• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun Dual Band KG-UV920R mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squad10

Pre-release picture from Wouxun KG-UVD1 Group

Attachments

• KG-UV920R--Dual%20Band%20Mobile.jpg
    KG-UV920R--Dual%20Band%20Mobile.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 13,732

KD8OVN

SAR923

Looks like another Kenwood copy. Wouxun's dual band handheld seems to be a really good deal for the money. As I wrotge in another post here, several of the local hams have one and they haven't found any real issues with them. If the mobile has the same build quality, I imagine the price will be about $150-$175. The Chinese are building some really good radios, including Motorola branded radios and Motorola and Kenwood clones. I'd be worried if I was Yaesu or Icom.....

elk2370bruce

In addition to the price (inquiring minds and us rig monkeys wanna know), will they be releasing the 144/220 version some time in the near future? For the price of their ht's, they are a dynamite radio and I'm looking forward to trying their mobiles.

wa4hrk

Like many others, I've been blown away with my dual band Wouxun HT that I bought at the Shelby Hamfest. Raw audio and power in and out is much better than my Kenwood THD7 or my Icom ICW32A and the price can NOT be beat!! Looking forward to owning one of these units!

W2SJW

Database Admin
The radio has been 'sourced' visually from the Yaesu FT-8800 (just the looks, not the internal guts!).

They are estimating Q1-2011 availability for about $200.00 - It will be a VHF/UHF or VHF/220, just like the current KG-UVD1P & KG-UV2D portables.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Local importer is saying Jan 2011 availability. He's pretty well plugged in to the factories 'over there' so should be fairly accurate.

I agree, the Chinese radio manufacturers are churning out some remarkable radios... starting to rival and even in some cases exceed performance levels offered by the big name suppliers. Besides, pretty much most consumer & commercial grade stuff is made in Asia now anyway. Looks like the China manufacturing industry is at a point where Japanese industry was about 20 years ago when they lifted their game from 'cheap & nasty' to 'reasonably priced & good quality'.

If this is the shape of things to come, then there could be some very interesting times ahead for the hobby.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Is that a detatchable head I see? If so, I'll definitely be getting one when they hit the stores / eBay.

SSSG

:)

KC9AXZ

Dont count on them not hitting eBay when released! They will be on eBay and at cut throat prices. You will find them shipping direct from China and prices will be low. The problem is if you want to save $10-$20 direct you will have shipping waits up to a month. If you want it faster spend a few more bucks and buy it from a US seller. Of course you'll get the same item with less wait.

Jon KC9AXZ

Fast1eddie

I suppose the real question to ask yourselves is will Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom become price competitive??

And when will we begin speaking Chinese after they call in all of our outstanding debt??? Think real hard about what you are supporting here.....

elk2370bruce

I suppose the real question to ask yourselves is will Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom become price competitive??

And when will we begin speaking Chinese after they call in all of our outstanding debt??? Think real hard about what you are supporting here.....

And who's fault is that? Why blame them for the crappy way our international balance of trade has been run (during the reign of several Presidents) and American jobs outsourced due to pure American corporate and union greed. As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

Never said I was blaming anyone, although if fellow hobbyists insist on purchasing from China they are contributing to the problem. See you in Chinese language class.

Make it a point to buy American or do without.

elk2370bruce

Never said I was blaming anyone, although if fellow hobbyists insist on purchasing from China they are contributing to the problem. See you in Chinese language class.

People will begin to "buy American" again once the formerly high quality of manufacturing has been restored to our products and pricing is competitive. So long as foreign manufacturers turn out better products (not just radios), the slippery slope or American labor will continue to exist. People will not buy junk just because its made here by slip-shod and overpriced union labor.

N4KVE

And what AMERICAN company is currently making amateur radio dualbanders that I can buy to support them? GARY N4KVE

wwhitby

Feed Provider
And what AMERICAN company is currently making amateur radio dualbanders that I can buy to support them? GARY N4KVE

Our electronics industry has been based in Asia for quite some time. First Japan, then Malaysia, and now China. Sadly, we don't have an electronics industry in the US anymore....:(

I'm going to take a hard look at their mobile. I've been looking for a detachable head dual band mobile that is narrowband capable for railfanning.

Warren

K4APR

Wow, looks great. I would love to know if they bothered to add a 6 pin mini-din packet port on the back, like most of the higher end dual banders. I am excited about the 220 option!

elk2370bruce

It is nice to see a dual band 220 transceiver on the market and is going to be more affordable that the Alinco and Jetstream single band models. Since Wouxun entered the market, there has been a marked rise in the amount of use of the existing 220 repeaters in our area that had previously been largely unused. As alluded above, since there is NO amateur radio equipment being manufactured in the US (along with a growing percentage of commercial gear being outsourced), I prefer to use my licensing privileges and not to do without (on any band).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.