correct. The Saber will do this but only certain ones. The Saber I, IR,IE, II, IIR, III, and Astro. System Sabers will not program below 147 Mhz (in my experience). 154.5700 and 154.6000 will allow 2W wideband while the other 3 must narrowband 2W.

Nice thing about the Astro Saber and the XTS series, you can program the first 3 MURS channels to be 2W narrowband while making the last 2 wideband 2W and still program your 2m and even do a little P25 as well. These are 2 commercial radio types you may want to consider.

Flatshovel

Thanks for all the reply's, I sure have my work cut out for me looking for something. I was told today that the Wouxun KG-UV2D was FCC certified part 90 and would could be used for MURS and Amature 2 meter and 440 use as well. Any one know for sure if this radio is in fact legal and can be used for both services? I know it is not top grade like a Motorola would be but for the price it looks like a good solution for what I am looking for and would allow me to carry one radio and have it all so to speak. Anyone used this radio and just how well does it work?

Joey

D

DaveNF2G

If you have to make any physical modifications to a Part 90 certified transceiver in order to use it on amateur frequencies, then the original certification is invalidated and the radio may no longer be used anywhere except on amateur frequencies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the reply's, I sure have my work cut out for me looking for something. I was told today that the Wouxun KG-UV2D was FCC certified part 90 and would could be used for MURS and Amature 2 meter and 440 use as well. Any one know for sure if this radio is in fact legal and can be used for both services? I know it is not top grade like a Motorola would be but for the price it looks like a good solution for what I am looking for and would allow me to carry one radio and have it all so to speak. Anyone used this radio and just how well does it work?

Joey

It would have to be Part 95 type accepted for MURS (or Part 90, prior to a certain date and other considerations, which the Wouxun is not).

So the Wouxun would not be legal for MURS (unless they got a Part 95 cert as well, which I don't think)

Last edited:

W2NJS

You are correct. The Saber will do this but only certain ones. The Saber I, IR,IE, II, IIR, III, and Astro. System Sabers will not program below 147 Mhz (in my experience). 154.5700 and 154.6000 will allow 2W wideband while the other 3 must narrowband 2W.

Nice thing about the Astro Saber and the XTS series, you can program the first 3 MURS channels to be 2W narrowband while making the last 2 wideband 2W and still program your 2m and even do a little P25 as well. These are 2 commercial radio types you may want to consider.

The straight story about Sabers is that if you program an H43 as an H33 it remains high power but will do 136 mHz and up. I'm talking about RSS versions 6 and 7 here. The Astro Saber in VHF is always 136-174 mHz. Again, if one wants to follow the rules the best way to start is to read the MURS regs carefully.

Flatshovel

Thanks for all of the reply's and recommendations. I have tried to read through the MURS rules and at best it is hard to understand. What what I can put together the radios have to be certified under part 95 of the rules unless the radio was certified under part 90 prior to 2002 I believe. Power output has to be a 2 watts and not be able to push a button and change this level, has to do narrowband 11.25khz on the upper 3 channels and do narrowband or wideband on the upper two channels 20.00khz plus or minus 5khz. So with that said I cannot find very many HT radios that meet part 95 of the rules except the Dakota Alert radios which are legal. I do have 2 Motorola MC21CV radios and have been using them on MURS on the upper two channels only with no issues. I will have to look into the Saber units and see what I can find. The only thing with the Saber units is the software is not available to program it is it? It would be nice to use it for 2 meters and MURS use as well if say the radio can be programmed for the different 2 meter repeaters later on if you didn't have one already there. Looks like the MURS service is very limited and since there is not a lot of equipment around for it could be another service that may just die out later on due to all the darn restrictions if you are trying to stay legal.

trythis

murs and 2 meter radio

First of all, getting a murs receiver is easy and not expensive. It would be easier to just get 2 radios.
MURS radio... Ok, as a licensed and experienced ham radio operator:

In my observations MURS is hardly on the same planet with the abilities of HAM RADIO in an emergency (2 meter/.70meter dual band) which can be bought for about $150. but preferably a dual band mobile (which can be powered with a power pack or the automobile).

Here's why: First, in significant emergencies you'll get information from a decent ham radio and such users are often directly involved in the emergency help process. Well informed 2 meter users will hear what's happening on MURS (but they will be more involved probably with their ham radio for good reasons). Secondly, such a ham radio gives FAR greater transmit abiities to the user (many will transmit over 50 miles), when needed (and it may very well be needed) that's why they call them EMERGENCIES ! Even if all repeaters are down at the time, they get the weather alerts and some are on 6 or 10 meters can transmit well without repeaters, not to mention on ssb and they can still transmit on 2 meters too, without the repeaters.

There's no way I would ever choose a murs radio over a decent (and it's NOT expensive) 2/.70 meter dual band handheld. And for a little more money, you have a 2 meter/.70 meter dual band mobile which I would say is far better overall than any MURS radio in an emergency.

Why would I buy the "other" option when I have all of this AND the MURS option enclosed in one radio anyway, not by doing anything illegal but just because I can ask someone on the air about vital info. or murs info. (less the transmit ability on murs and to be honest, in such a case, who cares?)

But as a gift to MURS owners so we can help them as best possible, some HAM operators will keep a murs around somewhere, we just don't have reason to bother with it much.

For those with no repeaters anywhere that you can hit, I guess you could get both radios but I'll still take a good ham radio anyday. Where there's one ham user, I can find others and from that, it's nearly a gold mine of info. and communication. Ham operators I've worked with have information faster than it gets on MURS ! !

Also, and I'm not referring to anyone in specific but, I don't know of ANY good ham operator who would EVER advocate doing anything illegal with radios. That is NOT what ham radio is all about. We help people frequently and we do it legally.

trythis

I read some posts on murs and just giving my opinions based on extensive and licensed radio experience:
I live in a very busy, large metroplex and stood on the roof of a car, a house roof, on the ground, out a window and in various locations around the neighborhood. I could not get a single reply from anyone including the bored people working with me that day, and I never heard a single word from anyone (unless they were practically standing right in front of me).
I don't think I need to tell most ham operators how that compares to a simple, under $250. (which can also work on a battery pack) 2/.70m dual band mobile (most of which can receive whatever if anything, that would be heard on murs in that given location).
Here's why: First, in significant emergencies you'll get information from a decent ham radio and such users are often directly involved in the emergency help process. Well informed 2 meter users will hear what's happening on MURS (but they will be more involved probably with their ham radio for good reasons). Secondly, such a ham radio (get a license) gives FAR greater transmit abiities to the user when needed (and it may very well be needed) that's why they call them EMERGENCIES !
Where there's one ham user, I can find others and from that, it's nearly a gold mine of info. and communication. Ham operators I've worked with have information faster than it gets on MURS ! !And IF you live in an area which I would certainly never live in for a huge number of reasons (and yet call yourself a survivalist) such as some severe tornado prone deserted flat area with no repeaters, well....I think you're in the WRONG location.
My thoughts :)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I don't know if you realize it but you're responding to a thread that hasn't been active in 3 years?

trythis

older threads

Ya, sometimes I'll respond to an older thread that interests me.
Well maybe I'll start a new trend :)
No worries...

Status
Not open for further replies.