• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UVD1P MODS (UNLOCK TRUNKED FREQ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricorey

Hello everyone,

I purchased a Wouxun KG-UVD1P and it is a very excellent radio. Its has a very good RX range although I have noticed that quite a few of the frequencies are trunked. From what I have heard from several veterans, all i have to do is find a resistor that blockes trunked frequencies from being heard.

My Question: Does anyone know how to remove the resistor or know of a way for me to open trunked frequencies so that i can, Just Listen, as I would a scanner?

Thank You!

Tommahawk

There is no such resistor. The radio is not a P25 compatible radio....... and it is not setup for trunking It will not follow the conversations

Maybe you saw the 'Groups'.... The groups in the manual are a list of the CTCSS and DCS tones, not actual frequencies that can be followed.... Bad English translation, but from what I understand a great little radio for the buck

Last edited:

W2NJS

That Wouxon radio is analog only and has no digital or trunking capabilities whatsoever. Virtually all trunking today is digital. What you heard about removing a resistor usually applies to amateur radios to modify them so that they will transmit outside the amateur bands which is generally a bad and illegal idea.

SCPD

QRT
That radio already transmits well out of band right out of the box. no mod needed for that

ricorey

Cool. Thank you guys. I was under the impression that i could use it as a scanner. I guess i would have to by me a scanner now. lol

n8mrc

Feed Provider
You can...

Cool. Thank you guys. I was under the impression that i could use it as a scanner. I guess i would have to by me a scanner now. lol

Well you can use it as a scanner, just analog. When you program the radio don't put anything
in the TX part and you should be good to go. I own two of these radios and love them both!!

K9WG

That Wouxon radio is analog only and has no digital or trunking capabilities whatsoever. Virtually all trunking today is digital. What you heard about removing a resistor usually applies to amateur radios to modify them so that they will transmit outside the amateur bands which is generally a bad and illegal idea.
First it is NOT illegal to modify the radio to transmit outside of the Amateur bands. In fact I have three transceivers modified to do just that, two VHF and one HF. Second I have used my transceivers out of band many times for MARS operations so there is a valid reason to do the modification, The only thing illegal would be for an person to transmit on a frequency they are not licensed for. Now is it a bad idea? In my not so humble opinion, unless you have a reason (i.e. MARS) to do so it is probably not a wise thing to do.

K9WG

How about a person authorized to utilize a frequency but the radio is not type accepted for that frequency?
You are correct if you want to get to that degree of technically. You could also say that it is illegal to transmit on a commercial aircraft in flight. I was just responding that it is not illegal to modify a transmitter to transmit outside of it's designed range. It's up to the person doing the modification to properly use the transmitter.

n1das

Not all trunking today is digital. There are plenty of trunking systems in use today that still have analog voice. Given that the radio doesn't have any trunk-tracking capabilities, you would have to program in all channels used by the trunked system and then scan the voice channels as conventional channels. This is how it was done back in the days before trunk-tracking scanners were developed. Don't forget to lock out the control channel.

I think the OP was asking if any 800/900MHz coverage could be turned on at all, having nothing to do with decoding P25 digital. I'm not familiar with this radio and don't own one so I can't help.

Last edited:

lightningx54

Feed Provider/Amateur Radio Operator
Feed Provider
Hello everyone,

I purchased a Wouxun KG-UVD1P and it is a very excellent radio. Its has a very good RX range although I have noticed that quite a few of the frequencies are trunked. From what I have heard from several veterans, all i have to do is find a resistor that blockes trunked frequencies from being heard.

My Question: Does anyone know how to remove the resistor or know of a way for me to open trunked frequencies so that i can, Just Listen, as I would a scanner?

Thank You!

Do you mean so it'll open the radio up to the 800MHz band? If so, if you find anything, i'm looking for that too.

D

DaveNF2G

The Wouxon portables are certified for amateur (Part 97) and land mobile (Part 90) use.

They receive well beyond the amateur bands out of the box. Unlocking software is needed to enable transmitting outside of the ham bands. No hardware modifications are necessary.

I wish they would certify the 440 model for GMRS (Part 95) use, too.

N0BDW

The Wouxon portables are certified for amateur (Part 97) and land mobile (Part 90) use.

They receive well beyond the amateur bands out of the box. Unlocking software is needed to enable transmitting outside of the ham bands. No hardware modifications are necessary.

I wish they would certify the 440 model for GMRS (Part 95) use, too.

I don't believe there is actually a certification for part 97? The radio is licensed through the license of the operator. You can build a radio from scratch and use it on amateur bands if you have an amateur license. This is different from any other radio service that I'm aware of where both the radio and the operator must be licensed (if not individually, as an organization).

+1 about part 95, I'd love to use them legally for MURS.

D

DaveNF2G

I believe that mass-produced transmitters still have to be approved by the FCC because of the potential for mass interference.

The amateur station is issued a callsign. The control operator's license class is what controls the conditions under which the station may be operated. A single document is issued that reflects both grants of authorization. Hence the intricate rules for station identification.

Last edited:

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
just out of curiosity is the mood for extended coverage on the wouxun portables hardware or software based? my son in law was using my vx 7 for work at his security job and killed the radio during a drop from a moving van. i'm bent to say the least. he's replacing the radio to me with a vx 8 in a few weeks but has to buy a cheap replacement for work first and asap. i told him to get the wouxun as I just know he's gonna do something stupid again.

n5ims

just out of curiosity is the mood for extended coverage on the wouxun portables hardware or software based? my son in law was using my vx 7 for work at his security job and killed the radio during a drop from a moving van. i'm bent to say the least. he's replacing the radio to me with a vx 8 in a few weeks but has to buy a cheap replacement for work first and asap. i told him to get the wouxun as I just know he's gonna do something stupid again.

It's done through the programming software, no hardware mod required.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
OK to use

For a security job. I take it this means I can use a VX-8R on my security's frequency in the 463 mhz range? Is that different than using the Wouxun?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For a security job. I take it this means I can use a VX-8R on my security's frequency in the 463 mhz range? Is that different than using the Wouxun?
NO,do not use a vx-8 as it's not a commercial radio,and that's all that needs to be said. :)

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.